RevolutioN Trains announce "Caroline" Inspection Car in OO gauge and EOI for one in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Ben A said:

Hello all,

We deleted the estimated delivery date as it was, err, out of date.   So yes, the projects page is the best way to see the latest news.

For clarity, and to manage expectations, EP1 samples are undecorated.  They are to check fit of parts, running, and to highlight any assembly issues or other areas that we may need to improve.  Once EP samples are approved we move to the next stage of receiving decorated samples.

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben, sorry, I forgot that there would need to be the first EP samples before we get a decorated one.

I'm happy for the wait. It's sure to be a stonkingly good model, so to have to wait a few months more will just make it all the better. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Specifically about the whether the Projects link is intuitive or not I think is quite subjective (a lot of websites have similar menu structures where a heading has a direct link and a set of subheadings from a drop down), however for those people signed up to receive our newsletters we include a reminder in every newsletter that the Project summary has all the latest information. 

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Ben A said:

Hello all,

We deleted the estimated delivery date as it was, err, out of date.   So yes, the projects page is the best way to see the latest news.

For clarity, and to manage expectations, EP1 samples are undecorated.  They are to check fit of parts, running, and to highlight any assembly issues or other areas that we may need to improve.  Once EP samples are approved we move to the next stage of receiving decorated samples.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

The page for ordering Caroline still quotes Q1-2 which I am guessing is "optimistic" at best given the stage you are at. You may wish to amend that one as well.

Cheers,

Roy

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, red death said:

Specifically about the whether the Projects link is intuitive or not I think is quite subjective (a lot of websites have similar menu structures where a heading has a direct link and a set of subheadings from a drop down), however for those people signed up to receive our newsletters we include a reminder in every newsletter that the Project summary has all the latest information. 

Hi Mike,

I think the issue is that by offering a drop-down it appears that is your choices - it confused me as it did David. It is not helped by the fact that the "Information" option also has a drop-down that does nothing when you click on the heading so if you go there first you assume Projects does nothing.

Personally, I would have thought a "Project Status Page" option on the drop-down would be a real help.

Best regards,

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Bad typing...
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, red death said:

You do indeed, and that states "... but all the latest information on each of our projects is on our website - just click on Projects."  Therefore the instruction to 'click' on projects (as opposed to looking in a drop down list) is explicit.  However, I still think the same way as @Roy Langridge that when presented with a drop down list, that's where I expect to find the project summary - ie I assume that by 'click' you mean 'go to'.  Perhaps I'm just not as smart as some people.

There may well be lots of other websites with direct links (accessed by clicking) in addition to a set of subheadings from a drop down.  The problem is, that I'm probably missing access to information on those sites as well, by not looking beyond the drop down list.

• RMweb Gold

I think a lot of projects are running behind because of world events, you just have to look at Phil Sutton's Class 24's, Accurascale's Class 37's and 55's as well as other modelling companies, not just railway.  Am I bothered, not in the slightest, because as someone quoted "rather be late and right than as advertised and wrong".

Edited by jools1959
Typo
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I think a lot of projects are running behind because of world events, you just have to look at Phil Sutton's Class 24's, Accurascale's Class 37's and 55's as well as other modelling companies, not just railway.  Am I bothered, not in the slightest, because as someone quoted "rather be right and late".

I don't think anybody has said they are bothered at all. I have over £3K invested in various pre-orders that are either paid for in part or in full. I have another £2K of pre-orders that have not a penny paid for. Either way, they all arrive when they do.

Roy

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Caroline does not feature under any of those headings. As I said, I did not realise that clicking on the "Projects" title took you do a different page for quite a while. I was therefore unaware it had entered tooling when that page was first updated for quite some time. Other may also be similarly confused.

Roy

Ahhhhh! Light dawns. That resolves a long-standing puzzle as to why links work but the website seems not to.

Unconfused. Thank you.

