Modelling LBSCR Signals

Hello All,

I hope you're all well? I am currently puzzling over how to make some passable 4mm scale signals that look like exLBSC prototypes - although I currently model outside of the pre-grouping era; I am looking for infrastructure to put on the layout to give its origins prior to grouping.

I've found some lovely LBSC buffer stop castings to order & install; and now my thoughts have turned to signalling. Ideally I would like to have operating signals - but there is no way I am competent enough to solder up MSE components to make anything near a decent job on it. So my thoughts turned to Ratio signals and I was worried I would have to install the rail-built signals until I spotted the LNWR twin armed signal here; not my photo - copy right of the original owner/taker. I always like my modelling to look 'passable' at two/three feet away - it might be 100% accurate but if it feels right. To me this signal kit reminds me a lot of the Sheffield Park home signals of LBSC vintage.

The only thing that puts me off is the arms of the signal which to me don't really portray and LBSCR design entirely - but the GWR LQ Signals look like a much closer match with their separate arm and spectacle glasses. I know the ladder for access needs to be positioned at the front face of the signal as opposed to the rear of the signal normally. And for the position I am looking for on my layout I am not entirely sure I need the subsidiary signal - but that would be on the main platform line so perhaps might be ideal to have a subsidiary arm for proceeding to the limit of shunt. 

As for my purposes i would be looking to situate the signal infront of the platform ramp facing away from us with the arms showing towards the Van C & M7.

spacer.png

The platform the M7 is at is the main platform; whereas where the Van C is is more of a goods platform where vans are unloaded as per the prototype.

Please tell me if I am going barking mad; and breaking the spirit of pre-grouping by mixing & matching?

Kind Regards,

Gary 

5 hours ago, sem34090 said:

For LBSCR Signals, I suggest you look at MSE/Wizard Models. 

They're beautiful aren't they - but I just don't think I have the experience to put them together. Is why I am looking for a passable alternative - even if it is a bit heretical to mix/mash components :-D

I have to say though I do really want a set of rotating LBSCR shunt signals on the layout though! 

Kind Regards,

Gary

• Like 1

As far as I know the MSE posts are Whitemetal, the arms etched, so they'd be no more difficult than the Ratio kits.

One idea I'd contemplated was to use the MSE arms with Ratio posts and ladders.

I'm also thinking of doing some CAD for LBSCR ground signals. They might even work out at an acceptable price in one of Shapeways' better materials.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Matloughe said:

I have to say though I do really want a set of rotating LBSCR shunt signals on the layout though! 

LBSC rotating ground signals can be had from EB Models, they aren't on the website, but they do make them http://www.mjwsjw.co.uk/ although you need some MSE whitemetal lamps for them, they are really easy to put together and do work. EB Models is run by @ianmaccormac of this parish.

Gary

549404240_2020-05-2322_56_34.jpg.fa439dd16c7fb04063adfe356eedd5e4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Looking at the LBSC signal arms etch on the MSE website, I see the arms and spectacles are separate parts. I wonder if it might be possible to build the Ratio GWR signal, chopping off the spectacle plate and supergluing the etched one on instead, using the hole in the etched spectacle plate for the operating wire.

Going from this: 
image_mse_s0010_1.jpg

See this very quick-and-dirty MS Paint sketch.

spacer.png287185139_LBSCsignal.jpg.b5cb2e33c45d2dd7343461d1a88c11bc.jpg

There should ideally be a very slight taper to the arms, narrowing towards the pivot, but nothing that can't be managed with a few strokes of a file, and it's probably not very noticeable. The etched spectacle plate would still give you the separate spectacle look you were going for, while having the distinctive LBSC/Saxby and Farmer shape which the Ratio GWR ones are lacking. Glazing can either be bought in sheets of coloured clear plastic, or you can smooth out some chocolate wrappers in appropriate colours, or even use some clear acetate, colouring in the rear with red and blue Sharpie.

The etch sheet also includes LBSC-pattern bracket supports, if you wanted to ditch the ones in the Ratio kit and have the correct pattern too, although I suspect the LNWR kit has better brackets for doing that with than the GWR one. 

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank you for your input everyone - I really appreciate it.

@BlueLightning I didn't know EB Models did the signals - I will fire off an email to them shortly; I've looked over their website many times and the beautiful kits in IEG. It makes me want to backdate my layout further whilst I still have the chance. 

I've emailed 5&9 Models this morning as I am after a Water Column for my layout and I knew they did a Stroudley version - as well as enquired about wagon kits. 

@Skinnylinny Yes! This is sort of what I was thinking using the LNWR posts and the LBSCR etches in my minds eye - I've scoured the internet this morning for all the prototype pictures of Devil's Dyke where my layout is based on and it looks like the signalling was the main starter, and three shunt signals one on the platform road to access the run-around loop another at the end of the loop to go onto the main and a third on the bay road/goods line to access the main. Plus the Home and Distant most likely that I cannot find in a photograph. So perhaps I am over signalling my terminus somewhat. 

Are you still producing Stroudley Coaches & van on your website @Skinnylinny? I've only a limited budget per month but was looking at getting some to have a go with.

Kind Regards,

Gary

• Like 2