O Gauge Buildings/Station?

swiftbeam

Hi,

I'm kinda newish to O Gauge, especially the scale layout side of O Gauge, I've only been historically running in the garden, track only.

Now looking to make a small layout on base boards for shows one day. Apart from SkyTrex, I can't find any O gauge buildings (seen Peko Signal box).

Are there any other high quality buildings on offer or where can we buy doors, windows etc to scratch build?

Thanks.

There are quite a few companies who produce excellent laser cut kits, a search on 'Tinternet for "laser cut O Gauge buildings" will reveal some of them.

I won't name them all here but I am certain you will find quite a few if you search.

Most also offer scratch building items on their sites, but I suppose it is relevant to what era/period you wish to model.  

If you cannot find what you require quite a few also offer bespoke buildings and if you're able to draw the details then you would be able to get exactly what you want.

Hope this helps ?

FWIW Here is a building I drew up and sent as a dwg file to a local ( to me ) kit supplier as a one off and it was very reasonable with a quick turn around.

1132961577_Lasercutstn.jpg.6749dba6f36759ad558512cab686a093.jpg

Edited by bgman
photo added
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi,

Very sorry, I forgot to say, I hate lazer wood and 3D print, I simply will not even look at this type of construction for many reasons I will no go into on a forum.

So I'm looking at injection moulded and resin cast 'models'.

2 minutes ago, swiftbeam said:

Hi,

Very sorry, I forgot to say, I hate lazer wood and 3D print, I simply will not even look at this type of construction for many reasons I will no go into on a forum.

So I'm looking at injection moulded and resin cast 'models'.

OK sorry to have posted here.

• Friendly/supportive 3

Hi,

Card is also a no no for me, I find it lacks texture and with such a small layout, all detail will be very closely looked at.

I'm looking for Plastic or resin cast models.

I have been looking for months on the net for plastic or resin, and simply can't find anything other than Skytrex, so I guess there is nothing out there. There is enough range to make something from the Skytrex range, but options are limited.

I would like to know of a manufacturer of resin buildings whose range includes all the main buildings required for a layout.  I'm not aware of one.   The range of Bachmann Scenecraft in 7mm seems quite thin.

Skytrex do have a goodly number of buildings and I have several of their kits.

As for windows and doors, both Lcut and Intentio have laser cut examples of these.

Until someone comes out with something better, I am producing card buildings for my layout.  Relatively cheap, quick and good looking IMO, although perhaps others don't share that opinion.  I tell myself if something better comes along, I can replace my card structures.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, brossard said:

I would like to know of a manufacturer of resin buildings whose range includes all the main buildings required for a layout.  I'm not aware of one.   The range of Bachmann Scenecraft in 7mm seems quite thin.

Skytrex do have a goodly number of buildings and I have several of their kits.

As for windows and doors, both Lcut and Intentio have laser cut examples of these.

Until someone comes out with something better, I am producing card buildings for my layout.  Relatively cheap, quick and good looking IMO, although perhaps others don't share that opinion.  I tell myself if something better comes along, I can replace my card structures.

John

I don't think that there is one. Resin is quite difficult to use at that sort of size - too much warping and shrinkage. It would be OK if the building could be made in modular/kit form.

For brick/stone buildings, plaster casting may be a better option. 

• RMweb Gold

Invertrain model railways do resin  building kits  etc

https://invertrain.com/

Mine are  their GWR range, and if you are prepared to do a bit of modelling you can them to a reasonable standard, I think they are rather dated now and expensive for what you get.

DSC04528.JPG.ef3c4d5ab48e6187ac0d48c2b7adc528.JPG

DSC04536.JPG.56dfaa12fe8c2ec0508ff3f052df238c.JPG

DSC04567.JPG.6bf2db62080869b0c5648425b1e5107d.JPG

But personally, unless for health reasons , I think you are missing out not choosing lasercut kits.....

DSC05191.JPG.c05090b72ff15159f5e721147b0ae12d.JPG

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Resin models always seem to be very expensive to me for what you get. 

Even lasercut is pretty dear but I find Lcut to be reasonable.

I also think it important for layout buildings to have a certain consistency of style.

John

Edited by brossard

8 minutes ago, ROSSPOP said:

Forgot to say Swiftbeam

That Invertrain also supply resin windows, doors, and other building parts to aid scratchbuilds etc

Also try:;

https://www.422modelmaking.co.uk/

Just beat me to it.  I have used them for several projects including two club layout stations. Chris is very helpful especially if you cannot see what you need.

Wandering around Telford last year I was amazed by the quality and affordability of some of the laser cut plywood buildings. One day I may have to get over my Plastikard addiction and give them a try.

My tip if you are new to this: make full size paper plans, find the windows and doors to fit, buy them, and then build round them. If you cannot get the exact size you redraw to what is available.

• Agree 1

I have to say like swiftbeam I was sceptical of the Laser cut buildings but I bought some LCUT arches and an office building and they are very good but do benefit from further details. I added new barge boards, window sills, plus roof tiles and downpipes and gutters to the office (the latter from Invertrains) and it makes a huge difference.

15 minutes ago, 37114 said:

I have to say like swiftbeam I was sceptical of the Laser cut buildings but I bought some LCUT arches and an office building and they are very good but do benefit from further details. I added new barge boards, window sills, plus roof tiles and downpipes and gutters to the office (the latter from Invertrains) and it makes a huge difference.

I've done the same with Lcut buildings, they do scrub up nice with a fair bit of "modelling".

John

Plastikard and Microstrip are not cheap. Allowing for blades and solvent, a 75cm long station building will quickly devour a £100 kitty.

I only mention this to add perspective to any debate on other materials. It is possible to scratch build windows from Microstrip but the cost quickly exceeds the price of ready made cast resin items from Invertrain. One difference in 7mm modelling is that these buildings deserve, even demand, fully detailed interiors. The interiors and the function of each room are the key to the overall layout of the building

• Agree 1

Hi,

I have a my personal opinions as to why I don't want card, Laser Cut or 3D print. The number one reason why is they all have texture and 'feel' problems in my opinion.

I will look into the companies mentioned above, so thank you for that :-)

17 minutes ago, swiftbeam said:

Hi,

I have a my personal opinions as to why I don't want card, Laser Cut or 3D print. The number one reason why is they all have texture and 'feel' problems in my opinion.

I will look into the companies mentioned above, so thank you for that :-)

These are few examples of laser cut; I think for realism, they are hard to fault. So I'm interested what texture and feel problems you mention?

Chaple.png

IMG_3901_cut.png

PC 24.jpg

photo-3-1.jpg

WEB Pagoda hut 24.jpg

WT-03.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, BrushType4 said:

These are few examples of laser cut; I think for realism, they are hard to fault. So I'm interested what texture and feel problems you mention?

Chaple.png

IMG_3901_cut.png

PC 24.jpg

photo-3-1.jpg

WEB Pagoda hut 24.jpg

WT-03.jpg

Fair question. Plastic and resin don't exactly have the right "feel" either.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Lasercut stuff is getting really good.  Some of the guys in my Group are producing truly excellent models using lasercut kits.

The problem with resin or injection moulding in 7mm is the size (and the cost)  Buildings in 0-scale get physically big, and those methods are far better suited to smaller sizes/scales.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1