RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

One thing I noticed regarding DCC - the OO gauge description for Caroline clearly states “DCC socket”, whereas the N gauge description entirely omits any mention of DCC.... I’m presuming this is a simple error of omission from the description, rather than the N gauge version being DC only....?

Particularly in the case of the NR brunswick green variant, there is a plethora of front lights and it might be nice to have some DCC control over which of them are on at any time.... 

Regardless, it will make for an interesting train - personally I think I’ll run mine with the Farish Colas 37 but the wide selection of appropriate traction is a real bonus!

• RMweb Premium
On 23/08/2020 at 14:06, JR_P said:

Regardless, it will make for an interesting train - personally I think I’ll run mine with the Farish Colas 37 but the wide selection of appropriate traction is a real bonus!

That's what convinced me to order one yesterday having initially baulked at the price ....then I saw a photo of class 33 'Swordfish' in Frogonset Black livery hauling her and I thought '"you know what....it's actually quite a cheap 'complete' N gauge train !"

I did think about starting a new thread entitled 'Who's Pulled Caroline' ....but thought better of it. :rolleyes:

Edited by 03060
Basic spelling mistake spotted !
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, 03060 said:

it's actually quite a cheap 'complete' N gauge train

That's the thing. Like RHTT and nuclear flask wagons, they can be run on their own with a single loco (even if in most cases RHTT and flasks have 2 locos attached). So all in all it is still a cheap high quality prototypical train

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi pc,

Yes, it was the Southern Region General Manager’s saloon, though in practice it was shared between the management and the CE department.

It was used for entertaining ‘stakeholders’ - eg council officials, MPs, etc - and also used for examining the lines or assessing them for infrastructure projects such as electrification.

It was also used for odd one offs.  For example, taking the barristers involved in the Clapham Junction accident inquiry along the stretch of track involved so they could see what the driver could see in terms of signal sight lines etc,

Traction in SR days was usually 73s or 33s, but Caroline could also be put on the front of a VEP or CEP and used to drive it...there’s more detail about this in my article about the saloon’s history on RM this month.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hi pc,

Yes, it was the Southern Region General Manager’s saloon, though in practice it was shared between the management and the CE department.

It was used for entertaining ‘stakeholders’ - eg council officials, MPs, etc - and also used for examining the lines or assessing them for infrastructure projects such as electrification.

It was also used for odd one offs.  For example, taking the barristers involved in the Clapham Junction accident inquiry along the stretch of track involved so they could see what the driver could see in terms of signal sight lines etc,

Traction in SR days was usually 73s or 33s, but Caroline could also be put on the front of a VEP or CEP and used to drive it...there’s more detail about this in my article about the saloon’s history on RM this month.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben 

Its still more or less used in the same way today

The CE department uses it for track inspection where someone from the higher management positions sits upfront and questions the local manager about his patch. Sometimes its like listening to a school kid who hasn't done his homework!

Its also been used for council and other interested parties for proposed projects.

I took it round lines in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire about five years ago for a proposed extension to the Robin Hood line which obviously hasn't happened yet.

As stated earlier in this thread normal traction is a 37/4 but we've had ETH 47s on it and its been hauled by a 68 but I can't control those. It still could have a 33 or 31/4 but unlikely now

Not sure if I've mentioned it on here before but it almost got on a passenger train about 2012. We were running top and tailed airshow specials for lowestoft airshow we had 37s on one end a full intercity set and a 47 on the other. 

The 37 I had developed a DSD fault so we were going to put the saloon on the front to bury the fault but we sorted it .

We were quite worried about doing it as the local Anglia or whatever they were called then were worried about the trains filling with enthusiasts instead of airshow people that would have filled the enthusiasts im sure

Cheers 

Russ 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Just ordered mine as I remembered the deadline for early for the early bird price and the draw for the trip is coming up at the end of the month. My second RevolutioN order as I have some IWAs on order too :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This item was never on any of my wish lists, but it ticks so many boxes. Worked in the south, suitable for a plank layout, can be used in push/pull mode, worked in the the 80s and 90s, DCC lighting options....... So in the end it is such a useful RTR item to have for me.

I was then stuck over colour choices, either blue/grey or NSE. Blue/grey would allow for a royal train, but the Broadlands class 73 I have is an old lima, hardly suitable to run with something so state of the art. However I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Caroline ran in NSE colours with the Herefordshire Rail Tours class 33/1, that loco was recently released by the NRM. And as this loco has push-pull gear, it makes for a natural partner for Caroline.

So in with my order today for the NSE version.

