Class 142 'Skipper' Colours

Guest Half-full

Guest Half-full

Hi All

Im planning to repaint one of my Pacers into the WR Brown/Cream Skipper livery, would I use GWR Coaching Stock colours for this?  Cant quite tell from photo's

Thanks in advance

If memory serves me right they were the same colour as the GWR 150 set of coaches and the other DMUs such as the 117 and 121.

So BR era chocolate and cream as used on the BR Mark Ones. Which was supposedly the same as GWR but always seems as bit duller to me. Probably because they weren't highly varnished.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/35572185891/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/metromadme/9026723795

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

Guest Half-full
7 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

If memory serves me right they were the same colour as the GWR 150 set of coaches and the other DMUs such as the 117 and 121.

So BR era chocolate and cream as used on the BR Mark Ones. Which was supposedly the same as GWR but always seems as bit duller to me. Probably because they weren't highly varnished.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/35572185891/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/metromadme/9026723795

Jason

Fantastic Jason, thank you

What was throwing me was the cream looked very white, wasn't until I looked at the 2nd photo that I noticed the white stripe above the mid-body brown stripe white seems to lighten the surrounding cream

Edited by Half-full

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Does anyone know what colour the interior soft trim was on the Skippers?

I seem to remember they had vertical striped seats that were blue and grey flecks but a long time ago now 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Dave47549 said:

2+2 seating, that'll be a 141?

Try this instead:

000pint.png.b8c26694fc7a4904f3c333a04506b195.png

(not my pic, cropped from an uncredited image in my library)

That's the ones 

It occurred to me  that the 142's may have all had seat trim that matched the outside livery, eg a GM spec for the first 14 similar to bus seating used in the region and that the blue band version was on 142028 upwards as they were turned out with blue exteriors leading me to think the Skippers may have had something different?!

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

New Skipper question- when were the handrails added below the windscreens?

Can't answer that, but the picture you linked to states it was taken May 25 1986 and thus it appears to have happened reasonably quickly.  So just when to you want your unit to be accurate for?

And to complicate matters, did the additional parts start getting added in the factory and BR were simply slow in upgrading the existing units or was it all added after delivery to BR?

8 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

I've found some in service shots of them without handrails and this one (not mine)...

1986-05-25 Exeter 142s

So I figure if I'm doing one in early days I need to slice the handrail off both ends??!

Note also that there is a step on either side of the coupler for the units with handrails that would also need to be removed if you want to be the specific.

11 hours ago, mdvle said:

Can't answer that, but the picture you linked to states it was taken May 25 1986 and thus it appears to have happened reasonably quickly.  So just when to you want your unit to be accurate for?

And to complicate matters, did the additional parts start getting added in the factory and BR were simply slow in upgrading the existing units or was it all added after delivery to BR?

Note also that there is a step on either side of the coupler for the units with handrails that would also need to be removed if you want to be the specific.

Well spotted on the step, I hadn't noticed that. I've decided to leave them on and as my era is 1986/1987 onwards (lots of scope creep on dates!) but I now need to add steps...