RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

News just in from the RevolutioN Trains.

They are planning on doing "Caroline" the inspection saloon in OO gauge. Multiple variants of Caroline throughout her lifespan will be available. CAD work is fairly advanced. And some CAD images of the different variants were displayed during the livestream.

Sweet Caroline from Revolution

Steve-Poole-2048x1357.jpg

Image courtesy Steve Poole

Revolution Trains is offering the historic celebrity inspection saloon 975025 Caroline as its next model in 00/4mm scale.
IMG_0850.jpg

TDB975025 in “as built” condition with headcode box and jumper cables

During its long life Caroline has carried Princesses and Popes, seen vast areas of the network and is now earmarked for the National Collection once her working days are over. Revolution would like to thank LORAM and Network Rail for their kind help and assistance in developing this model.

8D269AEA-B4FC-4ED5-B971-22D80D290A13-204

Revolution research trip to LORAM Derby

As an additional bonus, those who order before 31st August 2020 will be entered into a free draw to join us on a free and exclusive “Sweet Caroline” railtour. 

Sweet-Caroline-tour-map-1.jpg

The Revolution Trains Sweet Caroline railtour will travel from Derby on a circular route taking in the WCML via Crewe and Stockport before heading across to the Peak Peak District and reaching the Midland Mainline before returning.  The exact route and date is yet to be finalised and will of course depend on the relaxing of social distancing rules.  Those on board will be able to enjoy the saloon facilities and food will be provided.  Traction is expected to be a DRS Class 37.*

The handful of guests will be chosen in a draw held during a Revolution Trains Facebook Live event in September. 

David-Hills-2048x1431.jpg

TDB975025 carried Prince and Princess of Wales on the first leg of their honeymoon in 1981. Photo courtesy David Hills.

TDB975025 entered service as the Southern Region General Manger’s Inspection Saloon in 1969.  It was converted from buffet car S60755 taken from Class 203 “Hastings” unit 1031, built eleven years earlier. Originally fitted with SR 27-way jumper cables, 3rd rail shoegear and with two-character headcode boxes, it was outshopped in BR Blue Grey with yellow ends.  

Traction was usually provided by Class 33 or 73 locomotives but from time to time the saloon would also be coupled to the front of passenger units such as VEPs and CEPs and used as a driving car.

Michael-Hart.jpg

Photo courtesy Michael Hart

In 2006 ownership of Caroline passed to Network Rail, and the saloon was extensively rebuilt by RVEL in Derby and repainted into a bright turquoise “viridian” green, the non-standard colour attributed – probably apocryphally – to a mix-up when paint was bought from a local DIY shop!

During this rebuild the headcode box was plated over, the SR 27-way jumper cables were replaced with blue-star connections, LED tail lamps were fitted and 3rd rail pick up equipment removed.

Tony-Callaghan.jpg

Photo courtesy Tony Callaghan.

In January 2015 Caroline emerged again from the Derby paint-shop in yet another livery – BR Southern region Brunswick green – which it carries to this day.

0EE29618-CAA9-4EFC-93EA-53B76AD3457B.jpe

Operationally 975025 Caroline has been used for BR General Manager meetings, track inspection and line testing far and wide, but is perhaps best known for its many celebrity and VIP duties.  These include:

July 1981 – formed part of Royal Wedding train and HRH Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales travelled in the saloon from London Waterloo to Romsey.  TDB975025 was at the rear of the train and carried a specially created crest.

May-June 1982 – carried Pope John Paul II from Gatwick airport to London Victoria on the first stage of his celebrated tour of the UK, the first ever by a reigning Pope.

May 1992 – formed part of the Class 50 farewell tour on the West of England line.

October 1992 – working with 73112 ‘University of Kent’ became the first train to travel from London Waterloo into the Channel Tunnel – being propelled roughly 150m into the bore.

Caroline was formally designated for the National Collection in December 2008, and once no longer required by Network Rail will be preserved for the nation alongside its Royal Wedding counterpart, Class 73 electro-diesel 73142 (73201) Broadlands.

IMG_0847.jpg

CAD of “Caroline” in current form with revised light clusters and plated over headcode box.

