The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Pubs re-opening

rockershovel

52 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

The Spoons near Exeter St Davids, The Imperial is one exception that has a huge indoor area but an even bigger garden. It can get very busy but must be one of the easiest to be able to set up for social distancing and a good one to have a word with Mr Martins and his views as its local to him and is a regular visitor but I have yet to see him there. Its our first choice for breakfast when in Exeter. The orangery would make a fantastic layout room.

The issue with Spoons app when we have tried to use it, you can't order the more interesting ales.

Yes I agree, the Imperial is pretty impressive, and makes a good first/last stop between St Davids station and the real St James Park. When going to the football I usually try to take in one random pub in the city centre on the way up to the football, and another pint there.

I do seriously worry for a large number of pubs by the time this is over. That is a great shame because a good pub where the landlord, staff, and customers all look out for one another can be a great asset, especially if hosting various sporting or social clubs and groups and events.   

cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

That's how it's being reported  by the journalists. They have been brought up with the economic orthodoxies of monetarism.

I believe that current economic circumstances internationally may mean that these beliefs are false - so long as all major countries are in much the same situation. In that case, you can solve the problem by "printing money" rather than by borrowing. Normally that would cause inflation but CoViD has suppressed demand to a point where inflation is not an issue.

This is an interesting one, because the money printing carried out in recent times has been directed straight to the banks, on the basis that it would shore up their balance sheets. It wasn’t released directly into general circulation. It wasn’t a new concept, in that the Japanese used it with a measure of success at one time. 

Edited by rockershovel

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

This is an interesting one, because the money printing carried out in recent times has been directed straight to the banks, on the basis that it would shore up their balance sheets. It wasn’t released directly into general circulation. It wasn’t a new concept, in that the Japanese used it with a measure of success at one time. 

However it DOES rather depend upon the recipient banks not simply reverting to their former behaviour, and causing a further iteration of the same problems, which is a fairly large expectation, on the evidence. The Japanese managed this because their system is quite tightly interlocked, but our system doesn’t work that way; you could see this in action when the Chancellor gave the banks money for business loans under the Furlough Scheme.... who just treated it as a free pass to “business as usual”....

They certainly did initially. But the Govt seems to have got round that at the second attempt.

5 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

They certainly did initially. But the Govt seems to have got round that at the second attempt.

So they did, but it didn’t get around the problem identified by No 1 Son, that it was still a debt, owned by the bank, and owner-managed businesses are very cautious about that sort of thing... 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rockershovel said:

That’s something I learnt long ago; bad American bars are REALLY bad. I must confess that I’ve never had a drink slid along the bar to me; do they really do that? 

I wasn't aware about the bar rules, either; I just thought it was a case of “when in Rome”..

Out in the wild West, a young gunslinger walked into the saloon, pulled out his revolver, and shot a perfect hole through a gleaming white stetson.

The barkeep said "That's fancy shooting kid, can I have a look at your six-shooter?" The young kid handed it over.....

"If I was you, said the barkeep, I'd file off the hammer and the barrel sight, and cover the whole thing is axle grease"

"Will it help me to draw faster?" Said the kid.

"Possibly", said the barkeep. "But when Big Jim comes back from the toilet, and sees what you've done to his stetson, he's going to shove that gun up your ar$e......."

• Funny 1

2 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Out in the wild West, a young gunslinger walked into the saloon, pulled out his revolver, and shot a perfect hole through a gleaming white stetson.

The barkeep said "That's fancy shooting kid, can I have a look at your six-shooter?" The young kid handed it over.....

"If I was you, said the barkeep, I'd file off the hammer and the barrel sight, and cover the whole thing is axle grease"

"Will it help me to draw faster?" Said the kid.

"Possibly", said the barkeep. "But when Big Jim comes back from the toilet, and sees what you've done to his stetson, he's going to shove that gun up your ar$e......."

When do we get to the part about the barrel? 

Our 10 people limit has been upped to 50 as of next week,  rules are pretty simple:

Each patron must have at least four-square-metres of space

Bookings can be no larger than 10 people

No patrons will be allowed to stand, mingle or dance

Shared cutlery and buffets are also banned

These are NSW rules , other stated are going at their own pace. Our schools reopen today too.

We've had very low infection and death rates luckily.  NSW has been down to 2 or less new infections per day for a couple of weeks. 

Its all relative though - everyone has become used to these low rates though so any rise to even a couple of  dozen or so daily new infections as we open up is going to seem a huge rise and be pretty panic causing. Our leadership  have had to talk up higher numbers as something to be expected as we  reopen things since the general population is more reticent.

National NRL Rugby League comp restarts Thursday night in empty stadiums.

Edited by monkeysarefun