Lockdown Liguria - Italian N

9FEd

On 26/05/2021 at 12:52, 9FEd said:

Haha, love it - it did cross my mind in construction that if you had some easily exchangeable details you could possibly create a layout that was 'dual country'.

That's very much  my future plan; Creating dioramas which can join together.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lockdown Liguria is on the move! We've had a busy time completing on and moving house - it turns out that Liguria is, entirely inadvertently, a made to measure fit for the back of my car and, because it is so light, was very easy to move! 

It is pictured in the new railway room - and yes, that is a 10x4 space that needs filling... 

IMG_20210611_172150978_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210611_211913975_HDR.jpg

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

Hi 9FEd,

Blimey, that's a lovely blank canvas you have there to work with. The new ideas part of your brain must be in overdrive.

Hope your enjoying your new home and looking forward to the ideas and future progress.

Cheers, Chris (weave) :drink_mini:

• Like 1

On 18/06/2021 at 10:42, weave said:

Blimey, that's a lovely blank canvas you have there to work with. The new ideas part of your brain must be in overdrive.

Hope your enjoying your new home and looking forward to the ideas and future progress.

Thanks Chris! 10x4 is certainly a good chunk of space in N, I am a serial layout sketcher and so looking forward to working through a few design iterations. As trailed earlier, my 'other' interest is the Midland mainline through the Peaks and so the space will probably be used for that with Liguria as my 'Italian bit on the side'. A solely Italian 10x4 has certainly crossed my mind though!

• Thanks 1

Great work - looking fowards to seeing an expansion in due course!

Any signs or early reviews of the E.656s from Arnold yet?  I'm still thinking about an Italian N excursion loosely based on Sanremo in around 2000.  It is certainly possible with the new Arnold stock.  My only worry is modern FS coaches in N gauge as these seem to be in short supply.

To see why this is appealing, here is a Youtube video taken around that time - 35 minutes of bliss by the sea!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

@fezza superb stuff, thanks for sharing. Sanremo station is where it all started for me! No sign of the Arnold E656 yet - the website still states "summer 2021"... 

I agree that modern era coaching stock is thin on the ground, although XMPR Eurofirma can be hunted down with some persistence. I assume this will change as it seems slightly odd that all other eras in coaching stock are better covered! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I am delighted to come across some pictures of the E656's on the Arnold Facebook page, seemingly images of the final models - lets hope they ship soon! 

552775219_FB_IMG_1630501948391(002).jpg.1989dc1e6e24d99c84a3167c9a12e256.jpg

181413988_FB_IMG_1630502016989(002).jpg.3ba92d4150221fae81c77c74f2fafa40.jpg

Edited by 9FEd
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

E656s are due in the shops in about 3 weeks, according to various posts I've seen from the Verona model show over the weekend. 

Also, I saw this posted over the weekend that may be of interest... 

spacer.png

E444 with thirteen coaches! From the E444 Tartaruga ... nata per correre! Facebook group, by Corrado Sala. Express 349 from Cerbère to Roma, between Alassio and Albenga in 1984.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2761900820786681&id=100009003710431&set=gm.3465173130258032&source=48

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 06/09/2021 at 08:54, 5944 said:

E656s are due in the shops in about 3 weeks, according to various posts I've seen from the Verona model show over the weekend. 

Excellent intel, thanks for sharing! I've gone all in for a DCC sound one.  

Spectacular! I do wonder if Arnold will tackle the E444 if the Caimano is a success (as it surely will be :wink_mini:) - it would make a natural complement, although appreciate Pirata do offer an updated version of the Mehano E444 tool. Either way, if there was only ever the E656 from Arnold I would have absolutely no complaints! 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

A lifetimes aspiration... fulfilled! The Caimano is also my birthday present from my wife, which is actually next month - fortunately and in her words "you've waited long enough"! 

2058860041_56DE8DA9-CE13-42CB-AF9C-3A2A4726268F2.jpeg.905d22ba673cdc60643c2928b8b18306.jpeg

I'm also pleased to say that the E655 lives up to the (not inconsiderable) expectations upon it and my example is silky smooth, powerful and sure footed. The articulation in model form is a joy and as per the prototype certainly helps on those tight curves! 

• Like 13

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Further confirmation of why the sides of the rails are painted white in Italy on the prototype - after a couple of hours in Sunday's sun, the rail on the inside of the reverse curve had heated and expanded so much it broke entirely free of the sleepers! Permanent way repairs were implemented with Gorilla Glue and running has been restored... 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 5 weeks later...

I've been doing a little bashing in Liguria the last few days and clocked a couple of Caimanos in the large yard west of Savona. They were with a group of other freight locos so they may possibly still be in service. It is hard to get up to date information and I was on a passing train so couldn't get a picture.

The new grey Trenitalia livery is now taking over on the coast but many 464s are still in the old livery. The new EMUs are now to be found on many La Spezia service.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a little but you might find it interesting if you don't get to Liguria that often!

IMG_20220805_165856452_HDR.jpg.875f843f915063d7957fda9688f9bfdb.jpgIMG_20220805_170549376_HDR.jpg.5e808eb2698d6b84911b4c34b7f01b14.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 10/08/2022 at 14:39, fezza said:

I've been doing a little bashing in Liguria the last few days and clocked a couple of Caimanos in the large yard west of Savona. They were with a group of other freight locos so they may possibly still be in service. It is hard to get up to date information and I was on a passing train so couldn't get a picture.

The new grey Trenitalia livery is now taking over on the coast but many 464s are still in the old livery. The new EMUs are now to be found on many La Spezia service.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a little but you might find it interesting if you don't get to Liguria that often!

Belatedly - I certainly don't get to Liguria as often as I would like and contributions from 'boots on the ground' in Liguria are most welcome! As you say, it is pretty hard to get English language info  and so all snippets gratefully received. It woudl be good news indeed if a handful of Caimano were retained for freight work, although suspect they are perhaps most likely retained for stock moves and/or simply stored.  

• Like 1

On Lockdown Liguria, I made the most of the last of the September sun with an outdoor running session and photo shoot - the track on the ledge at the front of the layout was ultimately replaced, re-ballasted and re-weathered after warping in the heatwave when I attempted a photo shoot in the summer. Fortunately I think the track looks better this time around than when first done!

I continue my incremental acquisition of Interfrigo vans with the rake now at six - appreciate that XMPR cargo livery with Interfrigo vans is probably a stretch and so each additional van also takes me incrementally closer to a pearl grey/blue liveried E.656 😅

DSC_0284.jpg.97141a8d1be88baa1fc01438b528e5ab.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 months later...

image.png.0e5a1c06af7eae9a3e289e4012118c5e.png

Absolutely delighted to say that Liguria will be making an appearance in the next upcoming issue of Continental Modeller, available from December 15! I've spent decades reading model railway magazines marvelling at the standard of layouts within, can't quite believe Liguria will now be one of them 🤩  

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 4