RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Hello Rory,

Once you have ordered and paid something towards the model you’re in the draw, as you’re supporting its development.

Any outstanding balances will be requested by us once the models are ready to ship, which won’t be for a while yet as we need to go through the tooling, testing and and painting sampling stagesyet.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, newbryford said:

I thought that the 68s could only MU fully with another 68 or 88? (With some limitations such as the 68 cannot control the 88 pantograph and changeover from electric to diesel.

The usual multi connector an a 68 is the "comms" cable, plugged into the red sockets just below the cab window.

68025 88002 Crewe

Is there a pic showing the adapter cable from a 68 to blue star? (If not, then for the 68 top n tail set on Anglia and NwR use - is there a similar comms cable through the coaches?)

The Chiltern 68s (and 68008/009) are AAR fitted with limited functions as they can be controlled from a MK3 DVT, but cannot multi with a 66/67 AFAIIA.

The AAR socket is clearly visible on the buffer beam - to the left of the ETS connector. 

I believe the DRS system fitted to 37s is a modified blue start using s different pin arrangement and pug/socket and all it requires is an adapter to work with blue star- and hence Caroline - which is fitted with blue star control stands.

As for the top pic - just because both locos are "powering", it doesn't prove that they are in multi - for the pic of the 68/37/Caroline/37, it is likely that the rear 37 was providing ETS power to Caroline.

I have yet to see a 68 working in full multi with anything other than a 68/88 - but would love to find out otherwise.

68s and 88s will only work with each other an nothing else. If a 68 and 88 are working together they have to be driven from the 88 if that is in electric mode as there are no pan controls on the 68

• Informative/Useful 1

A £100 winning from Premium bonds to add to the funds so Accurscales Lord Hinton looks favourite, suppose it's better to have one named after a nuclear fuels engineer than one after a plane that if used as fully intended would no doubt have led to total annihilation.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ben,

Is Caroline being offered as DCC Fitted as well or DCC Ready only?

Something I just picked up from Revolutions #46 catch-up email and had seen the following being mentioned..."Flicker-free directional lighting, interior lighting solebar lighting and DCC options are being offered."...thus not sure how to interpret this description as DCC Fitted being an option offered or purely the fact you'll have DCC control if you choose to via a suitable decoder.

Cheers

Steve 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/07/2020 at 16:47, Ben A said:

Hello Rory,

Once you have ordered and paid something towards the model you’re in the draw, as you’re supporting its development.

Any outstanding balances will be requested by us once the models are ready to ship, which won’t be for a while yet as we need to go through the tooling, testing and and painting sampling stagesyet.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

I’ve ordered a “Caroline” and wondering when we’ll hear who’s the lucky ones to go on the trip?  Barring any Covid-19 issues that get in the way.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Hi Ben,

I’ve ordered a “Caroline” and wondering when we’ll hear who’s the lucky ones to go on the trip?  Barring any Covid-19 issues that get in the way.

It says when on the Caroline order pages......................

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

It says when on the Caroline order pages......................

I’ll have to take a peek but I’ve been asleep since I placed my order :P

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, classy52 said:

Is Caroline being offered as DCC Fitted as well or DCC Ready only?

Something I just picked up from Revolutions #46 catch-up email and had seen the following being mentioned..."Flicker-free directional lighting, interior lighting solebar lighting and DCC options are being offered."...thus not sure how to interpret this description as DCC Fitted being an option offered or purely the fact you'll have DCC control if you choose to via a suitable decoder.

No DCC ready only. Option suggests those features are optional - they're not, you get them whether you want them or not!

34 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

As Mick says it is on our website in the News section, our project overview page (and I think on the order page)! We'll have the draw after the early bird deadline of 31/8 and announce the winners shortly after.

Cheers Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Is there a cut off for the early bird price? Io see the cut off for N gauge expressions is tomorrow but couldn't see anything for 00 other than the end of August for the tour competition. 

Cheers

Yes, you can see any cut offs on our Project page: https://www.revolutiontrains.com/projects/

31/08 for early bird ie same as tour competition entry.

Cheers Mike

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was using WHSmiths as an umbrella today and read a fascinating article in this months Railway Modeller on Caroline, I did not appreciate it has had such a varied life and a continuing important role. I guess somebody has to be first over new points! 

Morning,

This is great news. I have placed my order this morning. I remember when Revolution started, it was exactly to fund and produce models such as this. I think some of their models could have been picked up by the mainstream manufacturers but this item is truly in the original 'RevolutioNary' concept.

Thanks Ben and Mike for proposing it and thanks to all the supporters - now is the time to put your money where your EOI is!

Cheers

Duncan 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Jack079 said:

Looks like N gauge Caroline in has recived enough support, order book is open.  https://www.revolutiontrains.com/product/caroline-975025-inspection-saloon-n-2mm/

I'm pleased that the model has reached the level of support that it required (even if it is not something that I will be purchasing), it's certainly unique and deserving. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I am also very happy to see the N gauge EoIs over the line, I'll certainly be converting mine to an order before the railtour draw deadline and probably adding a second before the early-bird deadline - funds permitting with a number of other commitments looming.

Regards, Gerry.

• Like 1