Model Shops Opening 15th June 2020??

Let's hope that model shops can reopen on June 1st, as I'm sure many modellers are running out of some supplies. An intreasting point that I noticed was card only for payment, I'm not really sure that cash can be refused, normally this is not the case but I can see why this is being adopted but does it reduce risk ? Or is it a case of being able to bank that cash, but is it realistic to pay by card for an item such as a humbrol paint tin.

• Like 2

We are looking to re-open as soon as possible. We now need to re-build our business after a couple of months of minimal mail order business following the omission of us from what is perceived as the definitive list of those offering mail order. Several days of 'Nil' takings hurts!

Because of how our shop is laid out, we will have to be inventive. Our front door and the shop are not visible to one another, so a system of 'traffic light' signage will be employed that is visible from the front door. Fingers crossed, this will work, and customers will honour it.

One aspect we will not be instigating is separate entrances/exits, so we will not have to throw exiting customers out of the first floor window!

We are still awaiting some items of required safety precautions to be delivered, assuming the couriers are not ignoring the "Deliveries, please knock' sign on our door. And this week will see us setting up the shop to give everybody the best protection possible.

We will update our website home page as things progress, and hopefully we will get to see some of you at C&M in the weeks and months ahead

Screenshot (2461).png

Edited by 87029
add picture
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 8

28 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

Let's hope that model shops can reopen on June 1st, as I'm sure many modellers are running out of some supplies. An intreasting point that I noticed was card only for payment, I'm not really sure that cash can be refused, normally this is not the case but I can see why this is being adopted but does it reduce risk ? Or is it a case of being able to bank that cash, but is it realistic to pay by card for an item such as a humbrol paint tin.

Card Only Payment was adapted by the big supermarkets, they refer to it as contactless payments. Not unusual for someone to use a card for a paint brush, let alone a tin of paint. We can, if we had any bank cash. Cash and the subsequent giving of change gives two way contact with possible transference of disease. We can sanitise a card machine in seconds as well as wearing gloves, washing hands between every transactionbut someone paying say £500 in ten pound notes means we would spray every single note with sanitiser, Dettol spray we have in abundance in the evetuality of opening. Other sanitisers are available . These are all suggestions coming out of various retail trade bodies, FSB etc.

• Like 2

On the topic of card machines, I have not noticed Sainburys, Aldi or Asda sanitising card machines after each use - they are being sanitised but not per use.

You wouldn't need to sanitise if the card was used contactless either as there would have been no physical contact between the machine and the card, only chip and pin adds the degree of contact.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Sadly small shops like most model shops are going to be very hard hit by this "requirement" to enforce distancing since they are generally not big enough for it to actually be practical.

Fair play to any owners that can manage to implement this stuff in a way that allows them to get some sort of business but I fear the casual drop in and have a nosey around is physically impossible with distancing measures in place.

Ironically Hatton's are probably in the best position to reopen their shop since its not designed for people coming in for a browse anyway - with Hatton's you generally go in, ask for what you want, its brought in from the warehouse and you leave.

On the subject of queuing for supermarkets - so far I've avoided it by going in the evening and up in Scotland theres been plenty of rain that somehow hasn't really stopped the daytime queues. I'm kinda hopeful that once more retail reopens the constant queues will die off as people have more places to spread themselves over.

• Like 1

If its any use our local newsagent still accepts cash. But to reduce his risk you put it in a plastic box so he can see it. Then he puts the change in another plastic box for you to pick up. If you have plenty of take away type boxes for the cash you get it can be dealt with safely later at your leisure. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Card Only Payment was adapted by the big supermarkets, they refer to it as contactless payments. Not unusual for someone to use a card for a paint brush, let alone a tin of paint. We can, if we had any bank cash. Cash and the subsequent giving of change gives two way contact with possible transference of disease. We can sanitise a card machine in seconds as well as wearing gloves, washing hands between every transactionbut someone paying say £500 in ten pound notes means we would spray every single note with sanitiser, Dettol spray we have in abundance in the evetuality of opening. Other sanitisers are available . These are all suggestions coming out of various retail trade bodies, FSB etc.