The Revolution Trains model has been extensively researched and is designed to set a new benchmark in RTR rolling stock.  It will feature accurate headcode and light variations, fully sprung buffers, era-specific driver’s desk, a highly detailed interior with separately-fitted era-specific chairs and numerous underframe parts. Flicker-free directional lighting, interior lighting solebar lighting and DCC options are being offered.

EA057763-7E26-42EF-A8C8-BEC87E9394E6-204

Researching the interior

9D94C8DA-5B94-45F3-B089-0C24FD49F5B9.jpe

CAD cutaway showing interior details

The liveries on offer are:

Version 1 – BR Blue Grey with small totem as built 1969-1984
00-SGMIS-001-V1-British-Railways-1969-19

Version 2 – BR Network Southeast 1991-2003
00-SGMIS-002-V2a-Network-SouthEast-2048x

Version 3 – Network Rail SR Brunswick Green 2015-present
00-SGMIS-003-V3-Network-Rail-2015--2048x

Delivery is expected in early 2021.

Revolution Trains would like to thank Network Rail, LORAM and Serco for their assistance in producing this model and arranging the “Sweet Caroline” tour.

We are also exploring the possibility of offering this model in N gauge and to assess demand we are asking N gauge customers to register their interest.

*The exact route, date and traction for the Revolution Trains Sweet Caroline railtour may be subject to alteration depending on circumstances beyond the control of Network Rail/Revolution Trains.

COMPETITION TERMS AND CONDITIONS:

1). Invitees will be selected from all customers who have registered on the Revolution Trains website and ordered a Revolution Trains model of Caroline, in any livery, before August 31st.

2). Invitees will be selected by Revolution Trains during September, and notified via email.  Invitations are entirely at Revolution Trains discretion, and their decision is final. Those receiving a notification email must confirm their attendance before the deadline given or their place will be reassigned.

3). Places on the tour are not transferable and have no cash equivalent value. Invitees who subsequently find they cannot attend should inform Revolution Trains via email, and we will reassign their place.

4). Invitees accept that Revolution Trains may retain some personal data for the purposes of administration of this railtour only.

5). Entering this competition confirms acceptance and understanding of these terms and conditions. Invitees may be required to accept additional terms and conditions to attend the tour itself.

Order your OO gauge version here:

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/product-category/oogauge/caroline-inspection-saloon/

Place your EOI for an N gauge one here:
http://www.revolutiontrains.com/caroline-in-n-expressions-of-interest-form/

RevolutioN Trains has managed to obtain permission from Network Rail and they are planning a "Sweet Caroline" rail tour in April 2021, situation permitting for obvious reasons.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

What is the tour,  can't  imagine they would open it to the public as numbers are strictly limited on it so would be very expensive for a ticket and doesn't have CDL etc

Excellent choice. Can imagine this will sell well, you can get away with coupling it to pretty much anything! Best of luck with this one. 

Edited by NXEA!

Just now, russ p said:

What is the tour,  can't  imagine they would open it to the public as numbers are strictly limited on it so would be very expensive for a ticket and doesn't have CDL etc

They'll be posting details soon. My internet wasn't too good, so the video kept pausing. However they have permission from Network Rail and they did put up a route map, however my internet was playing spoilt sport.

• RMweb Gold

Anyone who purchases a Caroline Model will be entered into a draw/raffle for a place on the tour. 

Tom.  

Edited by TomE
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, TomE said:

Anyone who purchases a Caroline Model will be entered into a draw/raffle for a place on the tour. 

Tom.  

2 minutes ago, TomE said:

Normally its limited to about 20 'passengers' but I wonder if this number could be extended if the saloon was only hauled for the tour 

2DAD901A-FC66-483C-96B2-4428FC4479D6.jpe

TDB975025 in “as built” condition with headcode box and jumper cables

3B03520D-74E5-47D3-9D6F-99D3DAF5CAB6.jpe

CAD of “Caroline” in current form with revised light clusters and plated over headcode box.

Edited by 159220
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to a rumour I heard in a pub (!) I had an idea that Cazzer was on the cards and considered selling my Marc Models kit that has given sterling service on at least three layouts. It currently carries the Opal (viridian) green livery from it's 2009 rebuild.

