Help Sourcing OO Rail Chairs with Spigots?

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking for a source to buy some OO gauge plastic rail chairs, but I need them to have a spigot on the bottom to locate into a hole in a plate (similar to the system the FineTrax N gauge point kits use, but obviously in OO).

Does anyone make such a thing? Ideally I need types for code 75 rail, both bullhead and flat-bottomed. I only need standard chairs, no double or slide ones.

I've tried C&L but they don't seem to do them, who else can I try? I've never built points before, so have no clue about what suppliers are out there.

Thanks,

Jonathan

The only chairs I know of were the original K&L design by Len Newman. They had 2 pips which slotted into 2 holes on one side of the sleeper and 2 slors in the other side designed to allow gauge widening. The sleepers were only produced for P4. I still have a number of these somewhere. When Alan gibson took over the marketing of them the pips were removed to allow any 4mm gauge to be constructed.

• Thanks 1

I think the plastic chairs (IL-120) made by Peco for their conductor rail have a spigot on them.

But on the other hand, these chairs are designed for Peco's own code 60 FB rail, so if you need to use code 75 FB obviously they won't be relevant.

On 22/05/2020 at 09:36, jrb said:

I'm looking for a source to buy some OO gauge plastic rail chairs, but I need them to have a spigot on the bottom to locate into a hole in a plate (similar to the system the FineTrax N gauge point kits use, but obviously in OO).

Does anyone make such a thing? Ideally I need types for code 75 rail, both bullhead and flat-bottomed. I only need standard chairs, no double or slide ones.

I've tried C&L but they don't seem to do them, who else can I try? I've never built points before, so have no clue about what suppliers are out there.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jonathan

You have 3 sources of plastic chairs/fixings in 4 mm scale

Peco do Pandrol fixings for flatbottom rail

That leaves you with C&L and Exactoscale, the latter through their design of the P4 Track Company turnout kits used the opposite method, location spigots on the timbers round holes under the chairs, older C&L chairs had a square hole, C&L now have new sprues on 2 & 3 bolt chairs no idea if these have holes

If its to fit on to something you have, I suggest use existing designs and glue the items together

If designing something include a locating spigot not a hole

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Jonathan

You have 3 sources of plastic chairs/fixings in 4 mm scale

Peco do Pandrol fixings for flatbottom rail

That leaves you with C&L and Exactoscale, the latter through their design of the P4 Track Company turnout kits used the opposite method, location spigots on the timbers round holes under the chairs, older C&L chairs had a square hole, C&L now have new sprues on 2 & 3 bolt chairs no idea if these have holes

If its to fit on to something you have, I suggest use existing designs and glue the items together

If designing something include a locating spigot not a hole

Thanks John (and everyone else that replied!). It's to go into a laser-cut base, so putting holes in it is easy but adding a spigot to the base isn't possible.

Back to the drawing board, unfortunately. Oh well.

Jonathan

1 minute ago, jrb said:

Thanks John (and everyone else that replied!). It's to go into a laser-cut base, so putting holes in it is easy but adding a spigot to the base isn't possible.

Back to the drawing board, unfortunately. Oh well.

Jonathan

Jonathan

Many railway modellers use laser cut track bases without any issues with plastic chairs, you just need to use the correct solvent. Butanone

Butanone has a component which allows the materials in the chairs to melt into the grain of the ply. MEK used to but a few years ago they altered the chemicals and it is no where as effective as it was. You could also use industrial grade superglue, 

As  said this is standard stuff for many track builders, just give it a try