• RMweb Premium

I have just dug out of my "to do" box an IKB Models kit for a GWR S6 6-wheel third. It is daunting, so many tiny bits and my soldering is still abysmal.

But the point of the post is the instructions. I have a yellow covered booklet "A guide to brass kit construction" and a folded A4 sheet with information about the state of the vehicles at various dates - changes to brakes, lighting etc,

But there are no instructions specific to the S6 kit. Have I lost them or did they never exist?

I have to admit that I am much happier with wagons than carriages, but I really have too many wagons and not enough carriages so it is time to be brave and try to assemble this kit.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
typo

3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

or did they never exist?

I have a number of these kits and instructions specific to each model never existed.  The yellow booklet is quite comprehensive though.  Construction of one of this range was covered in "The 4mm Coach Part Two" so might help.   IIRC the book states that the chassis would be difficult to get to work in anything but P4.  Eitherway, I have used a Brassmasters 6 wheel Cleminson underframe on the ones I've have built thus far; have a look in my coach thread

Edited by Brassey
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 minutes ago, melmoth said:

I think the IKB kits are now with the Broad Gauge Society. They might be able to advise further.

I got some of my kits from the BGS.  If I recall, they supply a rebranded BGS version of the yellow book with these kits.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Jonathan, I've got my half built kit out and a quick review shews why it's only half built; the 6 wheel chassis is a no-go.  I suggest that you do either as @Siberian Snooper suggests and use a Blacksmith chassis OR choose one of the 2 coaches that were converted to 4 wheels and use Bill Bedford w-irons, which is the route I'm going.  The body is plain soldering and everything goes together in the right place.  The instructions shew both arrangements of break-gear, you need to outside arrangement.  The castings are interesting:

IMG_0272.JPG.b3ef4cb2c4c10df038ce32dbed06c113.JPG

the top hats on 'U's are the gas lamps tops which you'll probably use, rather than the oil lamps (all joined together)  But the gas cylinder, if that's what it is, is rather crude and the wrong shape.  Is it the oil reservior?  I'm going to use a Dave Geen gas cylinder as on this chassis which also shows the Brassmasters cleminson chassis.  The cylinder is cut in 2 to allow the cleminson bit to do its job:

IMG_0273.JPG.e681e5030a74c64787643391b1f189f2.JPG

Edited by Penrhos1920
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2