What is the best dcc controller?

That is difficult to answer without bias. Many of us like our systems because we have become familiar with how they work.

I don't suppose you know of anything else you may want from it (easy access to functions 10-28, the ability to call up a loco by name instead of its 4 digit address, being able to connect a PC/Mac/PI, speed handle instead of a wheel or buttons).

A few minutes on the phone to Jeremy at Digitrains or Kevin at Coastal DCC, who both sell a variety of systems will be helpful.

If you are at a club, it will be worth finding out what others have too. Several members at my club have NCE Powercabs, so we are able to use them together on a layout & also help each other with issues

One member has a Gaugemaster Prodigy & if he had an issue we would be unable to help because the rest of is are unfamiliar with it.

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

That is difficult to answer without bias.

I think you’re wrong there.

I think it’s impossible to answer, full stop. :D

There’s no such thing as the best system. You really need to know what you want to do with the system and what kind of look and feel you want on the controller itself.

For example, do you want to control points as well as locos?

Do you prefer a touchscreen or physical buttons and knobs?

Do you want to use mimic diagram and be able to set routes or will you be happy remembering point address so that you can change them?

Do you want to be able to call up a loco by selecting its photo or by remembering and selecting its address?

Etc,etc

Regards,

John P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Which is the best DC system? The one you prefer to use the most.

Create a list of what you want your system to do. Do you want to control points? Do you want to plug in a PC to help with programing using JMRI? Do you want to automate your layout?

Once you know the answers to these questions (and others!), spend time using as many different systems as you can.

Steven B

Guest Half-full

How long is a piece of string?!

Seeing as you are starting off with a Bachmann Class 90, the decoder needs a system that can access all functions.  That rules out Bachmann E-Z Command, and the basic Hornby Select.

There are a couple of systems that don't get good reviews - Hornby Elite and Bachmann Dynamis, I had a Dynamis a few years back and it lasted a week before I returned it.  Some people I know with Gaugemaster systems aren't very happy with them.

I used an NCE PowerCab for 10 years or so, now I used Roco z21 (which is different from Z21), but I am thinking of returning to NCE for reliability.

As said above, it depends on what you are looking for out of the system.  Many systems have features that you may never use, and expensive doesn't mean better!

I would say the essentials are 4 Digit Addressing, decoder reading, ability to use a separate programming track, 28 function capability and above all, ease of use. 

• RMweb Gold

Also ask yourself what you want it for. I have a couple of ZTC systems that I use for my big layouts, but for my shunting plank that I just use for having fun on the table in the dining room, I bought a Pi-Sprog system that is mounted beneath it. It is inexpensive, JRMI compliant, I can control it from an old iPhone and, being part of the board, it is all up and running in about 10 seconds.

Roy

6 hours ago, Lantavian said:

...So I'd say hold the camera in your hands. If it doesn't feel right, or if you find the controls confusing and in the wrong place, then the specs don't really matter that much...

Bob on. This is a piece of hobby kit and should be fun to use! The system(s) that 'just fit' in or under your hand, such that you quickly become unconsciously competent with it, is what you want. And really, that (inconveniently at present) means 'hands on' is the best method of selection.

(Another good analogy that most will be familiar with is cars. They all essentially do the same thing, but you have to try them to avoid those that give you backache (Dog), this one that rattles your fillings out (Biene), that one with the controls concealed by the steering wheel (Lemon), and yet another with a poor engine set up (Fraud); and many, many other criteria. Our varying physiognomy, perceptions and preferences mean there is no 'best'.)

Guest Half-full
4 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Bob on. This is a piece of hobby kit and should be fun to use! The system(s) that 'just fit' in or under your hand, such that you quickly become unconsciously competent with it, is what you want. And really, that (inconveniently at present) means 'hands on' is the best method of selection.

(Another good analogy that most will be familiar with is cars. They all essentially do the same thing, but you have to try them to avoid those that give you backache (Dog), this one that rattles your fillings out (Biene), that one with the controls concealed by the steering wheel (Lemon), and yet another with a poor engine set up (Fraud); and many, many other criteria. Our varying physiognomy, perceptions and preferences mean there is no 'best'.)

OT but I'd always thought a car that's never out of the garage was referred to as a lemon.