Can anyone identify this Private Owner wagon from New Barnet running in 1937?

This is part of a neg of an Up coal train in 1937 from New England bound for Hornsey on the GNR main line.

The first wagon is from an operator I have never heard of - can anyone read the name?

Behind the ex GER open is a rake of 6 Rothervale wagons

Cheers Tony

PO from New Barnet is it F C Moulligan & Co.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lantavian said:

I hope this helps.

image.png.62949e5a892b83a0621d6c846e1c927e.png

If that's No.20 it MIGHT imply the guy replaced his previous wagon - if there was one - in 1920 ...... certainly not post 1923. The body construction looks fairly modern but block door bumpers a little antiquated - interesting buffers !

Must admit - with the photo stretched like that I'd expect to see tension lock couplings to match the 'steamroller' wheels - or even N-gauge ones !

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The fact that the lettering doesn't sit on the bottom of a plank suggests that it is shaded black, in which case the body colour is not black but whether grey or red is anybody's guess. It's certainly pre-1923 with its grease axleboxes and individualistic body style. There was no great consistency in appearance even of wagons built to the 1907 specification, let alone the original RCH 1887 spec - those Rothervale wagons are all different. I've had sight of a transcript of the Midland Railway PO wagon registers from 1887 up to the late 1890s: between 1890 and 1896, the Rothervale Co. registered 625 wagons with the Midland Railway, all of 10 ton capacity but from three different builders - Harrison & Camm, Birmingham RC&W Co., and Cravens. They may well have had further wagons registered with the Great Northern or MS&L / GC. I don't know whether the Great Northern registers have survived - given the New Barnet address, McQuilkin's wagon(s) could well have been registered with that company. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The second vehicle looks like an open goods rather than a coal wagon. Is it carrying something other than coal, or is it being used as a coal wagon? We will probably never know!

Lovely photo. Do we modellers worry too much about the ride height?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

62993? Someone with Tatlow Vol. 4 should be able to give chapter and verse.

I was being lazy but you made me get my book out!

The 6 for the first number tells you it is a former Great Eastern wagon so appears in Volume 1 and it is a 10 ton open wagon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I was being lazy but you made me get my book out!

The 6 for the first number tells you it is a former Great Eastern wagon so appears in Volume 1 and it is a 10 ton open wagon.

And there's me displaying my ignorance of LNER wagon numbering despite having Tatlow Vols. 1 & 2!

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

And there's me displaying my ignorance of LNER wagon numbering despite having Tatlow Vols. 1 & 2!

I memorised which company got which prefix number ages ago, as it saved time trying to pin a wagon down to a company. NER wagons kept their original numbers has they had most wagons to alter, GNR was 4 on the front, GCR was 5 and GER was 6 and I can't remember the others.

It was something like that but it was a long time ago and now I model pre-grouping, I am rusty so don't quote me!

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 1