York Carriage Works

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if this is the correct area to post this, if it isn't let me know and I'll move it (or ask a moderator to move it).

York Press have a piece on York Carriage Works containing 73 photos (some photos are just of people), and I thought it might be of interest to a wider audience. https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/18469507.nostalgia-73-photos-york-carriageworks-inside/

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ian

One of my paternal great-grandfathers will be in that photo of the blacksmith's shop - I only wish I knew what he looked like.

My mum's father was a whitesmith and then a heating engineer at the works from late NER days until his retirement in 1966.  So, for my mum's 70th birthday in 2005 I did a bit of trawling of antiques dealers and gave her the carriage plate below, on the grounds that she had been "built" in York in 1935.  Pity I couldn't get a teak plaque to mount it on!

As mum is no longer with us it now hangs on the wall of my railway room.

Such a waste of engineering skill and employment when the works closed.  Many thanks for the nostalgia!  

2020-05-24_14_10.14-1.jpg

Edited by RichardT
Adding a comment
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

A colleague used to work there when the 321s were being built and was still there when Thrall took over. Apparently a reasonable quantity of teak boards was discovered in a long forgotten store and was sold on scrap chits to some of the workforce. A greenhouse was quickly drawn up in CAD and a CNC router set up to turn out teak greenhouse kits...

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 4