• RMweb Gold

I’m really not sure what the confusion is - the menu headings are links and the drop down arrows are sub-headings/more links. It isn’t just the Project page the rest of the website (and many millions of other websites!) work in exactly the same manner!

cheers Mike

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, red death said:

I’m really not sure what the confusion is - the menu headings are links and the drop down arrows are sub-headings/more links. It isn’t just the Project page the rest of the website (and many millions of other websites!) work in exactly the same manner!

cheers Mike

Mike,

With respect, I am only giving feedback on the issue I found and others have suggested they too had the same issue. I consider myself quite computer literate and design and build our company websites, but this one caught me out.

I just spent a few minutes looking at the websites I use most often. Only one has a similar merge of a menu option and drop down and it has one very key different, the menu topic underlines when you hover over it, indicating that it is a link. I think that is issue I have, hover over Information and Projects on your website, the look is identical, but one is a link, one not. User's should not have to find things by trial and error.

Roy

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, red death said:

cheers Mike

I have to agree that your website, while improving, is not intuitive in some areas compared to some; that fact that it's as bad as many other websites is not 100% relavent

An example if I do a search for '321' from your home page it comes up blank and if you click on the class 321 link on the homepage it takes me to the IPA carrier.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Bomag said:

I have to agree that your website, while improving, is not intuitive in some areas compared to some; that fact that it's as bad as many other websites is not 100% relavent

An example if I do a search for '321' from your home page it comes up blank and if you click on the class 321 link on the homepage it takes me to the IPA carrier.

Indeed. There is tucked away on the site this page which is, to my mind, a good project page for Caroline: Caroline

It does not appear in any search and I have found no way of navigating to it from the site menu options. The only way I found it was from a link in the July 2020 newsletter, which again, although it covers Caroline does not appear in any search results.

Mike / Ben - you are doing great things* and I am really looking forward to Caroline arriving, but please take these comments as they intended, constructive criticism on how we think things could be better still and, just maybe, lead to more sales.

Would be even better with a 321 in 00 ;)

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Thanks for the comments on the website.  They are duly noted.

Moving the focus back to Caroline: I am anticipating the EP1 samples in the next fortnight; earlier estimates had been that they'd be here before the end of April but unfortunately the ongoing shortages of certain semiconductors (see here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56847518) meant we have had to wait a little longer for PCBs to be ready. 

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Good Morning,

I think it’s safe to say this General Manager’s Saloon is going to be an amazing model, whichever version you’re running!

We’re waiting with baited breath down here at ‘The Lane’ to get started on some crew training, this being where she lived right up until moving away and becoming ‘Caroline’...

440B315A-3AC7-42C3-A84A-54DBDAFA7248.jpeg.fdc20f93417280295c436a68dcedb25e.jpeg

0937FA65-C7A1-468B-981F-E4D745592458.jpeg.962b68f099aef2c27951ec7772d8b16c.jpeg
Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

12 hours ago, newbryford said:

I did a search for 321 and all I got was this.....

bin.jpg.f6e23d1d20b1d681c15efd208465bdfb.jpg

For my 321st post..................

I just tried to do the fingers trick, cannot post I may offend due to looking rude!  lol   :victory:

Very much looking forward to Caroline when She get here, I am sure we will all be singing 'Sweet Caroline'!     :shout:

Edited by Opelsi
Dusty Bin
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Old Stevenage station - used to spot there as a kid before the industrial warehouse units went up. Found a handful of GNR goods labels in the old goods shed.

Anyway, I digress...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Ian Fisher said:

looking like its going to be a top top model.

I really really don't need another NR/test train, already having a PLPR train, NMT, MPV and RHTT along with several rakes of yellow wagons, but I am really glad I have one on order!

• Like 3

Just now, TomScrut said:

I really really don't need another NR/test train, already having a PLPR train, NMT, MPV and RHTT along with several rakes of yellow wagons, but I am really glad I have one on order!

ditto... 

I had a very privileged but brief opportunity two years ago of working in Loram.  

Caroline was a favorite..

• Like 1