Hello! I've been on RMWeb for several years and have always thought about starting a layout thread but never really had the time. So as a stepping stone to that I thought I would instead start a workbench thread for my 'East Kirkstead' layout. It's a mid-80s/early 90s BR sectorisation layout set in Lincolnshire. 

First up, the detailing of my Mk2 / Mk1 rake. This is mixed rake of Hornby Mk 2D coaches (Railroad and non-Railroad) with a Bachmann Mk1 Restaurant Buffet car sandwiched (pun intended) in the middle. Whilst it may non instantly shout "Lincolnshire" the rake is run as a weekend extra to Skegness, or perhaps a Manchester to Yarmouth holidaymaker style service .... modellers license and all that.

This image shows one of the completed models. Detailing work on it includes: removal of roof ribs, repainting of roof with a mix of acrylic greys, painting of underframe with a mix of frame and sleeper dirt, removal of the orange door locking lights (not a feature of the coaches in the 1980s), removal of the Swallow style INTERCITY logos and replacement with the older block style InterCity logos, painting around the bottom of the doors and step area, repainting of the toilet windows (BR corporate grey to tone down the bright white windows), and gangway ends.

0001.jpg.600026209c03faa92c19fdd91dfc6287.jpg

The next step was to close couple the rake together. I'm going through a process of removing tension lock couplings from my stock and replacing them with either Kadees or my own fixed wire links (because they're cheaper!) For this rake of six coaches I am using fixed wire links between multiples of three coaches with Kadee couplers at the ends (effectively making three coach half rakes). The loco will also couple to the rake with a Kadee.

0002.jpg.a019e87fc3e9122ed71442cf3512f3d0.jpg

The above picture shows the simple wire link in place. The tension lock couplings are removed and a hole drilled into the bogie to accept the wire. The length of the wire is determined by the minimum distance between the coaches on the tightest curve on the layout (entrance/exit roads to the fiddle yard). The wire has a right angle bend at each end and is held in the bogies by gravity. 

This image shows the wire links cut to length and bent for the bogie holes. They are painted with the same frame/sleeper dirt mix. As an extra detail I have added a representation of the vacuum pipes between coaches by using the Bachmann close couplings cut down in size and glued to the wire links.

0003.jpg.c88da7546f9e9d267dbd40af81ea6b11.jpg

And this is the finished effect when two coaches are coupled together.

0004.jpg.321d4505a934984d7fd1e98280df829d.jpg

I've added corridor connections and blanking plates from modelrailwaystation.com. They're simple and effective allowing the horrible gap between coaches to be removed whilst still maintaining shape around some tight fiddle yard corners. 

Hope you find this of use for a simple yet effective way of detailing and close coupling coaching rakes.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

The outer ends of the half rakes use Kadee #146 (long shank) or Kadee #5 glued to the bogie frame. The image below is of the longer #146:

0005.jpg.15f9b5bbc16548c8a3799313e1235d10.jpg

And this is the finished result coupled to the Bachmann buffet which has a Kadee #20 in the NEM socket:

0006.jpg.5c93ec627bed90143993175522eded82.jpg

And finally the business end. Haulage by Bachmann 47576 'King Lynn'. This loco has had the underframes weathered and the white wall wheel rims removed.

0007.jpg.26247f5999d01fb86089941043c60049.jpg

The complete train typifies the 'mixed-bag' of Intercity and corporate Blue/Grey coaching stock rakes of the era, with a randomly liveried loco at the head to finish things off!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

The latest loco off the workbench is my class 03 model. The Bachmann model representing air braked 03162 is to be reworked as 03026 one of four class 03 locos allocated to Lincoln in the early 80s. Coincidentally this loco is currently in the Bachmann range and like a lot of modellers I prefer to model locos not available off the shelf, however this donor loco has the stovepipe chimney and therefore narrows down the candidates somewhat.

Despite the loco having all wheel pick ups I found that it was still prone to stalling even on Electrofrog points, so whilst on the workbench I decided to add extra pickups via a permanently coupled match truck. The obvious candidate for this was the Peco/Parkside Conflat A wagon.

20200524_114748a.jpg.d44fe82806d336808a6ae8d79cf6b26c.jpg

Duly bought and built I set about crafting wiper pickups for all four wheels which would be through wired to the loco pickups. These were made from copper strip cut to length and soldered to flexible wire (from computer ribbon cables).

20200524_132147a.jpg.5fb5ec55b26e0363a4faef1878fbe015.jpg

However the problem I found was that the wagon was too lightweight meaning that the wheels would not turn properly and there was little room in the underframe to add the extra weight needed. So plan B was to use a 20t brake van instead, which would allow more weight to be hidden in the guards van area. The brake van model (Bachmann) also has a gap between body and chassis which can accommodate the pickup wiring.

