Model Shops Opening 15th June 2020??

There have been some guidelines available for some time now :

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/shops-and-branches

Have been available since 11/05 and updated a couple of times ( including today so I'm assuming these are the guidelines they are referring to ) , just took me an age to find it in the middle of the govt. website - it currently states

The guidance applies to those currently open and will help those that are currently closed consider what their operations need to look like when they are allowed to open.

UNQUOTE

In very basic terms  ( 9 + sections from memory ) it states that you have to undertake a risk assessment, take action to minimise risk ( breaks down into various categories) and then, no joke, says if you are unable to meet a requirement its OK as long as you say you have tried - so you could in theory do nothing and just say - we tried !    

Can't see the no win no fee guys and insurance companies accepting the " we tried " statement 

I cannot do all they suggest, the shop is just too small but I have tried and I'm ready for re-opening , I'm also waiting for a backlash from the retail industry in general and for the guidelines to be changed so all my efforts / cash have been wasted.  

Edited by Baz's

1 hour ago, Baz's said:

I cannot do all they suggest, the shop is just too small but I have tried and I'm ready for re-opening , I'm also waiting for a backlash from the retail industry in general and for the guidelines to be changed so all my efforts / cash have been wasted.  

That's two of us. There is only so much we can do, but we are doing our best to achieve as much as is practical. Let's hope it is enough

59 minutes ago, 87029 said:

That's two of us. There is only so much we can do, but we are doing our best to achieve as much as is practical. Let's hope it is enough

The guidance says at the beginning:

"Each business will need to translate this into the specific actions it needs to take, depending on the nature of their business, including the size and type of business, how it is organised, operated, managed and regulated."

That recognises that ultimately the guidance needs to be adapted as required for specific needs. I'm looking forward to having at least some model shops back open and will try and support them.

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

I'm looking forward to having at least some model shops back open and will try and support them.

I am sure I speak for every model shop owner around the country when I say we will be delighted to welcome you all on to our premises again.

There will be guidelines/rules that customers will need to abide by, and we shop owners ask that you abide by these. There will be changes to the way you shop to what you have previously been used to

Roll on June 15th, for those on both sides of the counter

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

11 hours ago, Deltic said:

Has been suggested by some owners that you will no longer be able to stand and drink at the Bar, you will have to collect your drink(s) and then sit at a table.  For some establishments that will reduce the number of customers.

That seems well overdue to me. It's always seemed wrong that someone can order a drink and drink it while stood/sat at the bar, already in the queue for the next one and potentially jump others. That said, I find the whole "Who's next?" system of bar operation (rather than having one or more queues which move along) confusing anyway.

• Agree 3

Its a waste of time model shops opening if they can't take cash.  The wife will know how much I'm spending if its on the card statement. Might as well get it mail order.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, DavidCBroad said:

Its a waste of time model shops opening if they can't take cash.  The wife will know how much I'm spending if its on the card statement. Might as well get it mail order.

no such issues, wife never moans about my spending :D 

From my own experience of model shops and having run one myself, they are very rarely crowded. Large shops could be the ones with a risk. As someone said outside one of the currently open stores, in a queue waiting  to go in. There might only be a certain number of customers in the shop but they are not spread around evenly, and it would be difficult to do so.

So small shops, a couple of customers, probably go in , have a quick look around, chat to the shop keeper , hopefully buy somethng,then go. They might hang around, no problem, and if anyone else comes into the shop and it now looks busy, they can step out , and if they want to can come back in when the other customer leaves.

On the whole I have found many of the small shops I use locally are never that busy, but have a constant flow of customrs, otherwise they would not keep going.

• RMweb Gold
On 25/05/2020 at 11:48, Deltic said:

Has been suggested by some owners that you will no longer be able to stand and drink at the Bar, you will have to collect your drink(s) and then sit at a table.  For some establishments that will reduce the number of customers.

Quite happy not standing at a bar especially if its crowded even back in the pre Covid days. 

there are some bars in the USA we prefer to sit at the bar as many are table service or have a set line for queuing to buy beer at the bar which may work well in some places over here but if the queue is long then we wont go in as it just wont be pleasant. Going for a beer is meant to be relaxing not stressful. Luckily of recent we normally don't go out of a Friday or Saturday night to avoid the crowds.

back to model shops, I really hope that it does work out OK as bigger shops do have the bigger queues at present but the issue maybe the sheer number of queues in the high street crossing one another which happens in ours with just the few places currently open so its more risk queuing outside than in the store.

14 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Guaranteed complete immunity, never get caught, no risk of loss of employment etc...

99127661_2632330320386272_6625258706466504704_o.jpg

Hope his eyes weren't like that when he drove to Barnard Castle to test them !

• Funny 6

I'm now quite happy shopping online. The risk from being in a shop that only allows two people in at a time for a couple of minutes would seem to be very low. The big difficulty for model shops is that kind of the whole point of going is to have a browse, a chat, and maybe pick a few things up to look at them more closely. I can't see this being a good thing to do in the short term.

• Agree 4

On 28/05/2020 at 11:58, Chris M said:

I'm now quite happy shopping online. The risk from being in a shop that only allows two people in at a time for a couple of minutes would seem to be very low. The big difficulty for model shops is that kind of the whole point of going is to have a browse, a chat, and maybe pick a few things up to look at them more closely. I can't see this being a good thing to do in the short term.

Unfortunately we are not going to be able to do that in the short term, according to the current guidelines the 2m physical distancing has to be maintained where possible and, short of ditching a load of stock and shelving, 2 people (possibly 3) will be the maximum in the shop.  If it's quiet then we may be able to chat but if we have a queue then I'm afraid we'll have to ask people to leave as soon as practicable to allow the next customer(s) in.  Also we will be unable to entertain family groups as we have in the past for the same reasons.  This is the way supermarkets, DIY stores and pharmacies have been operating for the past few weeks and this appears to be the new normal, for now.  But as with all things COVID this may change in a matter of a few weeks.  We are encouraging Click & Collect, using the website, where possible to minimise the risk of transmission and discouraging the use of cash but we're determined to Stay Open and Keep Taking Your Money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Phil Parker said:

I've been told that Classic Train & Motor Bus in Leamington Spa will commence limited opening hours on 16th June.

Will he have to go out if a customer goes in? :biggrin_mini2:

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Then there's the queuing outside if there is little space and several adjacent shops open. In a nearby village there are barriers in the roadway to effectively widen the pavement so that folks can queue with 2m distancing both within the queue and to the second path in the roadway for others to walk by, but the restricted space and the distancing means  the different queues for the adjacent shops overlap, so every time a customer exits a shop there has to be a conversation about who is next for that shop's queue. But having established that, then the nest in queue cannot move to go in because there's a stream of people passing in the movement lane. And then people start queuing at the other end of the queue, and they are out of earshot of the protests from the 'established end'...It's quite a comedy, someone should only make a short film.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
clarification

We are busy working towards re-opening fully on Tuesday 16th or shortly thereafter.

In the meantime, we are offering a click/phone and collect service from Tuesday.

The main details of what we are up to is on our updates thread...

Edited by Trains4U
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Pleased to see my local shop, Alton Model Centre, are also planning to re-open on the 15th. 

'In line with latest guidelines the plan is to re-open the shop on 15th June. This will be done in line with Covid 19 guidelines including social distancing. More details will be posted nearer the time.'

I'll be down there as soon as possible to stock up on some much needed basics!

Tom.  

• Like 1