The only big store I'm aware of is BAnd Q refusing cash, my local supermarkets are accepting cash but rather you use your card. In other words it's not a full out refusal of cash. But as pointed out by wooden head I also have not seen sanitising of card machines between customers. But if your wearing gloves then handling  cash isn't an issue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

On the topic of card machines, I have not noticed Sainburys, Aldi or Asda sanitising card machines after each use - they are being sanitised but not per use.

You wouldn't need to sanitise if the card was used contactless either as there would have been no physical contact between the machine and the card, only chip and pin adds the degree of contact.

I have been trying to follow the advice to make contactless payment. Without much success as each of my recent supermarket shops has totalled £46.xx, just above the contactless limit.

• Like 1

Queueing outside might not be a problem as long as the recent good weather continues. But what about when the weather is not so good? How many prospective customers will go down with colds after getting a soaking?

• Like 1

I have heard it suggested that facemasks, I think "face covering" is probably more accurate, could be a viable substitute for "social distancing" if the latter is not possible, perhaps these should be a requirement in the more 'cosy' shops. model or otherwise?  That seems to be the suggestion for public transport too.

jh

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Harris said:

I have heard it suggested that facemasks, I think "face covering" is probably more accurate, could be a viable substitute for "social distancing" if the latter is not possible, perhaps these should be a requirement in the more 'cosy' shops. model or otherwise?  That seems to be the suggestion for public transport too.

jh

Lets go back 7 weeks ago to the government advice on face masks that they didn't have that much affect. We have lurched from one piece of advice to another strange now they seem to be advocating masks

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, John Harris said:

jh

That should work well in shops. I have even seen it suggested for pubs but nobody has been able to explain to me how you drink a pint of beer through a mask.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

Lets go back 7 weeks ago to the government advice on face masks that they didn't have that much affect. We have lurched from one piece of advice to another strange now they seem to be advocating masks

No we haven't if you listen properly to the advice.

Face masks we are told do NOT have much protection at close quarters - especially if they are not the medically used ones. The 2m rule has much more effect. And don't forget, with ANY symptoms, you should be self isolating anyway.

Where face coverings come into play, is in an indoor situation (including public transport, which is indoors), where fairly close proximity is unavoidable. ASSUMING that people who should be self isolating have done so, then the face covering adds another layer of protection to the 2m rule. That rule could be broken, for very short periods, indoors; droplets are not totally  prevented, but the risk of them passing from one person to another is much reduced. And don't forget the dispersal of droplets outside is much more effective outdoors than indoors.

Stewart

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

The only big store I'm aware of is BAnd Q refusing cash, my local supermarkets are accepting cash but rather you use your card. In other words it's not a full out refusal of cash. But as pointed out by wooden head I also have not seen sanitising of card machines between customers. But if your wearing gloves then handling  cash isn't an issue.

My nearest big supermarket is card-only at staffed checkouts, but still takes cash at the machines. Even if having to insert the card and input a PIN, that is still less physical contact than exchanging coins and notes ? Personally I prefer using cash where possible but have been using my card for everything since lockdown, no matter how small the transaction, with the result that I have not needed to use a cashpont since March ! Sadly, even if model shops do re-open soon, I use public transport to reach them, which at the moment is strictly verboten, with no end to this particular diktat in sight.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, John Harris said:

facemasks, I think "face covering" is probably more accurate, could be a viable substitute for "social distancing" if the latter is not possible

Hi folks,

Up here (Edinburgh) we are, like the rest of Scotland, encouraged to wear 'face coverings' so as to reduce the risk of us spreading it as we breath out.  The important word is 'encouraged'; most folk I see in the local supermarkets don't bother.

As for model shops re-opening, I don't see that happening here until late July or early August, and then only if the 'routemap' goes well.