20200609_213358a.jpg.54114c75564d9cccc2fcfdde06c9a32b.jpg

Again copper strip was cut for the pickup wipers bent to make contact with the top of the wheels. These were then soldered to short lengths of wire in turn glued to a plasticard mounting which was glued to the chassis. The ribbon cable was then run through holes drilled in the buffer beam and soldered to the pickup wiring within the loco.

20200614_125020a.jpg.e58f5ce3f1a9a2d6db572e6ec7261020.jpg

Whilst this worked well, I decided to use the Conflat wagon in the consist, as this type of wagon would have been used with the class 03 loco and the wagon was bought anyway. This picture shows the through wiring extended between the brake van and loco via the Conflat.

20200617_215625a.jpg.c4a0ecd1e386c413fb229c1238897b9e.jpg

Meanwhile the loco cab has had the air brake cylinders and piping removed and piping holes filled on the cab. The loco has also been renumbered and is awaiting a varnish seal and weathering.

20200610_222332a.jpg.8f47ececbbf096e23693cf690e37ff15.jpg

Edited by lincolnshiremodeller
  • Like 3

Loco and wagon chassis now painted along with the Conflat, and weight added to the brake van. Kadee couplers (146 and NEM 20) are also added.

20200630_222957a.jpg.7c7062b52edc939e6f676c9fc8b8ec3a.jpg

And the loco and brake van re-assembled after weathering, seen here on my East Kirkstead layout.

20200704_182900a.jpg.691dbb41bb9eb8f347ba78ef48089f81.jpg

I also added glazing to the brake van and a shunter to the brake van veranda.

20200704_183446b.jpg.bfa800dd6723454fda19c6f74d15f18e.jpg

The loco is seen on shed stabled next to another Lincoln depot stalwart 08102.

20200704_183757b.jpg.a22f345aa105bf862aed083ff3e5924a.jpg

20200704_184113a.jpg.3ef77b0a603303b038438889e3bd5c25.jpg

• Like 6

On 04/07/2020 at 23:46, lincolnshiremodeller said:

Loco and wagon chassis now painted along with the Conflat, and weight added to the brake van. Kadee couplers (146 and NEM 20) are also added.

20200630_222957a.jpg.7c7062b52edc939e6f676c9fc8b8ec3a.jpg

And the loco and brake van re-assembled after weathering, seen here on my East Kirkstead layout.

20200704_182900a.jpg.691dbb41bb9eb8f347ba78ef48089f81.jpg

I also added glazing to the brake van and a shunter to the brake van veranda.

20200704_183446b.jpg.bfa800dd6723454fda19c6f74d15f18e.jpg

The loco is seen on shed stabled next to another Lincoln depot stalwart 08102.

20200704_183757b.jpg.a22f345aa105bf862aed083ff3e5924a.jpg

20200704_184113a.jpg.3ef77b0a603303b038438889e3bd5c25.jpg

Hi Lincsmodeller , Your signal box caught my eye , especially the windows . Is it a kit or scratch built ? Nice looking layout and the close coupling is impressive too .

Regards , Roy .

• 4 weeks later...

Not too much activity of late on the workbench as I concentrated on some wiring improvements to the layout. I did however look to complete the detailing of another 20t brake van.

0488a.jpg.39aae7f43cd18484c3343c536b11f656.jpg

This actually started life as an Airfix kit being picked up second hand at a model show some years ago for a couple of quid. I decided I wanted to model one of the vans converted for running with air braked wagons and featuring the distinctive yellow panels...just for some variety. 

The wagon has had glazing added to the windows, been re-wheeled with metal wheels, had moulded handrails removed and replaced with wire handrails, and Kadee 146 couplings added, as well as a full repaint and weathering. Railtec transfers finish the model.

Here's the completed model on the layout within the consist of a departmental train hauled by 97408.

0489a.jpg.f2693f232036e6565ed33724ff058d51.jpg

Next up on the workbench is the Hornby class 60 which represents the very end of my modelling time frame:

443.jpg.5577a88db6471edbc9f86a2c00625ef9.jpg

It will be backdated to represent a new 60021 'Pen y Ghent' in Railfreight Metals livery. I'm hoping the factory applied 'Transrail' logos will remove without the need for a full or partial repaint.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Good to see a modeller junking the tension locks for something more refined. I've never understood why people wish to have a heap of plastic between their coach bogies when there should be a few hoses and fresh air!

That series of 03's were at Lincoln for ages, 03020 - 27 or something like that. I remember as a schoolboy copping most of them in pre-TOPS days on a shed visit in 1970, now of course the Stagecoach Bus garage.

Your layout does say "Lincolnshire" to me, and the Maltings type structures are very appropriate.

