O Gauge Buildings/Station?

swiftbeam

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, O-Gauge-Phil said:

Also don't forget O has about 8 times the material of oo.

A completely pedantic point admittedly but I'm not sure this is actually right!

You are correct about the significantly greater volume but you dont pay for the air inside. Each "panel" of material is only about 3 times the size (7/4 * 7/4). 

At least 8 times better tho'!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 3

I

I commissioned a laser cut kit from Steve Smith at Railway Laser Lines. The kit built up beautifully, and with a bit of paint, and mortar done as per this video, it looks and feels quite real, far superior to card.

I had bought a Lcut loco shed in the past and disliked how it felt in the hand and it did put me off, and it ended up in the bin. However, I am very pleased, over the moon actually, with how Steve’s kit went together, and very good value and very robust, the lesson I took from it, is don’t let first impressions cloud your judgement, buy a small hut if necessary to start with, and see what you can do

• Like 1

I've also been somewhat sceptical of laser cut buildings in the past. a friend of mine had a signal box and it was so flimsy and difficult to work with it ended up in the bin. It is certainly worth shopping round and you get what you pay for. There are a few of the structures I have built and range from very basic to quite involved, though they all have their own merits:

Intentio Bothy & Pub (the pub is a re-worked version of a low relief kit Phil offers).

1594336187_IntentioLNERTypeDConcreteHut.jpg.2b05e23b091757c3ff3547418f6ef9e9.jpg

53793214_NewLayout31.jpg.a28b50a03c9b2e2442c94ae3fbb40fb6.jpg

KS Designs Bridge & Arches:

1503144786_NewLayout10.jpg.4ad2463e940e856562a7535c713210ea.jpg

746387005_NewLayout27.jpg.10fdfa4d4ac0f9bb3b4ca07cf1ac64df.jpg

Northumbrian Painting Services Supermarket (Bespoke kit, laser cut structure laminated in plastic sheets) & Terrace house (Work in progress).

1790475343_Safeway15.JPG.984199a3f25dddfaf22c1f1480b7fa8a.JPG

114100039_NewLayout30.jpg.37782b8dbeb420617c7df8716558337a.jpg

I'd certainly look at Laser cut buildings, maybe try a hut or bothy form one of the manufactures and see how you get on? This is a write up I did of the Intentio Bothy or our website that might be of help: http://www.modernimageogauge.co.uk/intentio-lner-type-d-concrete-hut.html

Edited to say the Supermarket build is on our website too, forgot I had written that one up! http://www.modernimageogauge.co.uk/npssuper.html 

Edited by D6775
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, D6775 said:

I've also been somewhat sceptical of laser cut buildings in the past. a friend of mine had a signal box and it was so flimsy and difficult to work with it ended up in the bin. It is certainly worth shopping round and you get what you pay for. There are a few of the structures I have built and range from very basic to quite involved, though they all have their own merits:

Intentio Bothy & Pub (the pub is a re-worked version of a low relief kit Phil offers).

1594336187_IntentioLNERTypeDConcreteHut.jpg.2b05e23b091757c3ff3547418f6ef9e9.jpg

53793214_NewLayout31.jpg.a28b50a03c9b2e2442c94ae3fbb40fb6.jpg

KS Designs Bridge & Arches:

1503144786_NewLayout10.jpg.4ad2463e940e856562a7535c713210ea.jpg

746387005_NewLayout27.jpg.10fdfa4d4ac0f9bb3b4ca07cf1ac64df.jpg

Northumbrian Painting Services Supermarket (Bespoke kit, laser cut structure laminated in plastic sheets) & Terrace house (Work in progress).

