RevolutioN Trains announce JNA/MMA EALNOS in N gauge

MGR Hooper!

RevolutioN Trains announce JNA/MMA EALNOS in N gauge

In response to customer demand, Revolution Trains has decided to downsize its well-received MMA/JNA “Ealnos” hoppers from OO to N.

image.png.f8f50f8cc6e215cbfb7e6fcad73135ac.png

Revolution HOAs – about to get blown up!

Similarly, the N Ealnos model is likely to be offered in DB Red, Ermewa/Tarmac grey, VTG Blue, GBRf blue and VTG/Mendip Rail silver, however since the 00 model was produced more versions have appeared, including dark red Touax and mid-blue VTG and Cappagh branded versions; and it may be these are offered instead of some of the previous versions.

image.png.f8eeba283bf6218f30bfae47e0875ecb.png

Touax JNA at Westbury. Photo courtesy Jo Alder.

image.png.a4f1f49dafe43e7736befa8998a9188f.png

VTG JNA at Westbury in new mid-blue livery. Some wagons in this colour carry large “Cappagh” branding. Photo courtesy Jo Alder.

Once CAD work is completed on both these models and we are ready to begin tooling we will be opening the order books. As ever there will be a “best value” earlybird price to encourage early orders and help us progress these projects speedily.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

Something that may be of interest to others, I've knocked together a small table giving some sample formations of Mendip workings that mix boxes and hoppers. By no means is this conclusive, but it gives a taste of how you can mix boxes and hoppers. It also shows that we really need some other wagon types to run mixed with the Revolution HOA and JNAs  I've included the portion sizes, as it shows that you don't need a massive 40 wagon train to be prototypical, once the train gets to London it splits in to 2 or 3 bits, the smallest portion being 10 wagons. Equally, the Fareham, Botley and Woking are all smaller trains.

MendipJumboFormations.jpg.36b7c0bb9bbf3a23ad74189c56aa477b.jpg

Jo

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jo,

Thanks for that - very useful.

I take your point about the variety of wagons used by Mendip Rail.

Off the top of my head trying to list them:

Hoppers:

O&K ex-Yeoman JYA

Procor ex-ARC JHA

VTG HOA

Boxes

O&K 

ex-CAIB JNA

VTG JNA “Ealnos”

Are there others?  I guess they no longer use the PGAs?  Do they still use the JUA/JTA ex tipplers?

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1

Hi @Ben A and @red death

The PGAs are long gone, I believe they were replaced on London area sand workings around 2008 by some VTG owned IIAs. They don't normally get down to the quarries.

JTA/JUA tipplers replaced early 2000s by the NACCO/ Caib 39xx boxes I believe.

Currently running there are:

Hoppers:

O&K Yeoman JHA (one design, inners and outers, still pretty much as built). I know Dapol intended to, but who knows now!

Merehead only

ARC Hanson JHAs (3 designs, prototype 17901 (outer), main batch Powell Duffryn built (inner and outers), Procor add on batch (inners only)

Whatley only (also load at Avonmouth, Stud Farm and Machen)

NACCO IIA hoppers (mid grey livery, just over 10 years old)

Both quarries

HOA (per your model)

Both quarries

HOA (looks very similar to an unpainted NACCO IIA, new in 2019, VTG branding). I think the new Touax hoppers are the same design.

Whatley only (thus far)

Boxes:

O&K Yeoman JYA (one design, inners and outers, still pretty much as built. Only variation is bolt on branding boards).

Both quarries

NACCO / Caib (later VTG) Marcroft built 39xx JNAs (one body design, inners and outers, variations in brake equipment between NACCO and VTG wagons)

Both quarries

Ealnos VTG / Touax JNA (per your model, brake equipment differences between VTG and Touax)

Both quarries

VTG ex Railtrack 34xx JNA (one common body, variations in doors and brakes/ bogies)

Both quarries, mostly Merehead though. Possibly displaced by Touax type.

VTG owned 31xx / 32xx KEAs. (one general body design, variation in brakes, bogies and wagon ends. Mix of inner, outer and singles. Most ex TML channel tunnel construction, few ex Yeoman)

Whatley (and Tytherington) predominantly, very occasional Merehead.

