Chandwell - N Gauge 1990s city viaduct

Chandwell

11 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

I've got some photos of a few advertising hoardings I photographed around May 1991 for a layout project that never happrned. I can scan them for you if they might be suitable.

That would be awesome if you can please! I’m looking for something striking (too much detail will be lost at N scale) but obviously 90s. Something depressing or dull. Beer or cigarettes or chocolate. Or utilities privatisation. That kind of thing. If any of your pictures fit that description, I would love to have a look... thank you. 

2 hours ago, Chandwell said:

That would be awesome if you can please! I’m looking for something striking (too much detail will be lost at N scale) but obviously 90s. Something depressing or dull. Beer or cigarettes or chocolate. Or utilities privatisation. That kind of thing. If any of your pictures fit that description, I would love to have a look... thank you. 

I'll dig out the photos and scan them. One is one of the enigmatic 'Silk Cut' fag ads.

The Scalescenes girder bridge printed kit has advertising hoardings suitable for 80s and 90s including Ford Capri, Marlboro and Casio for naffness. And some good InterCity rail ones. Although not the Jimmy Saville ones....

12 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Found them. Seven in total. They'll need a little 'squaring up', but hope they might be useful.

Wow! Thank you.  They are all completely naff - exactly what I wanted. The Yellow Pages one may just be perfect. It's even torn and peeling. Do you have a date when it was taken at all, please? And if you don't mind me using it, I think I will give it a try out on the building. (I'd forgotten all about Cadbury's Strollers!). 

4 hours ago, TomJ said:

The Scalescenes girder bridge printed kit has advertising hoardings suitable for 80s and 90s including Ford Capri, Marlboro and Casio for naffness. And some good InterCity rail ones. Although not the Jimmy Saville ones....

Cheers Tom. I have the kit but am trying to avoid using them as I want something "a bit different". So far I've tried a few but not found the one that is really perfect. But I do like the Capri one in the Scalescenes kit, so you never know!

Glad I could help. The posters were photographed in June 1991 (or maybe early July at the latest).

A warning on the Capri poster - the Capri ended with the 280 edition in 1986 so you're unlikely to have a Capri poster 'new' in the 1990s, though you could have it (perhaps partially) revealed with later ones being peeled off.

• Thanks 1

On 01/01/2021 at 15:21, BernardTPM said:

Glad I could help. The posters were photographed in June 1991 (or maybe early July at the latest).

A warning on the Capri poster - the Capri ended with the 280 edition in 1986 so you're unlikely to have a Capri poster 'new' in the 1990s, though you could have it (perhaps partially) revealed with later ones being peeled off.

Thank you again. What do you think? I think it is perfect. Represents the 90s brilliantly. Is run down and naff. Just like the rest of Chandwell. Thank you so much! Where was it photographed? Can you remember? I’ll mention it in my next video on YouTube. Please let me know if you’d rather me not mention your name. Cheers!CEA55693-8789-4352-9A39-58C6E48AF552.jpeg.717d7d0107baf7582660560c2d67930e.jpeg

• Like 18

20 minutes ago, Chandwell said:

Thank you again. What do you think? I think it is perfect. Represents the 90s brilliantly. Is run down and naff. Just like the rest of Chandwell. Thank you so much! Where was it photographed? Can you remember? I’ll mention it in my next video on YouTube. Please let me know if you’d rather me not mention your name. Cheers!

It does look good. Good to see it used at last! I think that and the second one were Stratford E15, somewhere on or along from Stratford Broadway. There was a lot of redevelopment going on there at the time. 3-6 were at the Romford Road end of Green Street E7 and the last one on Forest Gate station.

Not sure I'd like to come out that pub after a few shandies on my way for a kebab as it stands, looks a bit dangerous.  :-)

I'm sure of course you'll be adding pavements etc in due course.

The gold lettering is particularly effective BTW, lovely work and the yellow pages ad certainly 'dates' the scene just as you require

• Funny 1

16 hours ago, millerhillboy said:

Not sure I'd like to come out that pub after a few shandies on my way for a kebab as it stands, looks a bit dangerous.  :-)

The gold lettering is particularly effective BTW, lovely work and the yellow pages ad certainly 'dates' the scene just as you require

It's even more of a death trap at the moment... the cellar doors are open too! :-D Will need to call in the Works to sort that pavement out!

On 06/01/2021 at 08:50, Chandwell said:

It's even more of a death trap at the moment... the cellar doors are open too! :-D Will need to call in the Works to sort that pavement out!

Shades of poor old Uncle Albert in OFAH

• Funny 2

On 05/01/2021 at 16:49, millerhillboy said:

TBF, it’d take a fair bit of confidence to go into that pub ! More than even chances of getting glassed...

• Funny 1

Hi Michael,

Nice modelling. I am glad to see that you have only illuminated some of the rooms in the pub. I have done this to the buildings on Shirebrook, I think the illusion is lost if light glares from every window.

Cheers

Duncan

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/01/2021 at 07:08, Duncan. said:

I am glad to see that you have only illuminated some of the rooms in the pub. I have done this to the buildings on Shirebrook, I think the illusion is lost if light glares from

Yeah, I think it makes a big difference to only have a few rooms lit, especially on a building like an inn.

On 11/01/2021 at 21:56, Stuart A said:

I'm absolutely loving the atmosphere you are creating with this layout.  Some stunning modelling and attention to detail.

Thank you - that means a lot. I am trying to make this an atmospheric (if dirty, dingy and a bit depressing) layout.

• Like 2