1790475343_Safeway15.JPG.984199a3f25dddfaf22c1f1480b7fa8a.JPG

114100039_NewLayout30.jpg.37782b8dbeb420617c7df8716558337a.jpg

I'd certainly look at Laser cut buildings, maybe try a hut or bothy form one of the manufactures and see how you get on? This is a write up I did of the Intentio Bothy or our website that might be of help: http://www.modernimageogauge.co.uk/intentio-lner-type-d-concrete-hut.html

Edited to say the Supermarket build is on our website too, forgot I had written that one up! http://www.modernimageogauge.co.uk/npssuper.html 

The brick work on the terraced houses could be amazing. Carefully  cut and sand the front and rear back to the first mortar line ( yes, floors and roof also), and once the mortar lines are cut across the ends of the side piece you have perfect matching bricks. Only the top scratch builders usually achieve this.

Edited by doilum
Predictive text error

Not just the brickwork but other decorative elements too.  Extremely simple buildings, like the hut above, can be scratchbuilt fairly easily.  I'm a proper numpty when it comes to architecture so  prefer to let others do that side of the research and I focus on building, which is why I do kits.

John

40 minutes ago, doilum said:

The brick work on the terraced houses could be amazing. Carefully  cut and sand the front and rear back to the first mortar line ( yes, floors and roof also), and once the mortar lines are cut across the ends of the side piece you have perfect matching bricks. Only the top scratch builders usually achieve this.

The pub I am not too worried about as the guttering and down pipes will cover the corners and I want to be able to get inside it at some point to maybe add an interior of sorts. The terrace houses are some way off yet and will, as you suggest, likely have some work done on the corners to blend them in a bit better. It is one thing that bug's me with some laser cut buildings that the edges aren't cut and don't blend in.

Edited by D6775
Spelling.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, D6775 said:

The pub I am not too worried about as the guttering and down pipes will cover the corners and I want to be able to get inside it at some point to maybe add an interior of sorts. The terrace houses are some way off yet and will, as you suggest, likely have some work done on the corners to blend them in a bit better. It is one thing that bug's me with some laser cut buildings that the edges aren't cut and don't blend in.

The trick is to build the interiors as you go along. You will never find the time later! Building interiors helps to develop an understanding of function and structure which help you to create realistic buildings. Few of us will ever reach the standard of  Pendon modellers, but that doesn't stop us following their principles.

One reason that laser cut models (or any other material for that matter) look " dreadful", is that they are completed on the bench and then " plonked down" on the baseboard. Scratch builders usually extend the walls a good 6mm into the ground so that the building looks "rooted". One solution might be to glue a basement of 6mm square timber beneath the completed kit and then create a raised landscape to surround it.

There is a wealth of good published material on the subject, my own favourites being Gordon Gravett in 7mm and the work of Ian Rice, Bob Barlow and Barry Norman in 4mm thirty years ago.

Whilst it is fairly easy to purchase some exquisite ready to run stock, buildings and landscape will require a learning journey......

• Agree 1

I've started scaling up 00 card kits and cutting them out of ply or foam board. Ply is more expensive but stronger and you can scribe planks or bricks into it. It takes time but these day that's what everyone has.

Marc

Hi.

All my buildings were commissioned by Andrew at 422, thats the station building (based on Lechlade, Glos), signal box, goods shed and water tower all based on buildings at Bourton on the Water, Glos.

Speaking to Andrew at 422 this week he is snowed under but at least you can email him or look at his web site.

Regards

Julian.

• 2 months later...

GWR South Devon Structures in best laser cut materials

https://railmodel.co.uk/

They also do bespoke laser cutting so may be able to cut to order from plans. I have had track templates cut to sizes not usually available. Very satisfied with the speed of turn around...

Lcut a good range of generic and prototypical structures plus a raft of new models in 1:43

http://www.lcut.co.uk/

Petite Properties

https://www.petite-properties.com/ mainly a dolls house supplied but with N, OO and O gauge buildings listed. A useful range of low profile building types. Fairly basic 'board finish' allowing muddlers to run the full range of decorative surfaces. Those contemplating trying a little perspective modelling there is a range of 1:48 dolls house property which maybe useful.

As with many smaller suppliers tweaking of standard models may be an option. Always ask if you want something at variance to the items manufacturers offer in a kit, extra doorway or windows etc are not impossible to plan in if you can supply the source references.