Loksound V4 gone strange in loco?

TheEastSuffolkman

A couple of weeks ago, I acquired a 21pin Blank Loksound V4 second hand off a well known auction site, with the intention of reblowing it on my lokprogrammer and installing it into my Class 45 to replace the factory fitted V3.5.

After receiving the chip, i tested as a blank chip (basic, minimal stock sounds were already on it to prove it worked) on my lokprogrammer with my decoder tester, and all seemed well and good.

I then ordered the sound file from DC kits as an online reblow, loaded it to the chip and tested with the decoder tester and all seemed OK.

I installed it into the Class 45 and fitted a R&R double iPhone speaker, and tested on my layout, all seemed good to start with. Then all of a sudden, the loco went unresponsive, all lights (Tail and headcodes) came on at once and the sound shut off.

I have since run some more trials on the lokprogrammer and deduced that the problem may lie with the loco rather than the decoder.

I have come to this conclusion as when i run the decoder on the decoder tester, it works perfectly, no faults. As soon as its in the loco, the faults start occurring.

Has anyone else had this experience with a loco? I have included a video of the fault for clarification.

1 minute ago, waggy said:

Think it could be a speaker problem, if you are using the speaker from the 3.5 it is 100 ohm whilst the V4 uses a 4 ohm speaker.

But the original speaker was replaced:

On 22/05/2020 at 16:58, TheEastSuffolkman said:

I installed it into the Class 45 and fitted a R&R double iPhone speaker.

So I doubt it is that simple.

3 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

But the original speaker was replaced:

So I doubt it is that simple.

Realised my mistake after i posted, now amended, some R&R speakers are 8 ohm others 4 ohm, believe the V4 uses 4 ohm

• Like 1

After i took this video, I removed the decoder and put it back in a decoder tester and it seemed to work fine again. The only things i can think that might affect it is that the speaker is wired through the board, not direct to the speaker, or that the motor has a resistor fitted to each side / Has had the TV Suppressor's removed.

Have you tried it in another loco. This would confirm if the fault is in the peak or not. 

If the decoder is faulty in another loco then the fault is in the decoder and possibly in the motor control / load control side of things. 

The motor on the ESU decoder tester does not really load the decoder as it’s not got the weight to move as if it was in a loco. 

Could well be why it was sold in the first place that it’s faulty.