RevolutioN Trains announce JNA/MMA EALNOS in N gauge

Posted (edited)

RevolutioN Trains announce JNA/MMA EALNOS in N gauge

In response to customer demand, Revolution Trains has decided to downsize its well-received MMA/JNA “Ealnos” hoppers from OO to N.

image.png.f8f50f8cc6e215cbfb7e6fcad73135ac.png

Revolution HOAs – about to get blown up!

Similarly, the N Ealnos model is likely to be offered in DB Red, Ermewa/Tarmac grey, VTG Blue, GBRf blue and VTG/Mendip Rail silver, however since the 00 model was produced more versions have appeared, including dark red Touax and mid-blue VTG and Cappagh branded versions; and it may be these are offered instead of some of the previous versions.

image.png.f8eeba283bf6218f30bfae47e0875ecb.png

Touax JNA at Westbury. Photo courtesy Jo Alder.

image.png.a4f1f49dafe43e7736befa8998a9188f.png

VTG JNA at Westbury in new mid-blue livery. Some wagons in this colour carry large “Cappagh” branding. Photo courtesy Jo Alder.

Once CAD work is completed on both these models and we are ready to begin tooling we will be opening the order books. As ever there will be a “best value” earlybird price to encourage early orders and help us progress these projects speedily.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

Something that may be of interest to others, I've knocked together a small table giving some sample formations of Mendip workings that mix boxes and hoppers. By no means is this conclusive, but it gives a taste of how you can mix boxes and hoppers. It also shows that we really need some other wagon types to run mixed with the Revolution HOA and JNAs  I've included the portion sizes, as it shows that you don't need a massive 40 wagon train to be prototypical, once the train gets to London it splits in to 2 or 3 bits, the smallest portion being 10 wagons. Equally, the Fareham, Botley and Woking are all smaller trains.

MendipJumboFormations.jpg.36b7c0bb9bbf3a23ad74189c56aa477b.jpg

Jo

• Informative/Useful 2
Posted (edited)

Hi Jo,

Thanks for that - very useful.

I take your point about the variety of wagons used by Mendip Rail.

Off the top of my head trying to list them:

Hoppers:

O&K ex-Yeoman JYA

Procor ex-ARC JHA

VTG HOA

Boxes

O&K 

ex-CAIB JNA

VTG JNA “Ealnos”

Are there others?  I guess they no longer use the PGAs?  Do they still use the JUA/JTA ex tipplers?

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Hi @Ben A and @red death

The PGAs are long gone, I believe they were replaced on London area sand workings around 2008 by some VTG owned IIAs. They don't normally get down to the quarries.

JTA/JUA tipplers replaced early 2000s by the NACCO/ Caib 39xx boxes I believe.

Currently running there are:

Hoppers:

O&K Yeoman JHA (one design, inners and outers, still pretty much as built). I know Dapol intended to, but who knows now!

Merehead only

ARC Hanson JHAs (3 designs, prototype 17901 (outer), main batch Powell Duffryn built (inner and outers), Procor add on batch (inners only)

Whatley only (also load at Avonmouth, Stud Farm and Machen)

NACCO IIA hoppers (mid grey livery, just over 10 years old)

Both quarries

HOA (per your model)

Both quarries

HOA (looks very similar to an unpainted NACCO IIA, new in 2019, VTG branding). I think the new Touax hoppers are the same design.

Whatley only (thus far)

Boxes:

O&K Yeoman JYA (one design, inners and outers, still pretty much as built. Only variation is bolt on branding boards).

Both quarries

NACCO / Caib (later VTG) Marcroft built 39xx JNAs (one body design, inners and outers, variations in brake equipment between NACCO and VTG wagons)

Both quarries

Ealnos VTG / Touax JNA (per your model, brake equipment differences between VTG and Touax)

Both quarries

VTG ex Railtrack 34xx JNA (one common body, variations in doors and brakes/ bogies)

Both quarries, mostly Merehead though. Possibly displaced by Touax type.

VTG owned 31xx / 32xx KEAs. (one general body design, variation in brakes, bogies and wagon ends. Mix of inner, outer and singles. Most ex TML channel tunnel construction, few ex Yeoman)

Whatley (and Tytherington) predominantly, very occasional Merehead.

Wow, that was longer than I expected!

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
Posted (edited)

I believe the VTG grey tipplers lasted to at least 2015 in the London area Mike, but that's a Brett flow rather than Mendip. MBAs then Ealnos JNAs appear to have taken over on the Brett traffic. The JTA and JUAs on Mendip traffic definitely finished before I started taking photos!

At a quick glance, 2005 is the latest photo I can find of a tippler in Mendip service, which may well coincide with the green JNAs coming down for a bit, that or MBAs which came and went from Mendip work many times.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1

the last time i saw a JUA was at Tonbridge at the end of October 2016 on a Brett sand train 

John 

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Hi @Ben A and @red death

The PGAs are long gone, I believe they were replaced on London area sand workings around 2008 by some VTG owned IIAs. They don't normally get down to the quarries.

Jo

I don't know whether it'd be classed as a London area sand working, but I have a picture from 2014 of 66148 working 6B35 Acton to Moreton-on-Lugg. The train was all VTG branded PGA's.

66148 - Moreton Cutting

Andy.

Edited by SWT442
Add picture
  • Like 1

Realistic and modelable train here.

59 plus 10 x TOUAX JNA taken lunchtime today

Hitchin - Acton empties2133532172_Image01-06-2020at15_31.jpg.aede5e2430ff4f93852c96dbb84d428f.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

World of Railways has confirmed that the CADs for these wagons have been approved. So dust off your credit cards as they could soon get some use. (I wonder if they will beat the 128s)

cheers,

Ged.

• Like 1