Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Another Cautionary Tale

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I needed to get my ultrasonic bath from a shelf situated above my layout.  Now I'm usually very careful in dealing with matters up there, but on this occasion I omitted to pay proper regard to the presence of a full 0.25L tin of Dulux paint.  Now 0.25L may not sound much, but when it fell from the shelf it fell like a bomb.  Just over a meter below, the baseboard is, happily, bare and undeveloped, but sitting on it minding its own business was a 5-plank wagon I'd built from a kit but which I'd put aside for attention.  It was a nice wagon and had even been painted and weathered.  When the tin hit the wagon it exploded, or at least as much as something can without any actual explosive.  The picture below shows the damage (the bomb was unmarked).  The only alteration I've made to the photo is to include a couple of pieces that landed even further away but which I felt should be included.  I should add that I pride myself on my bodging but I fear that saving this unfortunate wagon is beyond even the best efforts of the Torper workshops.

Anyone else got any cautionary tales they'd care to share?

wreck.jpg.0138c7af459081594bed5714a1b15f4b.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Probably not quite what you're looking for, but if dressing in a hurry in a darkened room, try to ensure that you haven't left the aerosol deodorant next to the shaving foam.

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Torper said:

Yesterday I needed to get my ultrasonic bath from a shelf situated above my layout.  Now I'm usually very careful in dealing with matters up there, but on this occasion I omitted to pay proper regard to the presence of a full 0.25L tin of Dulux paint.  Now 0.25L may not sound much, but when it fell from the shelf it fell like a bomb.  Just over a meter below, the baseboard is, happily, bare and undeveloped, but sitting on it minding its own business was a 5-plank wagon I'd built from a kit but which I'd put aside for attention.  It was a nice wagon and had even been painted and weathered.  When the tin hit the wagon it exploded, or at least as much as something can without any actual explosive.  The picture below shows the damage (the bomb was unmarked).  The only alteration I've made to the photo is to include a couple of pieces that landed even further away but which I felt should be included.  I should add that I pride myself on my bodging but I fear that saving this unfortunate wagon is beyond even the best efforts of the Torper workshops.

Anyone else got any cautionary tales they'd care to share?

wreck.jpg.0138c7af459081594bed5714a1b15f4b.jpg

"Group Capt. Baker: God's teeth!
[at full volume]
Group Capt. Baker: Take cover!
[Baker and Harvey run into the same nearby trench]" ;)

• Like 2

At least the lid stayed on the can I presume? 

When I fumbled handling a tin of wood stain for window sills we finished up with a partially woodstained garage floor!

Managed to salvage enough into a container for the window sills without picking up any muck, the rest I just brushed out and left to dry, it actually wears quite well.

• RMweb Premium

Just to make my day, I got out eight Hardy's Hobbies footplate crew to paint today.  I started on some, then left them on my workbench while I had my tea.  On return I found only seven crew.  Skye, our border collie, had a guilty look and a search of the floor found two 4mm legs, separate, and then a search of Skye's bed found the trunk of the aforesaid crewman, rather chewed.  Of the head there is no sign - obviously Skye does not wish its identity to be known.

DT

• Friendly/supportive 6

Did a similar thing to the OP, only this was with a wooden cased Hifi speaker from the top of the bookshelf.

The small occasional table that broke its fall came off worse.

The speaker works, the plastic decorative front broke off but easily repaired.

The table?  A careful positioning with the damage (triangular  hole)  towards the wall and a strategic house plant hide what damage couldn't be fixed by a bit of swearing and laminate bending and flexing surgery. .

As for Torper's wagon. I think a new set of wheels would do the job, either that or a repaint into S.C Ruffy livery.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I did a similar degree of damage to a rather nice old 3H LMS 5 plank general merchandise open, which had somehow got itself inverted on the sunbaked ground; back in the day when an outdoor run round the garden was my thing.  Unfortunately I neglected to use a tin of paint for the job, instead using my knee.

Now, I feel that much as with my smashed remains, there's enough left of that wagon for modelling the lineside wreckage of some past incident dropped well away from the track, now well overgrown.

(BR was proficient at this. A farm somewhere in the Totnes area that my parents selected for B&B in the early 1960s, was making very good use of several wagon bodies that had left the road and fetched up in and against our farmer's ditch and field boundary in a ruinous state. Repair timber, decking at a very wet field entrance, firewood, and a small dry store from the least damaged and inverted wagon. It was a great holiday, and still fondly remembered for my youngest sister's furious refusal to be corrected of her opinion that the monster root vegetable she was holding above her head was not a 'spud', but in fact a mangel-wurzel. The photo of this comes out every Christmas, as funny every time as on the day of its origin. At least in the perception of her three older sibs...)

• 3 weeks later...

Two days ago I was in need of some thinned PVA to drizzle into some coal for a bunker and remembered that I had some in a plastic tub which, when I shook it, still seemed to be adequately liquid.  However..............trying to take the top off, the whole tub shattered (it had obviously become very brittle over the years) and my workbench was treated to a shower of smelly dilute PVA that permeated under my cutting mat, the MFC board that I rest everything on, the floor underneath etc.

Needless to say I was not well pleased.  Thankfully the loco I had just finished and was awaiting its coal was untouched.

Had it not been.................................................:triniti::diablo_mini:

Edited by 5050
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
On 23/05/2020 at 16:23, melmoth said:

Probably not quite what you're looking for, but if dressing in a hurry in a darkened room, try to ensure that you haven't left the aerosol deodorant next to the shaving foam.

Or Pile cream next to the tooth paste

• Funny 1