1980s article - PLA system - "The Millwall Circle"

Hi

Asking the assembled wisdom of the RMWeb...

Back in 1985/86, I used an article published in a model railway magazine as the basis for one of my A level Geography projects.  This was back pre-internet days, so the article/magazine was sacrificed to provide the photos to illustrate my descriptions etc.

Sadly, I never got the project back (it and the other two I did were kept by the course teacher to show as examples to other students!) and I cannot remember which magazine it was that the article was in.

I wonder if anyone remembers it?  I seem to remember (but I may be misremembering) that the magazine had an orange border to the cover; I also think it had the Airfix logo quite prominently in the upper left corner?  Was there such a thing as an Airfix magazine for modellers?

If anyone does have a copy, I am sure it also contained layout ideas!

Cheers

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Autospell ignores typos and allows substitute words - so what is the point?!

On 21/05/2020 at 18:29, Steamport Southport said:

It'll be Model Trains.

A short lived magazine sponsored by Airfix until Airfix went bankrupt. It then merged with Scale Trains to make Scale Model Trains.

http://magazineexchange.co.uk/cw/Model-Trains-1982

Jason

Jason - thank you so much!  I've checked these and "The Millwall Circle" was the article - as soon as I saw the title I remembered that was what it was called!  That particular issue also had an article about converting the O scale Atlas 0-6-0 diesel loco into a British outline shunter, and my dad did just that! (I have a photo, somewhere.)

April 1982 also had the Lirpa Loof model railway - if I remember rightly, that was an April fool article showing actual locos and stock on a continental system, photographed in such a way as to make it look like a model!

Well, I wouldn't ever have found that without your help! Kudos to Jason and to RMWeb!

Steve S

Update

Purchased!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Update
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, crackedmember said:

You also asked if there was an Airfix Magazine for Modellers.  Airfix Magazine was a seperate magazine and ran from about 1964 to 1993. 

Ah, I think I was unclear - I meant an Airfix magazine for railway modellers, rather than their range of kits from ships to tanks to planes to military personnel*

Cheers

Steve S

* if I remember correctly

Having got a copy of the relevant magazine "Model Trains Feb/Mar 1982", the article The Millwall Circle by Colin Withey was for 'a prototype for a 'table-top' OO gauge model railway', with a plan designed as a step up from running trains on the carpet "when the novelty of that new starter set wears off".  However, as it lists Peckett No 74 (as produced by Hornby) in the roster of locomotives that served the India & Millwall Docks, and in particular 'The Ramp' with the circle (oval) of track around it, it did seem very timely to be reading it having recently purchased said locomotive from The Locoshed in Manchester!

What a shame the article can't be reprinted, and maybe updated with a revised track plan by one of our current micro layout designers?  The original article has a wealth of prototype information (probably why I stole based my A level project on it!) but was written long before RTR industrial locomotives became the quasi-Swiss watches that they are now!

I've included a (dodgy) photo of the trackplan in the articles as food for thought  - if that breaches copyright etc, please let me know (AY or other Mods) and I will remove.

HOURS OF FUN

IMG_1006.JPG

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 1