In the last two months I have dealt with a lot more mail order than in any previous year as a whole.  In this I have found a wonderful, and positive, attitude from all of the shops I have dealt with, even the one who is thinking of  throwing existing customers out of the first floor window ..... !

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 2

On the topic of facemasks, it does seem like the Government lurches one way then the other, but at the outbreak of the illness they wanted us as far away from each other as possible as that was more effective.  Putting masks into the mix there would have made it more difficult to effect the mass shutdown of the UK as people would have been more likely to question it.

As we edge out the other side then less effective methods can be employed as it still improves the situation when we are close to other people - to return to any sort of normality we have to be in close quarters with other people and the Government's message 7 weeks ago was so good that everyone is now frightened of their own shadow so masks will be one way to help those most fearful.

I've not worn a mask so far, one of my children has to wear one at work now, it doesn't aid breathing let me say.

If I have to wear masks in certain situations I will do so, more to not be a nuisance than to satisfy my own need.

• Like 1

Guest Half-full

I recently had pneumonia, and my doctor has advised against me wearing a mask as my breathing is still slightly compromised, even though I feel perfectly fine otherwise.

It hasn't stopped me going to the shops when I need, or going out for exercise though

1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

Care should be taken while wearing gloves, it’s what you do after you’ve handled the money. Don’t touch your mouth face or eyes while wearing the gloves. It is said that your skin (hands) is a good barrier to the virus. At work I don’t wear gloves, I use hand sanitiser and wash my hands frequently. I think the advantage of the gloves is that wearing them reminds you not to touch your face.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, 87029 said:

We are looking to re-open as soon as possible. We now need to re-build our business after a couple of months of minimal mail order business following the omission of us from what is perceived as the definitive list of those offering mail order. Several days of 'Nil' takings hurts!

Because of how our shop is laid out, we will have to be inventive. Our front door and the shop are not visible to one another, so a system of 'traffic light' signage will be employed that is visible from the front door. Fingers crossed, this will work, and customers will honour it.

One aspect we will not be instigating is separate entrances/exits, so we will not have to throw exiting customers out of the first floor window!

We are still awaiting some items of required safety precautions to be delivered, assuming the couriers are not ignoring the "Deliveries, please knock' sign on our door. And this week will see us setting up the shop to give everybody the best protection possible.

We will update our website home page as things progress, and hopefully we will get to see some of you at C&M in the weeks and months ahead

Screenshot (2461).png

Well, if you need any assistance with ‘enforcement’ I’m not back at work until a week on Friday... ;-)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Care should be taken while wearing gloves, it’s what you do after you’ve handled the money. Don’t touch your mouth face or eyes while wearing the gloves. It is said that your skin (hands) is a good barrier to the virus. At work I don’t wear gloves, I use hand sanitiser and wash my hands frequently. I think the advantage of the gloves is that wearing them reminds you not to touch your face.

Probably wise to use gloves when handling cash, particularly if you have small cuts or cracks on your skin aa you may well do ifvyoy’re washing your hands frequently.

When I have to spend five hours in a bus cab again, I’ll use every protection I can get my hands on, given a second wave is now inevitable.

41 minutes ago, Mad McCann said:

Probably wise to use gloves when handling cash, particularly if you have small cuts or cracks on your skin aa you may well do ifvyoy’re washing your hands frequently.

When I have to spend five hours in a bus cab again, I’ll use every protection I can get my hands on, given a second wave is now inevitable.

Gloves retain the virus / bacteria longer than sanitised hand do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Plan for AGR is either the one of the two following -

— Have desk outside and have click / collect system or Ask at the desk and staff will find products for the customer.

- One or Two person system in / out with PPE shield for staff & customers alike.

Problem we have at present our mail order has been high and with Royal Mail / post office reducing their opening hours we will have to reduce ours so we drop off parcels etc etc 

Also giving us time to clean store after each day etc etc 

Anthony @ AGR

• Like 1