Alan Gibson

MGR Hooper!

• 4 months later...

Has anyone been having trouble with them recently? Asking on behalf of some acquaintances on Twitter who can't seem to get an order through. There is a bit about Covid difficulties on the site but that update was on the 15th of August and it seems like they are still trading at the moment, just struggling with demand.

Regards

Steve

I exchanged emails with him a couple of weeks ago, their problem was clearing the backlog of trade orders and the sheer magnitude of individual orders and essentially being low on stock.

As I was trying to place a large order, I was advised to hold off or else have a month or so wait for any delivery

so they are trading and fulfilling orders but you just need patience (as with most small suppliers at the moment)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

As in anything it depends on whether your order can be processed off the shelves or if they need to produce items.

I generally find Colins service to be superb. Sometimes I've had to wait, but generally I receive my orders within days.

I placed an order on Thursday aftetnoon, it artived this morning.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Remember it's just a husband and wife operation with no capacity to increase production to meet demand, which I imagine has increased since Peco made Alan Gibson wheels standard with the Parkside kit range. The latter used to come with Romfords.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a quick word for Gibsons.  I placed an order for many diverse items with them on the 6th, and it's arrived this afternoon. (7th May ).  A very  fast service by any measure. 

No connection, just some spot-on service.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure things go wrong occasionally but Colin at Alan Gibson does a cracking job on delivery usually next day or day after.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have always had excellent service from Alan Gibson. My latest order did take a while, but it included some milled frames which I think are made to order.

I did state in my letter that the parts were for a long term project and that I was quite happy to wait for availability.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Just a quick word for Gibsons.  I placed an order for many diverse items with them on the 6th, and it's arrived this afternoon. (7th May ).  A very  fast service by any measure. 

No connection, just some spot-on service.

I managed to speak to Colin this week by phone. It appears that they are working flat out at the moment, so things like e-mails are a bit hit-or-miss.  That said, I received my spares almost by return of post, which prompted my earlier update.

Colin also explained that if they're not on the phone, they are making things; can't be bad, I think.  A lot of smaller businesses reach a 'crunch point', where the owner is going flat out to meet demand, but just 'not quite enough'  to warrant a 3rd set of hands on the payroll.  This is very common occurrence; not necessarily to Gibson's detriment: more a fact of life.  

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

A lot of smaller businesses reach a 'crunch point', where the owner is going flat out to meet demand, but just 'not quite enough'  to warrant a 3rd set of hands on the payroll.  This is very common occurrence; not necessarily to Gibson's detriment: more a fact of life.  

There's also the point that the time spent training up the third pair of hands would undoubtedly result in reduced production levels in the short term, which might impact cashflow to a dangerous degree.

• Informative/Useful 1