Model Shops Opening 15th June 2020??

1 hour ago, AGR Model Store said:

Problem we have at present our mail order has been high and with Royal Mail / post office reducing their opening hours we will have to reduce ours so we drop off parcels etc etc 

This is a potential problem we have identified, although our hope is that Royal Mail/Post Office may return to normal hours once lockdown is lifted.

With last collection from our main Post Office scheduled to be at 3p.m. from this week forward, we may have to schedule a 'lunch hour' within our opening hours, and spend it standing in a queue. And you can almost guarantee that this is when customers will turn up at our door!

Even once 'normality' resumes, we will be permanently changing our opening hours to allow for the fact that Royal Mail's last collection from the main Post Office is before what had been our closing time.

Ive been obtaining supplies from my local shop pretty frequently. Hes there 2 days a week and ive rang him with my requirements. I pay via BACS and when I get to the shop I ring him and he puts the items outside. No contact at all but vital support for the local shop.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 87029 said:

This is a potential problem we have identified, although our hope is that Royal Mail/Post Office may return to normal hours once lockdown is lifted.

With last collection from our main Post Office scheduled to be at 3p.m. from this week forward, we may have to schedule a 'lunch hour' within our opening hours, and spend it standing in a queue. And you can almost guarantee that this is when customers will turn up at our door!

Even once 'normality' resumes, we will be permanently changing our opening hours to allow for the fact that Royal Mail's last collection from the main Post Office is before what had been our closing time.

Have a look at drop and go. You'll get a card that you top up online. Then you simply leave your parcels at the office, theres usually a designated place to leave them ( or ar least there is in the offices I work at ). You wont need to queue. All your tracking numbers show up online in your account once they have been processed - usually the same day. 

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/dropandgo

Edited by meatloaf
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Ive been obtaining supplies from my local shop pretty frequently. Hes there 2 days a week and ive rang him with my requirements. I pay via BACS and when I get to the shop I ring him and he puts the items outside. No contact at all but vital support for the local shop.

I have been wanting to do the same. But it seemed to me that this would not be in accordance with the Govt regulations. I will ask Dominic Cummings. He'll know.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

Model shops aren't a problem since I live in East London and, sadly, we haven't had one for a few years now.  The health risks from handling a parcel are, pragmatically, highly minimal.  There is more danger to the delivery driver when out on the road should he be in an accident. 

Edited by wasabi
Punctuation
  • Agree 1

Happy day today as I was able to visit my local model shop. They’re located in a garden centre so I guess this is how they been allowed to open. Only one customer in the shop at any one time, sanitise hands on way in, and allowed ten minutes for buying and chatting! :D

Made an essential purchase to keep me going slicing through acres of greyboard for my Scalescenes boxfile, and of course essential to support my local shop!  :good_mini:

idd

1 hour ago, 87029 said:

I guess we might be lucky we have one open from 9 -3 ( post needs to be dropped off before 2:30 ).

All we plan to do is open from 10 so gives us couple hours to pack / get orders round to the post office.

9 hours ago, Andymsa said:

But if your wearing gloves then handling  cash isn't an issue.

Yes it is. Medical professionals advise that gloves are disposed of after any use as they can retain germs and virus and transfer to every surface they come into contact with.

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

Yes it is. Medical professionals advise that gloves are disposed of after any use as they can retain germs and virus and transfer to every surface they come into contact with.

Absolutely correct in a medical environment, in the case of a non medical envoirment regardless of a gloves being worn or not the same germs will be transferred to all surfaces touched.  Gloves just protect the wearer, but that doesn't stop you even sanitising your hands even with gloves on which would minimise the transfer of possible germs.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Andymsa said:

Let's hope that model shops can reopen on June 1st, as I'm sure many modellers are running out of some supplies. An intreasting point that I noticed was card only for payment, I'm not really sure that cash can be refused, normally this is not the case but I can see why this is being adopted but does it reduce risk ? Or is it a case of being able to bank that cash, but is it realistic to pay by card for an item such as a humbrol paint tin.

Retailers can refuse cash if they choose as they still own the goods.

Where it cannot legally be refused if it is offered to settle a “debt”, the classic example being paying a restaurant at the end of the meal for items consumed (Even restaurants could make it clear prior to service that payment is card only as the contract is yet to be formed).

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, wasabi said:

Model shops aren't a problem since I live in East London and, sadly, we haven't had one for a few years now.  The health risks from handling a parcel are, pragmatically, highly minimal.  There is more danger to the delivery driver when out on the road should he be in an accident. 

If you live in London it is safe to travel to a shop in Durham....apparently.

