Lockdown Liguria - Italian N

9FEd

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

One thing I have found with scenic is that often I feel it doesn’t quite look right until I have added the details, then suddenly everything comes together.

With your retaining walls, and comparing with the photographs, there are small shrubs that grow between the cracks, a dust/muck thrown up by passing traffic lower down, and there’ll be other details like signs/pipes/railing etc that will probably add to the effect once finished.

I think on balance I prefer the Vollmer embossed card too.  Certainly compared to the photo the embossing of the Wills sheet seems exagerrated.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

If you coupled the two power cars together, you could get away with running the “Ligure” TEE which ran as a two car diesel unit from Marseille to Milano via Ventimiglia and Genova from the fifties through to the seventies... You’d have to repaint the power cars red and cream though for a bit of authenticity! ( Must admit though the blue Pullman set is a very handsome consist, so fully agree with you invoking rule 1).....Interestingly an N gauge version of the TEE set is produced by an Italian “ artigiano “ producer called LoCo - and the chap actually produces some examples of Italian electric motive power as well, including a couple of Bo Bo Bo examples.

Prices don’t seem to be at the eye watering levels of some of the Artigiani produces, although ( speaking as a total NON expert modeller), quality might be a little short of current levels.....Here’s the link to LoCos site www.locomodels.it

The only other pure artigiano producer of motive power in N that comes to mind are a German outfit called Euromodell FP. I remember seeing them at the Novegro exhibition for a few years and their models were superb (although they were eye wateringly expensive).

Link to their catalogue page here: www.euromodell-fp.de/index.php?seite=produktauswahl&kategorie=2.

I’ve rattled on long enough! Keep up the good work Ed....I think you’ve got the sweeping curves shown on the close ups just right, by the way!!

Saluti

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ben A said:

I think on balance I prefer the Vollmer embossed card too.  Certainly compared to the photo the embossing of the Wills sheet seems exagerrated.

Thanks Ben and I'm glad that there has been a vote for the embossed card because I have since followed my instincts, taken off the Wills sheet and doubled down on the card approach! 

IMG_20200606_165732732_HDR.jpg.ed2fe7cde0b132bf99fe8ff933e6b607.jpg

Agreed that the plants growing out of the walls et al should help to tie the scene together (Mininatur perhaps?), along with some capping for the walls (and also some RailMatch 'sleeper grime' to tone my sunbleached track bed down a bit too...  )

I have also replaced the mock-up galleried tunnel with something more permanent, as you can the glue is quite literally still drying and the clay yet to be toned in... 

IMG_20200607_175427192_HDR.jpg.53df16d0f430aa340aeb4b891b2108b0.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Settebello said:

I’ve rattled on long enough! Keep up the good work Ed....I think you’ve got the sweeping curves shown on the close ups just right, by the way!!

Thank you very much indeed, like all railway modellers sweeping reverse curves hold plenty of appeal and if they can be Italian then that is even better! Good to hear that you think they look 'right' though, I didn't have much length to work with but think they are sufficiently generous to look natural.  

On motive power, the TEE Ligure is a fine train (whether the multiple unit or loco hauled as later) and I have considered hunting down the Kato TEE FS carriages that were produced a couple of years ago to represent it. The Blue Pullman has been circulated as just 2 power cars, but I think Rule 1 will remain in force for the foreseeable future! 

I have browsed Loco models before and been tempted, although as you say the quality is an unknown. After waiting for so long, I am happy to wait a little bit longer for the Arnold Caimano. (Although I am considering acquiring an Arnold E483 Mercitalia for some interim prototype traction, even if it is not a true Italian classic!). 

I was not aware of  Euromodell FP - undoubtedly beautiful, although - as you say - also eye wateringly expensive! Ciao 

• Like 1

Hi Ed, Yes, good point about the E 483, and they have actually run on the Riviera del’ Ponente ( west of Genova)….indeed some were manufactured ( or assembled??) at the Bombardier plant in Vado Ligure just down the road from me, so plenty of test runs hauling passenger stock as well…..

Who knows, the Arnold E 656 might just be the “game changer” for Italian  N, as the Roco E 626 was for  HO. Prior to that the Italian range of models was very limited……..

…OR….you go down the scratch building route and set your layout in the “three Phase “ era ( sorry, really flimsy excuse to show a photo of scratch built models in N by Claudio Nastasi – Hope you don’t mind!!)

Saluti

0012B N Gauge Three phase locos.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On 07/06/2020 at 20:25, 9FEd said:

Some more progress has been made since I took this pic, although the main event is the arrival of the Blue Pullman which means I've inaugurated some kind  of St. Pancras-Pisa service under Rule 1...

IMG_20200529_132726717_HDR.jpg

Now that would be a journey worth building a time machine for...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update - the sea has been added! IMG_20200613_104644279_HDR.jpg.b6dc165c5541f2c244afed36092c8b47.jpg

The wires are about to go up so I thought I would take the opportunity to pretend we are on the Cumbrian coast and run a nuclear flask trip working (this isn't as mad as it sounds - when I travelled on the Cumbrian coast line last August on a brilliantly sunny day the Irish sea almost could have passed for the Med!) 

