Roco ICE3 unit - Directional Lighting Problem

Mike at C&M

We recently sold a Roco ICE3 unit (reference 72040), but the customer has contacted us to saying there is a problem with the directional lighting, and this is the second time he has encountered this.

Has anyone else bought one of these units and had the same problem where the white headlights and red taillights illuminate in the wrong direction? Indeed, has anyone had one that has worked correctly?

We are looking for a way that he may be able to cure the problem. Any suggestions? Our customer is NOT using DCC.

Thank you for any advice, in advance

Hi Mike,

If it is definitely an analogue only model, then it sounds to me as though the output from the light controlling diodes has been crossed over.

In which case, I would re-solder each output to the opposite set of lights and (I think) you should have a happy customer.

I hope that helps,

John.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gents

I m the customer who purchased the Roco ICE. Mike has been most helpful kindly posting on my behalf.

Allegheny, I initially thought the same, in that it was an issue with the directional lights. However l noticed that the lights lit  correctly for the direction that the controller was set in, leading me to suspect it could be a polarity issue with the feed to the motor. Being a tad old fashioned l m still an analogue user, so if right l m hoping it will be a simple fix either at the DCC blanking plate or swapping the motor feeds at the motor. Funnily this is the second version of this model l have received which displays this fault, has any other owners had similar problems?

Bob C

Hi Bob,

Good to 'meet' you, sir!

I did wonder if swapping the feeds to the motor would do it but I'm not sure.

I can't help further, sorry as my own ICE 3 is a different make and my colleague who I think has a Roco version, well - I can't visit at the moment!

Good luck,

John.

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi John

Many thanks for your input, I will give the lads at Gaugemaster a ring on Tuesday, l did speak to them last December re my 1st Roco 407 which displayed exactly the same issues. At that time l was the only one to have reported this kind of fault.

So we ll see what happens

Cheers

Bob C

44 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi Bob,

Good to 'meet' you, sir!

I did wonder if swapping the feeds to the motor would do it but I'm not sure.

I can't help further, sorry as my own ICE 3 is a different make and my colleague who I think has a Roco version, well - I can't visit at the moment!

Good luck,

John.

Hi Gents

I m the customer who purchased the Roco ICE. Mike has been most helpful kindly posting on my behalf.

Allegheny, I initially thought the same, in that it was an issue with the directional lights. However l noticed that the lights lit  correctly for the direction that the controller was set in, leading me to suspect it could be a polarity issue with the feed to the motor. Being a tad old fashioned l m still an analogue user, so if right l m hoping it will be a simple fix either at the DCC blanking plate or swapping the motor feeds at the motor. Funnily this is the second version of this model l have received which displays this fault, has any other owners had similar problems?

Bob C

Hi,

This model has 3 decoder sockets and the motor is in one of the middle cars.

Is it possible that the motor car is oriented backwards with regard to the end cars?

Regards,

John P

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, jpendle said:

Hi,

This model has 3 decoder sockets and the motor is in one of the middle cars.

Is it possible that the motor car is oriented backwards with regard to the end cars?

Regards,

John P

Hi john 

Not knowing the internal wiring configuration l tried turning the the power car around to see if that made any difference, unfortunately not, as the power car still ran backward in relation to the controller setting.

However your comment re three sockets has me thinking. The power car appears to have traction tyres on all eight wheels and therefore gains power from the coaches attached to it, l wonder if it is an issue with one of these sockets?

Bob C

• RMweb Premium

Well I m happy to report that the problem has been solved. I took my courage in both hands and decided to investigate the issue further. On removing the body from the power car unit  i found a printed circuit board running the length  of the coach. On either end of the board there were fly leads coming up from the coach coupling assemblies which terminated on the board. A quick check with the meter confirmed that they were the motor supply feeds, so l de soldered them and reversed them to swop the polarity at each end of the board.

Model now runs in the correct direction, with correct directional lighting as well. I left it running for about half an hour in each direction with no smell of burning or smoking from the cct board or any of its components

Happy Bunny

Bob C

• Like 1