Wow, that was longer than I expected!

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I believe the VTG grey tipplers lasted to at least 2015 in the London area Mike, but that's a Brett flow rather than Mendip. MBAs then Ealnos JNAs appear to have taken over on the Brett traffic. The JTA and JUAs on Mendip traffic definitely finished before I started taking photos!

At a quick glance, 2005 is the latest photo I can find of a tippler in Mendip service, which may well coincide with the green JNAs coming down for a bit, that or MBAs which came and went from Mendip work many times.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Hi @Ben A and @red death

The PGAs are long gone, I believe they were replaced on London area sand workings around 2008 by some VTG owned IIAs. They don't normally get down to the quarries.

Jo

I don't know whether it'd be classed as a London area sand working, but I have a picture from 2014 of 66148 working 6B35 Acton to Moreton-on-Lugg. The train was all VTG branded PGA's.

66148 - Moreton Cutting

Andy.

Edited by SWT442
Add picture
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There's a new traffic using the VTG blue boxes, empties ran yesterday and the first loaded train ran today. The train loads at Tytherington and takes stone to Cricklewood in London.

The first one

The photo is linked to my Flickr which has a caption on it detailing a bit more, a bit tricky to copy it all across, posting this on my phone. 

It's 66044 on 6Z31 Westbury - Tytherington.

Jo

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Great news that these are available to order.

More Tytherington action - we're now regularly running a set of the blue ones for Mendip Rail / Hanson between there and Calvert with stone for HS2. Seen here at Westbury last night in the rain.

66041 6Z32 Westbury

DCR generally run solid sets of the blue ones, but the first time the new wagons came to Westbury there were a few silver ones mixed in too. Late 2019.

60055 Westbury 6Z90

In 2020 it was a solid set of the blue ones, which have also been seen behind the 56s.

Shut down waiting for the night shift

The Avonmouth flow (with stone for Hinkley Point) is a set of 21 of the Mendip livery boxes. 

60039 6C68 Bradford Jn.

59202 on the last week of DB having the Mendip contract.

59202 6C68 Horfield

2020, Freightliner have taken over.

66524 6C68 Saltford

All the pics are linked to Flickr which has more detail on the captions.

Jo

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

"Nothing for me" he said after this week's update. "Phew" said the bank balance. But it did give me the kick up the bum to remember to order my JNAs! :D

As an aside, the DB MMAs have started running in the south west. There's a set of them on the Tytherington - Calvert flow alongside the two VTG blue sets. They run to Tytherington from London direct, as well as via layovers at Westbury. I believe this is the first time the MMAs have come over this way.

Jo

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Just spotted Revolutions email as well. Got my order in.

Been watching a channel on Youtube called Ashville. He has an building and aggregate company near Heathrow and gets several trains a week loaded with aggregates from the midlands.

Here's last weeks edition with some shots of GBRf 66742 and a lot of JNAs arriving. Look like Revolutions VTG Silver and the GBRf dark Blue with and without the leasing stickers.

This is the delivery last Wednesday,

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H03156/2021-03-24/detailed#allox_id=0

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

31st May, we had at least 45 of the VTG dark blue boxes at Westbury. They are currently employed on the Tytherington - Calvert trains, conveying aggregate for HS2 construction.

The pictures show one of the two trains we had over the bank holiday weekend, plus a cripple stood aside that had been knocked out of the set.

IMG_20210531_111728-227.jpg.da2974deb0fa71da217940f5b27d85ac.jpg

IMG_20210531_120431_1-228.jpg.938abaa0b48e7daf2eaab093e4f3b03f.jpg

To give some idea how these sets get used by DB, in the time I've been dealing with them the VTG blue sets have worked Burngullow - Bow, Bristol East Depot - Banbury, and Tytherington - Calvert (all Westbury based) plus a period in the Peak District, so plenty of excuses for people modelling the last couple of years to stock up on blue ones!

Edit just to clarify, that's one set has done all that, it wasn't all at the same time! Certain wagons have distinctive graffiti and are easy to trace

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1