Color edges of Scalescenes roof tiles??

For those using Scalescenes roofing tiles, do you color (e.g. light grey) the exposed white lower edge of each individual strip?  Or is it not worth the effort as the white serves to mimic reflected light and thus adds depth?  Advice please.

George

North Carolina

I use a black Sharpie to colour the edges of each strip George.  Takes a bit of time but white edges are pretty glaring.

You can see the effect on this little building:

P1010122.JPG.296720b437ab4d30289fab2a62ab0e16.JPG

Actually based on a Lcut weighbridge kit but I used Scalescenes brick and roof tiles.

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Application of a dark wash after fixing the strips can colour the edges.  Another option is to print on grey paper.  This will change the overall colour of the tiles a bit, but should still be OK.   

I have a Silhouette cutting machine and have got this to cut the Scalescenes slate/tile strips.     I also produce slate strips on this machine from grey art paper (Daler Rowney Murano paper, slate colour), with gaps cut between each individual slate similar to those on laser cut slate strips from the likes of York Modelmaking.    They need weathering to produce some colour variations across the roof.    

• 1 month later...
On 26/05/2020 at 10:15, ed7 said:

I also produce slate strips on this machine from grey art paper (Daler Rowney Murano paper, slate colour), with gaps cut between each individual slate similar to those on laser cut slate strips from the likes of York Modelmaking.    They need weathering to produce some colour variations across the roof.    

And there was I looking for a suitable material for slates and I see this post, you may have made my day LOL

• 1 month later...

I scrape dark grey artists pastel onto the roof [rusty red for tiles] with the back of a scalpel blade and brush all over to cover up the edges. If you don't want it on the face of the slates/tiles, wipe off with a soft cloth. If you want the effect of newer, shiny slates, rub the powder into the surface with a stiffer brush and Lo! It will come up shiny. If that's too much of a faff, then just like Andy, a watercolour wash.2060143863_slateexample.JPG.c8bf1678c18aa9828087cc647e7351ab.JPG1813904219_smallbuilding2.JPG.57b12b4419fcb78eab21a1ed818601bd.JPG

Poop-poop!

Doug

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1