Which readily available contemporary track is suitable to run the coarse scale Tri-ang locos and rolling stock on ?

phil gollin

Which readily available contemporary track is suitable to run the coarse scale Tri-ang locos and rolling stock on ?

(I know that Series 4 track is readily available secondhand, but I;d like something a bit better)

Thanks.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

(I know that Series 4 track is readily available secondhand, but I;d like something a bit better)

Thanks.

I have found that vintage locos and rolling stock with very deep wheel flanges are inclined to strike every chair when running on modern commercial track.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I have found that vintage locos and rolling stock with very deep wheel flanges are inclined to strike every chair when running on modern commercial track.

You could always try filing flats on the flanges to clear the chairs

:) :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Only problem I have with the code 75 & flanges hitting chairs, is with the Lima wheels. I'm gradually going through my stock and turning them down on the lathe (just a few dmus). I don't get the Triang ones striking the chairs.

Stewart

ps I did notice a problem yesterday, I got a loco out of my roundtuit box. Basically a standard Triang chassis (with a resin replacement body) and a standard Triang B12 tender. The loco needed a clean/service, then ran fine on the code 75. However the tender had a problem with its wheels. They were the plastic "1/2 axle" type on a steel axle, so the b2b can vary. I had to superglue them apart a bit wider to get a near enough correct b2b; this is temporary as I shall be replacing them with metal ones. Before sticking them to the axles, they really wobbled through the points as the b2b was far too narrow.

• Like 1

Most of my old Triang locos and rolling stock run quite well on Peco code 100. Some of the very oldest such as a late 50's Princess do make a bit of noise and occasionally derail the front bogie going through modern points but on the whole are fairly reliable.

Dave R.