• Like 2

Placed my order for the n gauge version in green last night, another model that I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of just need to decide what locomotive power to propel it DRS or Colas tractor. 

• Like 2

On 25/08/2020 at 10:59, russ p said:

Hi Ben 

The CE department uses it for track inspection where someone from the higher management positions sits upfront and questions the local manager about his patch. Sometimes its like listening to a school kid who hasn't done his homework!

Its also been used for council and other interested parties for proposed projects.

I took it round lines in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire about five years ago for a proposed extension to the Robin Hood line which obviously hasn't happened yet.

As stated earlier in this thread normal traction is a 37/4 but we've had ETH 47s on it and its been hauled by a 68 but I can't control those. It still could have a 33 or 31/4 but unlikely now

Not sure if I've mentioned it on here before but it almost got on a passenger train about 2012. We were running top and tailed airshow specials for lowestoft airshow we had 37s on one end a full intercity set and a 47 on the other. 

The 37 I had developed a DSD fault so we were going to put the saloon on the front to bury the fault but we sorted it .

We were quite worried about doing it as the local Anglia or whatever they were called then were worried about the trains filling with enthusiasts instead of airshow people that would have filled the enthusiasts im sure

Cheers 

Russ 

I worked on this coach from time to time from September 2005 until January 2018. After her overhaul she was fitted with standard 27 way Multiple working (Blue Star) all of the EP Braking was remove and the 36 way (Southern region multiple working also removed, as long there is a locomotive is fitted with blue star multiple working it will work with Caroline. As for the 47s they have green circle multi working but can be easily converted with a blue star/green circle jumper. The locomotive must have ETH/ETS to provide axillary power which converted by an MG. So 31/4, 33 & 33/1 33/2 37/4, 47/7/8 

Edited by rorz101uk
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 09/06/2020 at 13:49, Geep7 said:

Just one query, has there been a decision made on what decoder socket will be in it? I'm assuming at least 21-pin.

I can't see an answer to this question posted earlier.  Are there any details yet on what DCC Decoder interface will be fitted?  The website just says "DCC socket for lighting control".

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

I can't see an answer to this question posted earlier.  Are there any details yet on what DCC Decoder interface will be fitted?  The website just says "DCC socket for lighting control".

I'm guessing undecided as yet, but thinking about the number of lighting outputs, then maybe a Plux22?

Hi All, 

I too worked with this saloon in its NSE days.

Maybe of interest for any LUL modellers, I was on the trip that took it to Chesham LUL via Neasden(?) on 18th May 1996, with 33 109, 'Captain Bill Smith RNR'.

We relieved it at Acton Mainline then went via Acton Wells, before joining the LUL at Neasden. We did a run round at a station during the journey and I remember going into Chesham with the loco leading. Then we changed direction and headed back to Marylebone. 

I understand this was to do with Crossrail planning but kept out of the way during the day so don't really have any more details. I do remember the LUL staff boarding though, with their version of a track circuit operating clip, which were ever so slightly more cumbersome than the BR version. 

Finally, I do know for a fact that Video as well as still images exist of this trip but I wouldn't know where to find them now. 

Cheers, 

Shed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dungrange said:

It was reported in the magazines in Smiths as 21 pin at the time of launch...

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

During the 1969-1984 period when Caroline was in Blue/Grey, did she work with just SR EMUs and locos with push/pull equipment? I was toying with the idea of running a B/G one in the West Country with a Class 22 or Class 25 circa 1970-72, but I'm guessing that this would be highly unlikely or even possible.

For down that way around that period the most likely vehicle you'sd get would be one of the late GWR design inspection saloons. This picture is after preservation but some of these were still in BR(WR) choc/cream in the early 1970s; I remember seeing one at Slough circa 1973. From memory I think it had yellow panels on the ends, but was otherwise still as repainted circa 1956-61.

Edited by BernardTPM

• 3 months later...
On 25/08/2020 at 10:59, russ p said:

Hi Ben 

Cheers 

Russ 

Wasn't it also used, together with the appropriately named Class 73, to take the Prince and Princess of Wales to Broadlands after their wedding? (CJL)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, dibber25 said:

Wasn't it also used, together with the appropriately named Class 73, to take the Prince and Princess of Wales to Broadlands after their wedding? (CJL)

Hi Chris,

Yes, indeed.  There is a photo of the wedding train on the Revolution news page article unveiling the proposed model back in Spring.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, dibber25 said:

It certainly was , not sure  how Diana would have found the loo if she had the need to take a dump as its not the most pleasant of loos!

I forget at the moment I think its had other high profile passengers over the years

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2