• Like 11

Further progress - Liguria has been wired and... I cracked and got an E483 in 'Mercitalia' rail colours to run under them. This means  a milestone has been attained - for the first time ever I am hauling Italian stock, with an Italian loco, on an Italian themed layout! 

IMG_20200621_135936054_HDR.jpg.267ef635ae21f906f60216fa3806d081.jpg

This is also the first model of an electric loco for me and I have to say, I quite like modelling 'under the wires'. Certainly catenary in model form is less visually obtrusive then real life, admittedly largely because you can tower over it! I managed to pick up a pack of the Dapol catenary masts for £5 which will suffice until I elect to upgrade. 

Since the picture, I have also started to add some trackside vegetation at the base of the retaining walls. 

• Like 16

Excellent work – the catenary poles work very well, and great to see some Italian electric traction in N…….must admit the E 656 will look fantastic on your layout, Ed – well worth waiting for!

Must confess that at one point I dabbled (very lightly!) in N scale, but as you had mentioned earlier it was incredibly difficult to obtain anything decent ( at least at sensible prices!) if modelling the Italian prototype. I do have two mementoes from that era that might make interesting viewing. At an Italian exhibition in Trieste, over thirty years ago now, (yikes!) I met a modeller who made very small production runs of N gauge rolling stock, including a model of the FS  Class 207 “Sogliola” shunter, a photo of which I attach……non-motorised, naturally..

Any thoughts of taking this the odd show, when it all starts up again???

IMG_0925.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Settebello said:

Excellent work – the catenary poles work very well, and great to see some Italian electric traction in N…….must admit the E 656 will look fantastic on your layout, Ed – well worth waiting for!

Must confess that at one point I dabbled (very lightly!) in N scale, but as you had mentioned earlier it was incredibly difficult to obtain anything decent ( at least at sensible prices!) if modelling the Italian prototype. I do have two mementoes from that era that might make interesting viewing. At an Italian exhibition in Trieste, over thirty years ago now, (yikes!) I met a modeller who made very small production runs of N gauge rolling stock, including a model of the FS  Class 207 “Sogliola” shunter, a photo of which I attach……non-motorised, naturally..

Any thoughts of taking this the odd show, when it all starts up again???

Thank you very much indeed @Settebello for your encouragement and I have to say now that I am in the stage of adding scenic details I too am eagerly awaiting the E656, I can't wait to see it on the layout!

Re: a show - I am flattered! I have never exhibited anything (do I get invited or do I apply?!) but if someone will have me I would certainly consider it (not least  because then  could justify buying some more stock to my wife... !)

That is a delightful model of the 207, you've definitely got something fairly unique there!  

Perhaps a word on operation (or my aspirations for operation!) - clearly this is a deliberately simple layout - essentially a scenic section of single track with a passing loop to the rear. 

Operationally, I plan to hold an 'eastbound' and a 'westbound' train in the loop, one headed by the E483 and the other the E656. Currently, I have a basic DCC controller but in the future I aspire to a more advanced once that will allow me to control the points in the passing loop. 

To add some further interest to this I'd like to add a reed switch to the passing loops that sets a basic colour light signal at the front of the layout - I'd like to use the signal to tell me when one train has entered the loop and cleared the point so I can release the other train in the other direction. 

This system would also have the benefit of enabling me to stay 'scenic' side at the front of the layout - and I also like that it means the signal would have a quasi-prototypical role in that it won't be changing simply for the sake of it - it will be communicating basic route information to me. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Exhibition invites are a bit of a chicken and egg situation. You are most likely to pick up invites if you are seen at an exhibition. Getting on 'the circuit' in the first place is the tricky bit. If you happen to know someone that organises exhibitions, or if your local club holds an exhibition, that can get you started. Otherwise you need to contact suitable shows, supplying some photos, dimensions and any special requirements you might have.

I would have thought your layout would be ideal for the International N Gauge Show (TINGS) at Leamington, run by Meridienne Exhibitions, or Global Rail at Didcot, run by the German Railway Society, so it would be worth while contacting both. 2021 might well be fully booked, especially with 2020 exhibitions being postponed, so do not be surprised if you get invites for 2022 or 2023 or beyond.

Good Luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

I would have thought your layout would be ideal for the International N Gauge Show (TINGS) at Leamington, run by Meridienne Exhibitions, or Global Rail at Didcot, run by the German Railway Society, so it would be worth while contacting both. 2021 might well be fully booked, especially with 2020 exhibitions being postponed, so do not be surprised if you get invites for 2022 or 2023 or beyond.

Good Luck.

@Ian Morgan thank you for the friendly advice - I may well drop the TINGS organisers an email, it is only be c.1hr drive for me and it seems as if they aspire to a delayed September show (subject to CV19 restrictions) - which would give me a target to finish all the jobs I might not otherwise finish...

