Chandwell - N Gauge 1990s city viaduct

Chandwell

• RMweb Premium

Could you roll some replacement column bases from paper and glue them to the platform, allowing the columns to slot into them. This would give a finer appearance than what you currently have and stop the floating effect - any floating would be within the paper tube and not visible!

Steven B.

• Like 2

Thank you, everyone, for your excellent suggestions of things I could use to improve/replace my columns. I like the plastic tube idea, although the wrapped-paper round the end approach is definitely in line with my approach to things generally! :D I am going to leave them for now and see what I think in a week or two. They do grate a little with me, but maybe I will stop noticing them once my attention is turned to the next build.

If you're interested, I have completed the video of the build, and it's here.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update to show my plans for the side of the station. This is intended to have a look like Sheffield Victoria with bits of Darlington, Bingley, and Sheffield Midland. All quite low so as not to obscure the view into the station. I’m starting to build it this weekend. 

0F812646-A2DF-4791-95FC-5AAB9634938B.png

05A75DAC-D83C-437F-B940-7D70BBC886B3.jpeg

• Like 19

• 2 weeks later...

I thought you may like this tongue-in-cheek look at Chandwell in its current state. Here is a Visit Chandwell Tourist Board video from 1993 in which local celebrity Britney Scroggins shows you exactly what you are missing out on by not being in Chandwell right now. 

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, TomJ said:

Love it!

Although still not sure I want to visit!

The Visit Chandwell Tourist Board has a new slogan for 1994. “Chandwell. A lovely pace to leave”. 

21 hours ago, TomJ said:

PS - hope you wore a hat taking those photos

I did! And if you watch my next video, you may even see it! Should be on YouTube in the next few days. 

19 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I love how the railway sits within those units, black was certainly the right colour, the whole things just 'fits'

Thank you. I love the units. The railway is in my garage which is also the office where I work all day so I needed it to be tidy and attractive in its own right. We also needed extra kitchen storage space so we had a joiner build the cabinets from basic MDF. I chose a dark colour (“Mid Azure Green” ) to set the whole thing off and I think it worked. Took me the evenings and weekends of about four weeks to paint it all but it’s turned out well. 

Edited by Chandwell
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Super.

I could spend half in an hour in that smiths, is there a cafe for a tea after ?

watch out for Pippa’s Pantry moving into the next building just next door to the Visit Chandwell Tourist Board’s new office. Dripping with grease and with steamed up windows it will serve the perfect mug of Builder’s Yorkshire tea. 

• Like 1

This is what I am thinking for the ground outside the station. This is the side of the station, not the front, and is parallel to the tracks. 

2021-04-24_10-20-17.png.d1c1fc7f4cca5497092152a07456c12f.png

Here is a mock-up of the building, which I am starting to make today. If you see any issues with the design above for the ground, then please shout up as I would like to correct it before I start building!

IMG_7689.jpg.d27fb81542cf11b746311e61c3e5b0cf.jpg

And just as a reminder, the ground will rise from baseboard level on the left, to slightly higher than platform level on the right:

2021-04-24_10-25-21.png.425a4a70d881ac1ebd390fb2b2d2f007.png

Edited by Chandwell
  • Like 11

I’ve been having some fun making the back wall of my station building. Adjoining the siding, this whole wall will probably never be seen except at a very acute angle in some camera shots taken from the platform ends. 

So I’ve gone a bit mad with the graffiti (all named after people who will “get it” when they see it) and I’ve added a couple of red brick 1970s fire escapes where they just broke through the lovely Victorian stonework. 

It won’t ever be seen but it was a fun couple of hours making this. 

2AB339DA-91F5-4279-88D5-A9E4953FF1B8.jpeg.34cfbdfc15d1782537d83dd219d86da5.jpegAC32BF16-E76C-4E70-8175-98A1EF0116D0.jpeg.7299d09ce9e33620a430d74bd1e81956.jpeg29A2851A-763D-4E24-BB3E-5C9669EB9A6A.jpeg.ef587ec3c14fb1ee01a196c1143a67ae.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't agree with graffiti on models, I somehow think it encourages the real thing, but it is a fact of life, and it has to be said, you've produced a superb and very realistic looking vandalised wall there ... well done!

Do we need to start looking for your 'tag' around Chandwell???? :)

Rich

• Agree 1