Zimo MX617N help needed with functions.

beejack

• RMweb Gold

I have just received my first Zimo chip a MX617N  6 pin chip and have successfully altered the function outputs.

F0 now only controls the Forward lights

F2 now only controls the Tail lights

F5 controls the interior lights and have been dimmed down.

The chip has now been fitted to my Derby light weight dummy coach having modified the pcb so the interior lights can be controlled from the chip.

My issue is with the tail lights on the dummy controlled by the Zimo.  At the moment if F2 'off' = illuminated and F2 is 'on' = off.

tail lights stay off.

The motor coach has a Lenz chip with the tail light on F1 but of course this is the opposite way so F1 'on' = illuminated and F1 'off' = off!

Is there anyway for this to be reversed on MX617N so that the tail light only illuminates if F2 is switched 'on'?

I couldn't see anything obvios in the instructions which Idownloaded from Zimo.

The remapping was done through JMRI and there was nothing obvious but i might have missed something.

How have you wired things ?   As delivered a six-pin has two functions on the pins, yet your description describes three functions.

I'm wondering if its the wiring which is inverting things (eg. where is the common positive for the lights?), rather than the CV settings.  That said, there are probably CV changes which can resolve this. 

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nigel

The MX617n has 6 functions.

The 2 on the pins are for the head/tail lights and the other 4 are on pads at the top of the decoder. 

There is also a positive common and ground pads.

image.png.94c92c7c791ce6dc5711fb779805dd7f.png

I have attached to the positive and F02 pads on the decoder.

I have altered the CV's for the head/tail lights and altered the CV's for the function output for the interior lights so it comes on F5 

The CV for the tail light on pin 6 has also been altered to operate on F2 but only illuminate when travelling forward. 

The Zimo is a little more complicated than the Lenz to change the head/tail light operation but JMRI makes it alot easier

No layout at the moment, so not a big issue and I may in the future replace the Lenz with a Zimo if I can't reverse the switching on the Zimo.

Edited by beejack

I'm interpreting the problem as FnKey2, controlling rear-light output (pin 6) is inverted.  The stuff soldered to the pads is probably irrelevant, other than the positive. 

Can you check the wiring to the rear lights carefully.  Where is it getting its positive from ?  (Either track pickup or Blue is OK). 

If that tests out OK, try moving the rear light to a different function key and see if it behaves correctly there. 

What you are reporting, the inversion of a function key, seems difficult to achieve accidentally by CV changes,  the "Swiss Mapping" section includes inversion of functions. 

I assume you've tried a decoder reset to be certain there aren't accidental changes. 

Nigel

• RMweb Gold

I believe the head/ tail lights are getting  the positive directly from track via the diodes. I've checked that the positive from the pad to the light sping is totally severed from the diodes and  resistors on the PCB.

All worked fine using either the lenz (positive wire not used) or the Bachmann 6 pin albeit on F0

I haven't done a reset yet so may try that and try again. 

Takes me a little while getting used to programming a new chip type.  I've mainly stuck with the Lenz standard +v1 & v2 or the 21 pin silvers. 

Looking at the manual, I think you're right I need to check CV's 430 to 437 to see if any have changed from the default of zero.  

All part of the learning curve!

I have packed Dmu back in it's box at the moment so will take another look at it tomorrow.  In the mean time I can check in decoder Pro if any of those CV's have changed.