RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Dungrange said:

A direct link to the page to order the 00 version

https://www.revolutiontrains.com/product/caroline-975025-inspection-saloon-oo-4mm/

I'm waiting for the turquoise green version to be announced as a new addition.

I’ve found the page and tried to order the current livery version but when I went  to pay the deposit, it kept sending me back to the first page for Caroline’s model.

Well done for doing this, was looking at doing a blue/grey one to go with my NSE MTK one. Hadn't noticed the blue/grey prototype had different size arrows when repainted. Found one pic with GMs under the number which must have been from long ago (no date). The livery diagram doesn't show the arrows very well, low  res drawing or something?

Don't forget us Southern Region modellers don't need a loco to push it around, we can use EMUs.

Cheers.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve found the page and tried to order the current livery version but when I went  to pay the deposit, it kept sending me back to the first page for Caroline’s model.

Hi Jools

Make sure you are logged in first is normally my first tip.  Second tip depends on what device/browser you are using, but normally involves suggesting you try a different browser or device if possible!

Cheers Mike

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, red death said:

Hi Jools

Make sure you are logged in first is normally my first tip.  Second tip depends on what device/browser you are using, but normally involves suggesting you try a different browser or device if possible!

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike,

I created an account and duly ordered.  Thanks for the help.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Really nice idea.

I may look to see if I can put a real camera in the camera window at the top.

Not sure if it is a headlight or camera. (It may have even have been changed from headlight to camera)

It is movable via the "periscope" control.

Pics from my collection dated 2010 - used with permission.

caz1.jpg.af984e17197dcbd3566b27c335d3cc54.jpg

caz2.jpg.d4e1332267515cd3edce4f913c8e3a95.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, newbryford said:

Not sure if it is a headlight or camera. (It may have even have been changed from headlight to camera)

Gosh whatever it is, the control mechanism is very Jules Verne !

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Gosh whatever it is, the control mechanism is very Jules Verne !

But rather let down by the formica wood effect in the background. Nemo would never approve.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, newbryford said:

It is a search light,  both ends have them but they haven't worked for a few years now not sure if it is just the bulbs but they don't get used. The high level headlights still work and have been used in tunnels 

• Informative/Useful 2

From 2005 to 2018 I used to be a fitter at the RTC Yard, Many times I’ve worked on this saloon either working on it doing exams or Mods 

As fitters we would try maintain this vehicle to a high standard as it was a bit of a pride of the fleet.

I will be getting one on these models. I would have like it to have been BR green with the original front end cabs But I will be getting the modified cab end with BR green.

Cant wait! 

• Like 3

Revolution trains...… just a thought, but you may well be missing out on an open goal here..... 

Is there any possibility of also doing Caroline in '0' gauge? I would have thought the average home made/based 0 gauge layout would be quite small, hence an 0 gauge Caroline would work beautifully with your 0 gauge DRS class 37/4????

I don't model 0 gauge, I was just thinking what you could pull in 0 gauge with a DRS 37/4, and Caroline seems to be the obvious answer?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

As we've said in the announcement - we don't know the O gauge market and we will see how this goes then decide whether we can offer any of our existing models in O.

Typical minimum runs for a limited edition like this are much lower than tooling something from scratch - this gives us a bit of information on the market.

Cheers Mike

Difficult choice for me. Blue/Grey fits in better with my mainly 80s stock (and can run with my very old Lima Broadlands with the Royal Train orange spot on the roof! Mind you that model is a large logo blue where as the photo is a plainish blue with grey roof) but that NSE livery is so gorgeous.....

• RMweb Gold

You can actually see that stabling point on the York Station Live webcam. The still image below is not exactly what the camera shows as there is a very good view of the stabling point from the live image. I have only ever seen locos in it. Usually 66s but it does vary and I have also seen 20s, 37s, 47s, 57s and 68s in the last year.

Edited by BR Blue
More information
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

You can actually see that stabling point on the York Station Live webcam. The still image below is not exactly what the camera shows as there is a very good view of the stabling point from the live image. I have only ever seen locos in it. Usually 66s but it does vary and I have also seen 20s, 37s, 47s, 57s and 68s in the last year.

What are you trying to say about my comment about Google maps? My photos of Caroline are taken in the Post office sidings infront of the new control centre, and it is visible quite frequently in there, It stays overnight and leaves very early usually. Those sidings are great for photographing the DRS fleet.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

2 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

The satellite view of York station presently on Google maps appears to show the roof of Caroline - apologies if it is not, but it is a common stabling point for her.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/York+Station/@53.9564482,-1.0962268,52m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4879310665704cc5:0x3675e4bf56b5974!8m2!3d53.957981!4d-1.093191

Paul

Clicking on the above link I see what appears to be a DRS Class 66 sitting beside a ZZA snow plough.  What is sitting there is clearer in '3D' setting, albeit the 3D rendering of the Class 66 is poor.  However, I note that if I click on the globe symbol in the bottom right, and disable 'globe view' I do indeed see a class 37 with a single coach sitting in the siding that the ZZA is sitting in in the 3D image.  I'm not sure if it is the same class 66 that's sitting beside it.  Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough to recognise coach roofs, so I'll take your word for it that it may be 'Caroline'. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

What are you trying to say about my comment about Google maps? My photos of Caroline are taken in the Post office sidings infront of the new control centre, and it is visible quite frequently in there, It stays overnight and leaves very early usually. Those sidings are great for photographing the DRS fleet.

Paul

I am just providing a live view of what I believe is the same location as the Google image. So if you cannot visit York you can still view the sidings. As I type the sidings are empty but there are 2 68s in the station that might be going there.

10 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

Clicking on the above link I see what appears to be a DRS Class 66 sitting beside a ZZA snow plough.  What is sitting there is clearer in '3D' setting, albeit the 3D rendering of the Class 66 is poor.  However, I note that if I click on the globe symbol in the bottom right, and disable 'globe view' I do indeed see a class 37 with a single coach sitting in the siding that the ZZA is sitting in in the 3D image.  I'm not sure if it is the same class 66 that's sitting beside it.  Unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough to recognise coach roofs, so I'll take your word for it that it may be 'Caroline'. 

The view I linked to isn't 3D and has a 66 on the line nearest the platform and a coach (Caroline??) plus 37 on the line nearest the control center. The coach would not have been visible from the platform, it would have been on the public webcam.

It is some years since York snowploughs were held in this location -https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/snowplough/e179fe0e8  they are now in other parts of the York complex. Which suggests the 3D image is old.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That is interesting - if I look at Paul’s link in my phone I get a different image to if I look on my laptop! On my laptop it showed a 66 and snowplough whereas the phone shows a 66 in one siding and a 37 + coach in the other. 

From the two circular vents off centre on the coach it definitely could be Caroline so I would be pretty sure that is the best guess!

cheers Mike 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, red death said:

That is interesting - if I look at Paul’s link in my phone I get a different image to if I look on my laptop! On my laptop it showed a 66 and snowplough whereas the phone shows a 66 in one siding and a 37 + coach in the other. 

Yes, it seems to vary with your browser settings.  As I said above, clicking on the link that @hmrspaul posted, takes me straight to the 3D image of a 66 and ZZA  (and I suspect that it may do the same for many others), but Google Chrome is my default browser.  However, if I cut and past the same URL into an older version of Microsoft Explorer, I get the image of a class 37 with a coach.  Same URL, but two different images.  However, it doesn't matter which browser I use, I can toggle between the 3D and aerial image using the Globe View button.  Obviously in Chrome it is enabled by default and in other browsers it's disabled by default.