• Like 5
  • Funny 5

18 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Retailers can refuse cash if they choose as they still own the goods.

Where it cannot legally be refused if it is offered to settle a “debt”, the classic example being paying a restaurant at the end of the meal for items consumed (Even restaurants could make it clear prior to service that payment is card only as the contract is yet to be formed).

Not quite correct, although a store can refuse cash they cannot sue you for you offering that cash to settle a debt. What would be interesting is you get to a checkout and offer cash but it is refused would that be theft or not as you offered to pay and that payment is refused and you leave with the goods

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/what-is-legal-tender

update

i have just looked this up a was quite surprised at the findings so I stand corrected.

Edited by Andymsa

3 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

Not quite correct, although a store can refuse cash they cannot sue you for you offering that cash to settle a debt. What would be interesting is you get to a checkout and offer cash but it is refused would that be theft or not as you offered to pay and that payment is refused and you leave with the goods 

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/what-is-legal-tender

No matter what the circumstances once you decide to leave the store without paying, you have committed the act of theft.

2 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

No matter what the circumstances once you decide to leave the store without paying, you have committed the act of theft.

Yes I have just clarified this point, I was supprised about the statement of what is legal tender and how a trader accepts payment. There are some exceptions but I'll let others look those up.

2 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

I used to work in a petrol station, the amount of times a customer says they have no means of payment was obscence. But because they came into the store its a  civil officence, police not interested - no crime occurred. Its only a crime if they drive off without coming in the store.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, meatloaf said:

I used to work in a petrol station, the amount of times a customer says they have no means of payment was obscence. But because they came into the store its a  civil officence, police not interested - no crime occurred. Its only a crime if they drive off without coming in the store.

That is different. That is covered by the 1978 Theft Act, Making Off Without Payment.  Different law and different circumstances to that used in the circumstances above. Once you have put petrol into the car you cannot return it. The circumstances relating to offering payment, payment not given/taken and then you walk out of the store is covered by the Theft Act 1968

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

That should work well in shops. I have even seen it suggested for pubs but nobody has been able to explain to me how you drink a pint of beer through a mask.

Yes that one has puzzled me especially this morning after seeing a FB post for a brewpub that we know in California (Rincon brewery, Carpenteria). They have opened for dine in and beer but their sign says facemasks must be worn, enforced by the County.

I get really down seeing queues in our town so we avoid it as much as possible now and if there is a long queue for our local Sainsburys we go elsewhere. If this happens to modelshops then I will stay with mail order. This also reduces what I spend which is good for me but not for the retailers.

16 hours ago, AGR Model Store said:

I guess we might be lucky we have one open from 9 -3 ( post needs to be dropped off before 2:30 ).

All we plan to do is open from 10 so gives us couple hours to pack / get orders round to the post office.

We operate Mail Order as previously, the only change has been that we now create the Parcel/Package Address Label in the shop.  Then we can leave the parcels at our local Post Office Counter, which happens to be in a 7/11 store.

Reduces the need to queue up, obtain the postal cost, have the label(s) stuck on then pay - so reduces the time spent by their Staff too and everyone is happy.

4 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Yes that one has puzzled me especially this morning after seeing a FB post for a brewpub that we know in California (Rincon brewery, Carpenteria). They have opened for dine in and beer but their sign says facemasks must be worn, enforced by the County.

I get really down seeing queues in our town so we avoid it as much as possible now and if there is a long queue for our local Sainsburys we go elsewhere. If this happens to modelshops then I will stay with mail order. This also reduces what I spend which is good for me but not for the retailers.

Has been suggested by some owners that you will no longer be able to stand and drink at the Bar, you will have to collect your drink(s) and then sit at a table.  For some establishments that will reduce the number of customers.

13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

If you live in London it is safe to travel to a shop in Durham....apparently.

Clive, or they can travel to Chelmsford -  less distance.

Hope you are all keeping well, and modelling.

• Like 1

There's two big problems with the retail outlet my wife works in. Customers can touch the majority of the items on sale, some in cardboard boxes, others in plastic or polythene. Do we know for definite how long a drop of moisture containing Covid could remain active? Also the card machine isn't linked to the till, so the sales assistants have to touch the number pad to enter the monetary amount. The customer then touches the same keypad to enter the pin if the transactions is over £30 (that was the cut-off amount before shutdown). The minimum transaction amount at the till is £5, but there's plenty of items priced below that where it was cash only. Merchant service charges wipe out the profit on a £1 birthday card.

We're thinking that she should take an unpaid break or possibly just pack in work if she's not happy with the situation.

• Friendly/supportive 2