Remapping functions on Zimo MX648 - advice

MikeJT

I've just installed a Zimo MX648 in a Hornby Class 08 with the excellent sound project from Paul Chetter.

Alongside this I've fitted an equally excellent lighting kit from "Stickswipe" (via EBay).

Beyond my limited knowledge is getting all the lights to work alongside the comprehensive sounds so I'd appreciate some pointers!

The lights consist of red and white marker lights at each end, plus a cab light.

I'm not sure which wire is connected to each light as they're sealed within the small circuit boards for each end.

However:

Cab end = White and green wires

Radiator end = yellow and purple wires.

I've soldered the cab light to the aux 3 solder pad.

Pressing the following function keys in the sound project produces the following results:

F0 = white marker light illuminated, direction dependant although opposite the physical direction of travel.

F10 = red marker light at the cab end illuminated.

F19 = red marker light at the radiator end illuminated.

None of the function keys activates the cab light currently and all functions seem to be assigned in the comprehensive sound project.

Advice on where to start would be appreciated.

I'm using a NCE Power cab of that has any bearing.

Many thanks,

Mike

Mike,

The most important question is 'how do you wish your lights to operate?'

Do you want prototypical shunter/station pilot lighting? that is one red and one white lamp illiminated at each end simultaneously. (all four lamps at the same time).

Or some other scheme?

Let me know what you wish to achieve and I'll give you the CVs

One issue you have is that the white wire would normally go to the front, or radiator end, and yellow to the rear or cab end. that explains the incorrect drectionality. that's not a real problem, it can be corrected with a CV change.

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm just wanting typical 1980's shunting/station pilot operation.

Thank you for your help - I'm determined to grasp the remarkable flexibility of the Zimo function mapping eventually!

Warm regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

That should be pretty straightforward. ZIMO Swiss Mapping has it covered. I'll use the F keys assigned in the project as the light switch sound is also assigned to these keys

Assuming loco moves in the correct direction, no need to touch CV29 (for this).

Cab light, using Aux 3.

CV442 = 19  (value = number of the operating F key.)

CV444 = 3    (value =  Function Output or Aux to assign in forward direction)

CV446 = 3    (value =  Function Output or Aux to assign in rearward direction)

'Shunting' Lamps.

All on one F key:

F key 0 and Function Outputs FOf and FOr are special cases, since using 0 as a value in ZSM means 'nothing assigned', so F key 0 is represented by a value of 29, FOf by 14 and FOr by 15.

You can assign up to two FOs in each direction in ZSM, but you may assign more than one ZSM group to the same F key.

For shunting, we need 4 FOs in each direction operated simultaneously.i.e two ZSM groups:

CV430 = 29

CV432 = 15

CV433 = 1

CV434 = 15

CV435 = 1

and

CV436 = 29

CV438 = 14

CV439 = 2

CV440 = 14

CV441 = 2

To avoid F key 19 also operating the red at the front end, you must disable the current assignmentto that key.

CV442 = 0

also, not absolutely necessary but good housekeeping:

CV444 = 0

CV446 = 0

If I've understood you correctly, that should be it. Shunting lights on F0, Cab light on F10, nothing on F19 except the light switch sound. (you can remove that too if you wish; CV567 = 0).

Best regards,

Paul

On 23/05/2020 at 09:17, pauliebanger said:

Hi Mike,

That should be pretty straightforward. ZIMO Swiss Mapping has it covered. I'll use the F keys assigned in the project as the light switch sound is also assigned to these keys

Assuming loco moves in the correct direction, no need to touch CV29 (for this).

Cab light, using Aux 3.

CV442 = 19  (value = number of the operating F key.)

CV444 = 3    (value =  Function Output or Aux to assign in forward direction)

CV446 = 3    (value =  Function Output or Aux to assign in rearward direction)

'Shunting' Lamps.

All on one F key:

F key 0 and Function Outputs FOf and FOr are special cases, since using 0 as a value in ZSM means 'nothing assigned', so F key 0 is represented by a value of 29, FOf by 14 and FOr by 15.

You can assign up to two FOs in each direction in ZSM, but you may assign more than one ZSM group to the same F key.

For shunting, we need 4 FOs in each direction operated simultaneously.i.e two ZSM groups:

CV430 = 29

CV432 = 15

CV433 = 1

CV434 = 15

CV435 = 1

and

CV436 = 29

CV438 = 14

CV439 = 2

CV440 = 14

CV441 = 2

To avoid F key 19 also operating the red at the front end, you must disable the current assignmentto that key.

CV442 = 0

also, not absolutely necessary but good housekeeping:

CV444 = 0

CV446 = 0

If I've understood you correctly, that should be it. Shunting lights on F0, Cab light on F10, nothing on F19 except the light switch sound. (you can remove that too if you wish; CV567 = 0).

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to do this.

The shunting lights now operate perfectly on F0.

I did have a bit of a wobble as the cab light still didn't work. Having studied your instructions I realised the cv assignments at the start of your post (cv442, 444 and 446) had been cancelled out at the end of your post.

I've now set cv442=19, cv444=3 and cv446=3.

This operates the cab light perfectly on F19 as per the sound project and the marker lights at each end on F0.

I just have the light switch sound on F10 which is fine by me.

Your sound project is fabulous by the way - easily the most impressive I have.

Add to that the amazing Zimo decoder with its flexibility and I'm a very happy chap!

Thank you!

Mike

• Agree 1

Doh!

That's what happens when a) you are concentrating more on your bacon butty than what you type and b) not reading what you've written before posting.

Sorry.

Alternatively:

Congratulations on passing the tutorial's in-built comprehension test.

In any event, thank you for your kind words regarding my sound project. I'm glad that it's giving you such pleasure.

Best regards,

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 1