Yard lamps from 1960's and 70's.

brian777999

Who makes yard lamps suitable for a 1960's/70's shunting yard or industrial area ? I would like them to be more on the yellow side than LED bright white. That is how I remember most industrial lighting of the time.

These do not look too bad but they are probably too white for my purpose. I may buy them if nobody can suggest a suitable alternative. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302675681381

Look for Warm White LEDs that replicate filament lamps better.  To reduce the brightness increase the series resistance value in Ohms.  Either replace the existing resistor with a higher value one or add a second resistor in series to the first one. 

These have quite a good selection of Yard lamps This link is to their OO selection  Link to Yard lights

Don't forget that filament lit lights will get hot - very hot. LEDs run virtually cold.   Also filament lamps will draw far more power per lit lamp, Typically between 4 and 7 times as much LED=10 to 20 milliamp and filament lamps = 40 to 70 milliamp each!)

The Eckon  EL-1 yard lamps are no longer manufactured and are very hard to find today. 

The Eckon yard lamps currently manufactured at this time is.... Link to On Line Models who make Eckon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

There are some quite nice cheap Chinese ones on Ebay which if the heavy plastic ladders are replaced are perfectly acceptable.  Were around 5 to 7 pounds for five of them 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

These were made for me by RML Electronics (Robert Denton) in 2018 - they were in fact my second order.  They were built to order - RML ceased trading (Robert retired) as a shop a few years ago, but Robert was accepting private commissions. Not cheap, but superbly made.

49784975616_4ae22f7969_k.jpgIMG_0612 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 1

I have been looking for something similar but I want a pair of lights on each gantry if possible, for the same era. I understand its possible to paint the led's to yellow them - I am after the sodium light colour which is pretty orange in fact. Not absolutely happy with any of the sources above. I need about 12 gantries to light a block of carriage sidings with inspection walkways