GWR brake van assignments

Cofga

I would like to reletter my brake vans to reflect their assignments to relevant yards. For example on the Mortenhampstead branch I assume brake vans would be lettered for Newton Abbot since most goods trains originated and returned there. Is this a valid assumption? Would brake vans from other locations appear on that branch, for example Penzance? I assume vans lettered for Didcot would not unless a van had been recently transferred to New Abbot and not relettered quickly. Where is there a list of locations that would have had brake vans assigned to them? For example would there have been vans lettered for Exeter for use on the Teign Valley line? Would there have been vans lettered for Plymouth? I am planning to use the Teign Valley line for my layout so need to know logical locations for lettering my vans. Thanks—Larry  

• RMweb Premium

If you're modelling the Teign valley,  if the seawall was washed out, it's nothing new,  then goods trains diverted that way would almost certainly have Exeter, Newton Abbot and Laira or Plymouth vans. I don't know if vans were allocated to Torre, Paignton or Kingswear, which if so allocated may also have put in an appearance. You would have to consult the working timetable for other possibilities. During normal operations you would certainly have Exeter and Newton Abbot.

Don't forget that during times of perturbation on the seawall, you would also get the named west country trains the  CRE, the Torbay Express etc.

• Agree 1

There have been threads on here about GWR brake van allocations in the dim and distant past.

Try a general search using terms like 'RMweb toad allocation' 

Otherwise I would agree that Newton Abbot or Exeter would be the most likely brandings in everyday use.

cheers 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Rivercider said:

There have been threads on here about GWR brake van allocations in the dim and distant past.

Try a general search using terms like 'RMweb toad allocation' 

Otherwise I would agree that Newton Abbot or Exeter would be the most likely brandings in everyday use.

cheers 

Unfortunately the general search turned up nothing. Maybe the search parameters ware too specific due to asking for assignments. Computers frequently don’t give us what we want only what we ask for!

Edited by Cofga
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

If you're modelling the Teign valley,  if the seawall was washed out, it's nothing new,  then goods trains diverted that way would almost certainly have Exeter, Newton Abbot and Laira or Plymouth vans. I don't know if vans were allocated to Torre, Paignton or Kingswear, which if so allocated may also have put in an appearance. You would have to consult the working timetable for other possibilities. During normal operations you would certainly have Exeter and Newton Abbot.

Don't forget that during times of perturbation on the seawall, you would also get the named west country trains the  CRE, the Torbay Express etc.

I doubt the trackage was ever upgraded enough to take my King Class locos but the Dawlish diversion is one factor favoring this route for modeling. Maybe I need a Castle for the fleet.

7 minutes ago, Cofga said:

I doubt the trackage was ever upgraded enough to take my King Class locos but the Dawlish diversion is one factor favoring this route for modeling. Maybe I need a Castle for the fleet.

The route restriction over the Teign Valley meant that the largest permitted locos were Manors and 43XX 2-6-0s, though there are no photos of Manors on the route.

During  WWII hospital trains ran over the line to the hospital at Stover near Heathfield, I believe they were often doubled headed,

cheers