Excursions to Skegness are running right up to the present, with East Midland Trains using HST's today, so no problems with that storyline either.

John.

• Like 1

Thanks John. I must admit that my initial move to using Kadees was down to running quality rather than appearance. The Bachmann tension lock couplings have so much 'slop' or droop that the coaches never quite close couple which affects the motion and was causing intermittent derailments on the tight exit from certain fiddle yard roads. Their close coupling vacuum pipe looks and work well but the way it couples via the NEM socket means you have 4 or 5 coaches permenanently coupled...not handy when you need to remove a single coach from a rake.

A friend of mine introduced me to Kadee using the NEM socket and I haven't looked back. They are now the coupler of choice and I am slowly introducing them to my stock, unless I use wire link couplings as per my earlier posting. Using the Kadees to uncouple via magnets is another reason for using them and I intend to look into this in the coming weeks.

Thanks for the kind comments on the layout. As I originally hail from the Sleaford area the idea of a maltings style backdrop was always part of the layout plan, although in my time period they are no longer rail served. The UKF depot on the layout is rail served and another Sleaford inspiration. 

Thanks 

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/05/2020 at 16:53, lincolnshiremodeller said:

First up, the detailing of my Mk2 / Mk1 rake. This is mixed rake of Hornby Mk 2D coaches (Railroad and non-Railroad) with a Bachmann Mk1 Restaurant Buffet car sandwiched (pun intended) in the middle. Whilst it may non instantly shout "Lincolnshire" the rake is run as a weekend extra to Skegness, or perhaps a Manchester to Yarmouth holidaymaker style service .... modellers license and all that.

Sorry I'm very late to the party, but this instantly shouts "Cleethorpes train" to me, though admittedly a few years earlier than your period and I'm not at all sure about the catering provision. It needs at least one Mk1 BG as well for the time I'm thinking of (pre-1985 and preferably pre-January 1982).  I think this service became an HST for a while before disappearing from the timetable, but was 47/4s and the occasional Deltic when I was watching it through Lincoln St Marks.

Always nice to see Lincolnshire modelled.

9 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Sorry I'm very late to the party, but this instantly shouts "Cleethorpes train" to me, though admittedly a few years earlier than your period and I'm not at all sure about the catering provision. It needs at least one Mk1 BG as well for the time I'm thinking of (pre-1985 and preferably pre-January 1982).  I think this service became an HST for a while before disappearing from the timetable, but was 47/4s and the occasional Deltic when I was watching it through Lincoln St Marks.

Always nice to see Lincolnshire modelled.

Thanks 'Flying Pig'. Yes I too remember seeing 47s on mk2 stock through St Marks in the early 80s probably between the Deltics and HSTs. Of course modellers license allows for anything so a mid 80s Cleethorpes turn is viable although it would make more sense for it to be an HST. Unfortunately my fiddle yard won't allow for anything resembling a prototypical length HST :-(

• 2 months later...

So the next item on the workbench was Hornby's model of 60066. This loco represents a bit of an oddity in that the prototype had different logos on each side of the loco. One one side is the usual Transrail "T" logo (as per the picture in my previous mail) whilst the other side has the white Transrail logo but with the remnants of the Railfreight Coal sub sector logo. The loco was bought second hand on Ebay with the intention of acquiring any good conditioned model wearing the Railfreight Triple Grey livery.

0490a.jpg.4d2cad079891c102fe99b0c376c1fbbe.jpg

This was intended as a short mini project with the loco being backdated to represent 60021 'Pen y Ghent' in Railfreight Triple Grey livery with metals logos. As such the plan was to merely change the transfers, renumber, add cast nameplates and BR arrows and add some light weathering.

Why 60021? Well for three reasons. Firstly the class 60 is at the very end of my layout modelling period so it had to be a low numbered loco, secondly I have a photo of the prototype not long after introduction to service (it's always nice to model a loco you've seen in the flesh and photographed), and thirdly because the real 'Pen y Ghent' is a background feature to many photos at one of my favourite locations on the Settle to Carlisle line.

In order to avoid a repaint the factory applied logos needed removed without damaging the paintwork underneath. The plan was to overlay the sub sectors logos over the existing Hornby ones, in order to cut down on what needed to be removed.

Hornby locos require IPA for removal of factory printed logos and numbers, using a cotton bud to apply it over the desired area. At the same time a scalpel was used to gently rub the edge of the print to assist the IPA. Patience is key here, as rushing it can either scratch the surface or go too far and eat into the paint layer below the print.

0493a.jpg.6ea7c6691203689c8de37918f8982085.jpg

The Transrail lettering, red vertical logos, and loco numbers were fairly straightforward to remove, however the "T" logo was much more troublesome and needed a lot more time and effort to remove fully. 

