Orient express sleeping carriage layout.

Hello all,

I need some guidance. I'm searching for a top view (layout) of a sleeping carriage for Orient Express train. I would like to replicate a scene from "Murder in Orient Express".

Any help will be appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

I think you need to be more precise with your requirement.

IMDb says the 1974 film (albert Finney as Poirot) was set in December 1935, but one of the rescue locomotives was a French 141R purchased by SNCF from American manufacturers  as WW2 came to a close.  I have not studied in detail the CIWL cars used but would bet that they re not all pre-1936.

Further the book was published 1.1.1934 so Christie's coaches could be older still.

The 2017 version with Branagh playing Poirot is likely to use different cars again.

• RMweb Premium

Our copy of the book (Pocket Books, 1940, printed 1974) has a diagram of the coach. Is that what you need? Page 56, start of Part II.

The layout is side corridor. Looked at from the corridor side, a WC at the left end and WC and conductor's seat at the right end.

From the left 4 double rooms (bunk beds?), pairs sharing a washroom. Single room (Poirot), 3 paired rooms with partition & door, single room at the end. All have a T in the corner.

Numbering is weird. Starts with 1 for H.P, then 2,3. 4/5 is left end going up to 10/11. then 12 to 16 beyond 3 to the right.

The Orient Express in the thirties had steel CIWL sleeping cars of the type S. Here are some drawings of different types with different layouts:

P1030996.JPG.1d0bd4a8166ed2350d5d7b7e5fc01da4.JPGP1030997.JPG.4cb0620ee15185a23d14b7eac4f95f60.JPG

The earlier (before 1925) Orient Express had wooden sleeping cars.

The now running Venice Simplon Orient Express has sleeping cars of the type LX; many pictures of the interior of a model I made can be seen here: http://sncf231e.nl/amati-kit-for-a-ciwl-lx-sleeping-car/

Choose a type in my e-book and I can let you know the interior layout: http://sncf231e.nl/ciwl-carriages-by-fredsmall/

Regards

Fred

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Our copy of the book (Pocket Books, 1940, printed 1974) has a diagram of the coach. Is that what you need? Page 56, start of Part II.

The layout is side corridor. Looked at from the corridor side, a WC at the left end and WC and conductor's seat at the right end.

From the left 4 double rooms (bunk beds?), pairs sharing a washroom. Single room (Poirot), 3 paired rooms with partition & door, single room at the end. All have a T in the corner.

Numbering is weird. Starts with 1 for H.P, then 2,3. 4/5 is left end going up to 10/11. then 12 to 16 beyond 3 to the right.

My copy (HarperCollins paperback) has the same diagram. The numbering would make more sense if it were the layout shown in the diagram below, with Poirot in the leftmost compartment, 2/3 being the next pair, 4-11 the four second class 2-person compartments, and 12-16 the singles on the right.

2 hours ago, sncf231e said:

The Orient Express in the thirties had steel CIWL sleeping cars of the type S. Here are some drawings of different types with different layouts:

P1030996.JPG.1d0bd4a8166ed2350d5d7b7e5fc01da4.JPG

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1