Consideration had already been given to repainting to current livery and I've already looked at the prospect stripping the topcoat and applying a new layer of SR green. (And it isn't a difficult job)

So - I have a three options.

1. Sell my opal green (2009-2014) Caroline and buy an up to date SR green. (As with most kitbuilt items, the value of them will plummet if a RTR version is announced/available)

(Edit - just seen the two posts above - PM me and make me an offer..........)

2. Repaint it SR green.

3. Keep it Opal and buy a SR green Revolution model.......

My kit is one of those models that holds a high place in my fleet.

Choices, choices....

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

Any ideas why it's not being produced in the bright turquoise “viridian” green livery that it carried from 2006 to 2015?  That would be the version that would fit my time period.

Yes, we had to make a choice given that we're not sure how well this will sell!

There's a few more versions/variants that we're not offering as well. Depending on the reaction to the announcement we'll see what happens next!

Cheers Mike

• Like 1

Well I will almost certainly be biting, just depends a bit on a loco to pull it with. I was surprised at the £135/£149 price tag but thinking about it if it is as detailed and as featured as a high spec loco minus a powertrain then you could argue it's fair. Especially given its bespoke tooling.

And that £135 gets you a legitimate prototypical rake to pull too.

As far as the RTR 37s go, which ones pull it on a regular basis? I see 558 does, 419 has in the past but haven't seen a pic in current livery.

My dilemma is it's not really just £135 if I don't have a loco that pulls it!

I have 2 Colas ones (025 and 099) which I don't think will ever go near it, and 97301 and 37608 on pre order.

I am thinking of a 37/4 too, probably 419 or 425 so hoping some pics appear of either working with it in latest liveries.

10 minutes ago, red death said:

Yes, we had to make a choice given that we're not sure how well this will sell!

There's a few more versions/variants that we're not offering as well. Depending on the reaction to the announcement we'll see what happens next!

Cheers Mike

I think it will sell very well, ideal for any size layout. If you make the funny green, you'll get two off me! (NSE as well).

The Brunswick green is a little too late for me. Hope enough people request it.

• RMweb Premium

It's not difficult to find pics of Caroline with 37401/2/3/5/9/19/23, 47818, N Belle 47790, N Belle 57312 in 2 minutes of searching.

(Not all RTR - but the choices are there)

There's even 37422 in plain blue with 425

This is the rare shot - behind a yellow 31.............. (pic from my collection - used with permission of the original pic taker)

P3010412.jpg.6571b473001f0a0b75cf94b620b74791.jpg

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
Just now, TomScrut said:

That's the crux of it, I need to do some research on which are available in RTR. Not ideal when on my phone!

So do some research before posting.....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

Just now, Eddie R v2.0 said:

Renumbering a loco to suit is one of the easiest jobs to do- it will give you the added satisfaction of doing something a bit unique to yourself. 

Which I might do depending on how I get on sorting out what I think is Heljan's screw up on 33063!

My main train of thought at the moment is to get the AS 37419 or 37425 and just say it's legit as it's a DRS 37/4 so likely to run with it in the future.

Well, Just..... Thank you to the RevolutioN team!!! 

One NSE example has been duly ordered for my Stewarts Lane project, having worked with this myself on one particular occasion to Amersham LUL with 33109, in May 1996, This model has been very much hoped for. 

I can confirm there were some disapproving comments made, not by me, when VSOE(?) sold this. A far better use of it would have been as an observation car on the back of the VSOE Pullmans, through wired to work with a 73 apparently! 

Thanks again, 

Best of luck with this, 

Shed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Which I might do depending on how I get on sorting out what I think is Heljan's screw up on 33063!

My main train of thought at the moment is to get the AS 37419 or 37425 and just say it's legit as it's a DRS 37/4 so likely to run with it in the future.

Accurascale's forthcoming 37409 is a current legit option to hook up with sweet Caroline, they were caught on a date at Lovers Lane in the photo below.

image.png.6f48fe253590d973b9394367a8b7b658.png

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3