Light problem on DCC Realtrack 156

Taxzilla

I have recently got a new RealTrack 156. Came DCC fitted and function 2 is for the interior passenger lighting. When I press and hold F2 the lights come on but I can’t get them to stay on. Realtrack tell me the function may need “latching” but I don’t know how to do this and am worried about effecting other locos. I am using a gaugemaster prodigy express controller. Can anyone be of any help?

• RMweb Gold

I’m not sure how to set latching/no latching on your prodigy system but you needn’t worry about it affecting other locos.  The latching settings are stored separately for each loco address.

Latching = function key is "press once for on / press again for off". 

Non-latching = function key is "press and hold for on, on release it goes off".

You can approach the problem in two ways. 

a - in your DCC system, there might (but might not) be a system setting to make F2 latching or non-latching.  Consult the manual.  The Gaugemaster system is made by MRC, a US maker, so follows US convention where F2 is frequently non-latching.    BoD's comment doesn't hold true for all systems, many won't have a "per loco" setting for the latching behaviour, though some might. 

b - in the decoder.  Use the Function Mapping CV changes to move the output for lights from the F2 key to another key.    Exactly how this is done depends on the decoder fitted inside the model, different decoder makers will have different changes.    So, what decoder is fitted ?   

7 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Latching = function key is "press once for on / press again for off". 

Non-latching = function key is "press and hold for on, on release it goes off".

You can approach the problem in two ways. 

a - in your DCC system, there might (but might not) be a system setting to make F2 latching or non-latching.  Consult the manual.  The Gaugemaster system is made by MRC, a US maker, so follows US convention where F2 is frequently non-latching.    BoD's comment doesn't hold true for all systems, many won't have a "per loco" setting for the latching behaviour, though some might. 

b - in the decoder.  Use the Function Mapping CV changes to move the output for lights from the F2 key to another key.    Exactly how this is done depends on the decoder fitted inside the model, different decoder makers will have different changes.    So, what decoder is fitted ?   

ESU LokPilot Decoders are fitted to DCC Non Sound Realtrack Models Class 156's.

Charlie

1 hour ago, charliepetty said:

ESU LokPilot Decoders are fitted to DCC Non Sound Realtrack Models Class 156's.

Charlie

Which version LokPilot ?  ESU have changed their CV structures between the "standard", "V4" and "V5".

The "Standard" broadly follows the old NMRA function map.  The V4 and V5 have ESU's highly flexible, but extremely complicated approach. 

- Nigel

1 hour ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Which version LokPilot ?  ESU have changed their CV structures between the "standard", "V4" and "V5".

The "Standard" broadly follows the old NMRA function map.  The V4 and V5 have ESU's highly flexible, but extremely complicated approach. 

- Nigel

These are LokPilot Standard  V1.0

• RMweb Gold

The prodigy controllers have no way to make F2 latching so for the Class 156 there is 2 options:

1) Remap the interior lights to another function key - easy with a LokProgrammer or a connection to DecoderPro (Like a SPROG). Bit of a pain otherwise.

2) Go the whole hog and sound fit it - the interior lights are F12 on sound versions

Quick guess work with DecoderPro suggests CV40 and CV137set to 32 will move the lights to F6 but I have no way of confirming and I dunno what actual other functions are used for the non sound ones.

Edited by Kaput

12 hours ago, charliepetty said:

These are LokPilot Standard  V1.0

ESU list a "LokPilot Standard" which has function mapping approximating to NMRA approach. 

With that, its either one or two CV changes, so quite possible with a handset. 

For Function Key 3:   CV37 = 8 will put the Aux2 output onto FnKey 3    (It also remains on FnKey 2, but no need to change that).

For Function Key 6:   CV40=8 (forwards) and CV137=8 (backwards).    [ Kaput is almost correct, but has misread the values ]

- Nigel

Thanks everyone for all your help - I think the best thing to do is to move the lighting from F2 to F10 which is already latching - is there anyone who can help me on how to do this? I haven’t tinkered around with CV’s on DCC so I really need a step by step walkthrough on how to do this. It’s on a gaugemaster prodigy express controller. 

CV44 = 8  should put Aux2 onto Function Key 10,  still leaves it on Function Key 2 as well.

If you want to remove Aux2 from Function Key 2, then CV36=0

And to help with future learning, download the manual for the LokPilot Standard from

http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/

and try to understand where the above values work in the table for function mapping. 

Thanks for the suggestion Nigel - I tried your suggestion for putting function 2 as function 10  but it didn’t seem to have any affect. I think this may be beyond me - I’m really grateful for people’s help but I’m as confused as ever and I may have to leave it as it is rather than cause further problems by trying to do it and getting it wrong.

There are three reasons I can think of for failure:

1 - Taxzilla not doing programming correctly with the Prodigy Express system.

2 - its not a LokPilot Standard, but some other decoder.  (Other ESU's have completely different function mapping, and other maker's decoders may be different, hence asking the question about decoder fitted higher up).

3 - I read the ESU manual incorrectly, so gave duff CV values,  but someone will no doubt correct it. 

- Nigel