Mk1 coaches??

swiftbeam

Hello,

I am starting to turn my thoughts to a small rake of O gauge coaches. I am looking to buy the new offerings from Dapol or Heljan, but I see that they all still seem to be 'coming' and not here. Somewhere in the past, I have seen some threads and thoughts on the accuracy of both of these brands Mk1's as 'first samples' at shows, one was better than the other in detail. 

So, does anybody have any thoughts on what brand to put my money on from what has been seen all seen at the shows (I've not been to any shows and will never be).

Does anybody have any idea when all the standard Mk1's will finally be for sale? I expect world issues are playing a heavy hand in the hold up!

Many thanks.

• Like 1

Darstaed have a range of Mk1 coaches on the market, Heljan versions have an incorrect side profile with no tumblehome and were more expensive at £250 although the new (still not) released versions have a retail price similar to the Dapol version,that is also not yet available (due end of 2018) , but has the correct body shape!

Edited by kernowtim

I would definitely go for the Dapol ones. It's not just the shape of the sides that Heljan got wrong but also the roof profile! The Darstaed are better than the Heljan but appear to sit rather high on their bogies.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Darstead mk1s have printed details and are not really comparable. Having read lots of positive reviews I was very underwhelmed when I saw some to be honest.

The Dapol delay is at least partly due to them retooling  it, which you would think signals their intentions regarding accuracy.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Darstead mk1s have printed details and are not really comparable. Having read lots of positive reviews I was very underwhelmed when I saw some to be honest.

The Dapol delay is at least partly due to them retooling  it, which you would think signals their intentions regarding accuracy.

In defence of the Darstead coaches,  I have some Corridor Coaches and a Suburban.  I thought the brass sides were nice and the have the mass to run nicely.  The magnetic corridor connections and Kadee couplings turn a few coaches into a cohesive rake, flowing through the curves.  I thought the paint finish of the Southern Region versions was just right.

Yes they are a couple of mm too tall, and understand how that happened.  To be honest as I'm not going to mix them with other coaches, they look OK.  On my layout they will run with Terrier tanks that look quite diminutive anyway.

Detal where coaches join...

1931144960_darsteadpost-2484-0-82394600-1532379975_thumb.jpg.163e77ca90637d96fe1cfb0f4c0c1952.jpg

A view showing the roof detail...

1307818921_darsteadpost-2484-0-52013600-1532379977_thumb.jpg.6a64416dd7bbff68e03ceb0fb32dd34f.jpg

I like the fact that the roof panels do not have exaggerated weld seams.  For me the roof is the bit I see most and when I get time I will titivate the water tank feed pipes and repaint to give a more weathered appearance.

I find the Darstead, Dapol, Heljan debate quite interesting.  Hopefully the Dapol coaches will live up to the expectations.  I don't really need any more Mark 1 Corridor Coached.  Just need a Maunsell Push Pull Driving Brake and a Bulleid Brake,,  Plus of course a few 64' BR Suburbans.  Now if these were produced in Crimsom and Green liveries, I could bet one of each and swap the sides..., 

Edited by The Bigbee Line
  • Like 1

Completely irrelevant to the topic but he new Heljan Mk2 coaches look the bees knees although the range is quite narrow with BFK, BSO and TSO only. 

An FK would be nice as would some Mk2 d, e or f's

Paul R

• Agree 1

I'm considering an O Gauge layout in my garage, which will be a new scale for me, and the availability of good looking R-T-R Mk1s will in fact be my trigger to start.

I'd been studying existing models over the part couple of years at exhibitions (remember those?!) and nothing R-T-R looked quite right to my eye, Heljan being particularly poor (shape of roof and ends).

Pre-production images from Dapol look excellent, so I'm happy to wait for those - a rake of 4 or 5 is a big investment (for me) so I need to be satisfied.

Likewise diesel locos.  At present there are some cracking ones, but a few "iffy" ones are out there too IMO. 

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Must be a huge garage!

Not really. I shouldn't have used the word rake! I'm thinking a couple of BGs a BSK, a TSO and a CK. Not all in the same train. I certainly wouldn't have the space for main line formations.