Lockdown Liguria - Italian N

9FEd

5 hours ago, 9FEd said:

Absolutely delighted to say that Liguria will be making an appearance in the next upcoming issue of Continental Modeller

Felicitazioni! The annual Xmas pressie subscription renewal reminder arrived in madame's inbox this week, so I look forward to reading all about it!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

Felicitazioni! The annual Xmas pressie subscription renewal reminder arrived in madame's inbox this week, so I look forward to reading all about it!

Grazie mille! You will recognise a couple, but not all, of the pictures! 

On 08/12/2022 at 14:27, 9FEd said:

image.png.0e5a1c06af7eae9a3e289e4012118c5e.png

Absolutely delighted to say that Liguria will be making an appearance in the next upcoming issue of Continental Modeller, available from December 15! I've spent decades reading model railway magazines marvelling at the standard of layouts within, can't quite believe Liguria will now be one of them 🤩  

Nice article and enjoyable read in the January Continetal Modeller. I would like to do something similar in H0 scale one day, ( I have a Roco E656 Caimano on pre-order from Germany). Like you I have visited the Nice- Ventimeglia-Genoa area a few tiems, regretablly, I did not take any photos at the time during my visits!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/12/2022 at 17:38, irishmail said:

Nice article and enjoyable read in the January Continetal Modeller. I would like to do something similar in H0 scale one day, ( I have a Roco E656 Caimano on pre-order from Germany). Like you I have visited the Nice- Ventimeglia-Genoa area a few tiems, regretablly, I did not take any photos at the time during my visits!!

Thank you very much - I think it is some kind of iron law that you either don't take or don't take enough photo's in hindsight! I actually only have a handful of pictures of E656's on the Ligurian coast myself. I do find the H0 models very appealing and there is a good amount of support in H0 so I hope you get to embark on the project at some point! 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Leopard 2s for Ukraine: I have a long standing interest in military modelling and, more generally, defence policy and as a nod to this I have started to build out a train loaded with armoured vehicles - in this case 2x Leopard 2 tanks (as per much recent press, shortly to be supplied to Ukraine), 4x M113 APCs and 1x M109 howitzer (each as already supplied to Ukraine). Of course, the European rail network is an important part of efficiently moving heavy armour across Europe, even if the Ligurian coast route itself is perhaps not likely to find use as a key supply artery! The Roco minitanks vehicles woudl all benefit from some weathering - which is on the to do list! 

882947603_Leo2s.jpg.4c7ae98924c7737496b437a91ef07cbb.jpg

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This might be of interest, and not a bad price either. 

https://www.locomodels.it/it/locomotori-diesel/d445-1017-xmpr/

https://scalaenne.wordpress.com/2023/05/02/arriva-la-nuova-loco-d-445-in-scala-n/

Space for speakers, stay-alive capacitors fitted as standard. Detailing looks pretty good as well - my only criticism is the windscreens look a bit too recessed on the close-up view, but I'm sure they'll be fine at normal viewing distances.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/05/2023 at 09:54, 5944 said:

https://scalaenne.wordpress.com/2023/05/02/arriva-la-nuova-loco-d-445-in-scala-n/

Space for speakers, stay-alive capacitors fitted as standard. Detailing looks pretty good as well - my only criticism is the windscreens look a bit too recessed on the close-up view, but I'm sure they'll be fine at normal viewing distances.

Thank you! That is certainly a good price - although I must confess that I have just 'invested' in further traction and accompanying rolling stock for Liguria and so may have exhausted my budget for now 😅 Pictures to follow upon arrival! 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 9FEd said:

Thank you! That is certainly a good price - although I must confess that I have just 'invested' in further traction and accompanying rolling stock for Liguria and so may have exhausted my budget for now 😅 Pictures to follow upon arrival! 

I know the feeling - five UIC-X coaches in FS grey are heading my way at the moment...!

• Funny 1

• 3 months later...
On 02/05/2023 at 09:54, 5944 said:

New tool Hornby Arnold D445 now inbound for 2024! Including a DCC sound version 😁

Screenshot_20230922-120707.png

• Like 4

Which reminds me - what's better than one Caimano? Due Caimani! 

An investment courtesy of my Continental Modeller article fee 😁 And the perfect compliment to all those Interfrigo vans I accumulated! 

PXL_20230620_142925847~2.jpg

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Enter the TEE Ligure! 😍 After tracking down the KATO/Pirata 4 carriage set that supplies FS 'Gran Conforto' variant dining, luggage-generator and two first class carriages I can induct an example of an FS operated international TEE service, as it would have been constituted 1972-82 (after 1982 second class carriages were added and the TEE Ligure was reclassified as an InterCity service on a shortened Milan-Nice route). 

The GC carriages are extremely long - but can make it round if the driver takes care! 

Typically a blue/grey E444 would have been deployed at the head of this service, but Caimano could and did appear too! 

PXL_20230630_160324600~2.jpg

PXL_20230630_160340626~2.jpg

PXL_20230630_161903315~2.jpg

PXL_20230630_161924971~2.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 17/10/2023 at 11:47, Revolution Ben said:

Wow- those coaches are gorgeous, but I am not sure I ever saw them get down as far as Sicily!

I may have to see if I can get some nevertheless!

The TEE 'Vesuvio' Milan-Naples used these GC coaches too so yours can just take the train ferry into Sicily after a short run from Naples... ! 

Edited by 9FEd
  • Like 1

Hornby Arnold making the Italian N gauge community very happy with not only the D445 diesels to look forward to but also another articulated Italian electric, the E646s in a variety of guises! 😍 The years of famine are well and truly over now! Going to have to build an extension with a Ventimiglia style roundhouse for this glut of motive power 😅

646.JPG.005e28c056659d4b1b47cdc492276642.JPG

Present day Frecciarossa ETR1000 trainsets also inbound too!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/09/2023 at 18:10, 9FEd said:

Which reminds me - what's better than one Caimano? Due Caimani! 

An investment courtesy of my Continental Modeller article fee 😁 And the perfect compliment to all those Interfrigo vans I accumulated! 

PXL_20230620_142925847~2.jpg

Have you considered using fine clear fishing line to tie the pantographs to a set height. The advantage is they still fold down for storage. Yes it’s fiddly but I’ve used tweezers to thread the knit and it does look good with the pantograph up slightly ;) 

2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Have you considered using fine clear fishing line to tie the pantographs to a set height. The advantage is they still fold down for storage. Yes it’s fiddly but I’ve used tweezers to thread the knit and it does look good with the pantograph up slightly ;) 

Haha I agree they would look better! Always a bit scared to fiddle with the pantos but maybe I just need to be braver...

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, 9FEd said:

Haha I agree they would look better! Always a bit scared to fiddle with the pantos but maybe I just need to be braver...

Well you can’t really damage them adding it, I made a jig to hold the pantograph at a set height using two small towers of Lego with the loco laid on a cloth on the studs, it’s fiddly but easily removable. 
just use a couple of 1x1 blocks as the height limit when you tie the second knot ;) 

IMG_2837.jpeg.ed5259c2d94c62255d62c9cf156987d2.jpeg

• Craftsmanship/clever 2