After what quickly becomes a rather boring chore, a switch to adding a driver to the leading cab was a nice diversion. This is a repainted Bachmann steam era driver, with cap cut off and head 'remoulded', a darker shade of blue for the uniform and a short high viz 'vest'.

0496a.jpg.3b31a245cee532adebd96972b77c1f5a.jpg

The original plan was to ignore the coal sector logo and simply add a new metals sector logo over the top. However I thought that the black diamonds may show through the lighter blue and yellow colours on top, so I carefully removed the diamonds, again going over repeatedly with a cotton bud loaded with IPA and a scalpel edge. As for the loco number I originally intended to remove the "66" and replace with "21". Unfortunately this short cut didn't work out as my black number transfers were marginally smaller than the Hornby ones so the whole lot needed removed in the end.

0494a.jpg.2bea8641226942c5e193da5464fb67c8.jpg

Once all the necessary prints were removed the rather more interesting part started with the application of the new ones. The Railfreight Metals sub sector logos are new from Railtec, whilst the numbers (small and large) and BR era overhead warning flashes are older transfers bought several years back from Fox.  The BR cast logos are also from Fox whilst the nameplates are from Modelmaster. At this point in the life of the loco it didn't carry the cast Thornaby depot plaques.

After applying the new transfers and plates, the loco was given a coat of matt varnish (windows were masked to avoid having to remove and refit), and the chassis a coat of underframe dirt. The silencer on the roof was also toned down and the other areas of the roof weathered with acrylics.

0498a.jpg.e65297830f9c28fa46cd36e685be84cc.jpg

Two bug-bears of mine are overly bright lights on many modern models, especially on those BR locos and MUs where the lights were often rather feint behind a layer of grime, and also seeing locos running with red tails lights on whilst the loco is coupled to a train - something that doesn't happen in practice. The overly bright headlights were toned down with matt varnish (I could have looked at adding a resistor to the lighting circuit to reduce the current but opted for the varnish instead as I had no resistors). As the Hornby model doesn't allow for the tail lights to be switched off I simply bent the appropriate lighting contact in the cab so the red tail lights are open circuit. The loco won't run on my layout without a train so this isn't a problem. 

Finally the tension lock coupling was replaced with a Kadee #18 on one end whilst the other had a three link coupling and associated hoses added.

0499a.jpg.38a41c98c125bfd1c37b4580e3a8d749.jpg

And the final result. The loco running on my East Kirkstead layout at the head of a mixed wagon metals working - a fictitious Scunthorpe to Boston docks service.

0500a.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Its been a while since I updated on here, so next up are a couple of completed projects rather than in-progress shots. No Lincolnshire layout would be complete without a plethora of first generation DMUs. First up are a pair of Bachmann class 101s. They were a staple of secondary passenger traffic in the late 80s, particularly after Lincoln depot closed and the indigenous class 114s were either scrapped or moved away to Tyseley.

Not too much work required as the Bachmann model is already very good, but every model benefits from underframe weathering, addition of driver and some passengers, gangway connections, and renumbering.

First up is Cambridge set '05'. They were used on the Cambridge - Royston 'fill in' services prior to electrification, and therefore migrated into Lincolnshire quite regularly. They moved on with electrification through to Cambridge.

127955822_20210214_140120web.jpg.e82156147d9e1fec01413e4a6654894f.jpg

This set also has red buffer beams to complement the silver buffer shanks. The former first class area yellow stripe and "E" prefix to the numbers is also still in situ. 

72923458_20210215_181920web.jpg.759e311feaa5dde2ce4486ae07e1e33e.jpg

The unit is as per c. 1987 condition, Latterly they received NSE livery.

The second unit is more straightforward and represents Norwich set '75'. A staple of the "Joint Line" in the late 80s its just a simple renumbering job with white set number in the centre windscreen. Both sets have localised destination blinds (which in those days could often show anything!).

2038622789_20210215_170946web.jpg.d2420cf489fcea3ee71577c6a89636b8.jpg

Another Cambridge depot stalwart is the class 128 parcels unit. Again this is a great model straight from the box, and nothing more than some underframe weathering has been done. In my opinion these Heljan models are perhaps the smoothest of runners with a haulage capability that matches if not exceeds most loco models.

226174976_20210212_153456web.jpg.510c2d9e3ec63e6d3a31362ad91b9498.jpg

The unit is coupled with a DC kits 105 with parcels sector brandings and a gangwayed van as a tail load:

1297167401_20210212_153905web.jpg.876b77d537aad28453527bb905959057.jpg

A parcels 114 would be a nice addition to the layout but with DC Kits no longer offering these models then it could be a long wait until something comes up on ebay or such like.

Next up on the work bench is a Stratford class 37 for a freightliner/intermodal train that I've been putting together over the last month or so.

Cheers for now

Simon

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1