Stock update - I have poached the beginnings of an infrastructure train from Rails that is offering a 4 pack of CLF-Bologna branded ballast  tipper wagons for £52 (https://railsofsheffield.com/bundles/37/set-of-4-n-gauge-yellow-tipper-wagons-clf-ep-v-7407-

I recall seeing these when released c.2017 (?) at an RRP of £60 per wagon! Unsurprisingly, it seems they haven't sold well...  

Its also an excuse to post pictures of a CLF yard somewhere on the Milan-Modena route and an RFI train at Orvieto: 

DSC_0149R.jpg.ad1a5763dbb54bb3f91e4e862c08e645.jpg497R.jpg.b7a11a427f5e6fe7eea7cd78cd52aa1f.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Appreciate this has been fairly quiet for a few months - the short version is: lockdown ended, I went to back the office and it was very busy and now lockdown 2.0 is back with dark evenings and I really ought to finish those final few jobs! 

Courtesy of Arnold, I am also delighted to see that there has been some progress with the promised model that inspired this in the first place, the E656 Caimano, CADs emerged last week on the Arnold social media pages: 

image.png.1401ea30b0c7e64e43424c4a931388b2.png

Edited by 9FEd
  • Like 6

Nothing more than an operating session tonight with the E483 at work again at the head of heavy freight, composed of whatever was at the top of the stock box!

However, I have ordered further shrubbery including some flowers for the remaining clifftop - the area around Sanremo is well known for lavender and cut flowers for export, even in the 80s vans were attached to intercity trains for this purpose (Arnold have recently released an appropriate pair). I've also taken a punt on some palm trees to further enhance the general Ligurian flavour! 

Also, if you think my sea has regressed - it has! I added 'just one more' coat of PVA which went cloudy so I've had a repaint and now need to re- PVA. The moral of the story is know when to quit when you're ahead...

IMG_20201110_191114447_HDR.jpg

Edited by 9FEd
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I am keen to try to add the details that will, through cumulative effect, associate the scene with the Ligurian coast and a key part of this is for me is finding a way to represent its distinctive trees - in particular the palm tree, an iconic component of the Western Ligurian landscape and one which is most common around Sanremo and Bordighera. Palms of all types will grow in the Riviera micro climate, although the date palm is the most common. 

As such, I procured a pack of 12 palms from Amazon prime for £8, of which 6 scale to the right height range and so make good value at £1.30 a tree! They are 'plasticky' out of the pack and have excess flash but with a little work with the scalpel and a repaint to more natural, matt tones (Humbrol dark brown and Halfords 'ultra matt' green) I think they work well: 

1386895678_IMG_1148palms.jpg.57187147ffe3f52e7c59363f5966c13e.jpg

Palms tend to be seen more at shore level and often actually alongside the railway, including adjacent to the catenary. I don't want to overdo them but anticipate including around four; they will also be complemented with the other tree of the Italian Riviera - the stones pine (more on them later) which will sit in greater numbers, probably on the first and broadest terrace above the tracks: 

103596635_IMG_1147palms2.jpg.775af17c904c06a6fdfe2718df0d5c33.jpg

I didn't think the scene necessarily needed trees but having started placing a couple (nothing permanently planted yet) it looks bare when I take them away! 

• Like 10

Brilliant work. Stones pines would be great - they are very much a signature item on the western Ligurian coast. The landscape is surpringly lush - I always like to visit the Hanbury Gardens when I'm down there. 

Incidentally, are Caimano locos still seen on passenger turns? I wanted to travel behind one but only saw them on freight last year. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, fezza said:

Brilliant work. Stones pines would be great - they are very much a signature item on the western Ligurian coast. The landscape is surpringly lush - I always like to visit the Hanbury Gardens when I'm down there. 

Incidentally, are Caimano locos still seen on passenger turns? I wanted to travel behind one but only saw them on freight last year. 

Thank you very much! It is certainly a really verdant landscape - often seemingly a wall of green at times! I haven't made it to Hanbury Gardens, although the pictures looks great. Stones pines incoming, definitely an essential addition - I'm going to finalise the tree planting when I can integrate both the palms and the pines. 

On Caimanos - I believe (sadly) now entirely gone from passenger work, they held out on some InterCity services in Sicily until this year and I think only a dwindling number remain for freight on the mainland (although heartening that you have seen them recently). Where did you catch them and do post any pictures if you are happy to - I am basically building this layout to run Caimanos on freight trains! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Last one I saw was in Genoa in the western maritime yard (not sure of yard's official name?) August 2019. I was on a passing train so didn't get a picture. Somebody told me one is now dumped there covered in graffiti but haven't seen it myself. 

Haven't been to Sicily for about four years but must try to get back. Might just catch the last of them if travel restrictions lift. I guess fewer services under Covid might see them all off very soon. 

• Like 1

@fezza we actually went to Sicily in October in the travel restrictions window - although we flew direct and were staying on the far SE coast so well away from any Caimanos. I'd also like to go back and would plan to make a more determined effort to catch the last of them - this news piece suggests that they may still be clinging on: https://www.ferrovie.it/portale/articoli/9640 

Edited by 9FEd
  • Informative/Useful 1