RevolutioN Trains announce HOA in OO gauge

MGR Hooper!

RevolutioN Trains announce HOA in OO gauge. Announced due to the number of requests.

In response to customer demand, Revolution Trains has decided to upscale its popular HOA hoppers from N to OO.

6A14B39B-34F0-4E1C-B719-578ECB222495-102

Revolution HOAs – about to get blown up!

The CAD for the OO HOA is almost done while shrinking the 4mm box wagon down to N is not quite completed yet.
C5499622-DBB0-4EE9-A7C5-A618E9E331B9.jpe

Preliminary CAD for OO HOA.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1

A good announcement IMO.

I like these, my dilemma is that I only have one loco suitable for them at the moment, a DB 60 which I don't run very often as my particular specimen has some annoying behaviours. Everything else I have is GBRF or FL!

So my dilemma would be (if I choose to get some, might get the Ecofrets instead) to go for DB/Tarmac with the idea of running with my 60 or a DB 66 I don't have yet, or get the Mendip ones and hope Dapol does a suitable 59, which I'd prefer I think.

5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Aaah right has that changed since the Revolution N gauge info came out as it doesn't mention that?

https://www.revolutiontrains.com/hoa-aggregates-hopper-wagon/

aye, FL took over the contract in November 2019. FL also own ass 59s except 59003.

I have some MRL JNA's by Revolution and currently buidling four JNAs by S-kits. I also have five JYA's from S kits that I have built. plus eight Dapol FY JHA's on order, the HOAs will suplement them well

• Thanks 1

Just now, daz9284 said:

aye, FL took over the contract in November 2019. FL also own ass 59s except 59003.

I have some MRL JNA's by Revolution and currently buidling four JNAs by S-kits. I also have five JYA's from S kits that I have built. plus eight Dapol FY JHA's on order, the HOAs will suplement them well

That's good to know, as I think I prefer the Mendip livery anyway. Either that or the tarmac but I already have a Tarmac JNA so Mendip would mix it up at bit too!

Something that may be of interest to others, I've knocked together a small table giving some sample formations of Mendip workings that mix boxes and hoppers. By no means is this conclusive, but it gives a taste of how you can mix boxes and hoppers. It also shows that we really need some other wagon types to run mixed with the Revolution HOA and JNAs :D I've included the portion sizes, as it shows that you don't need a massive 40 wagon train to be prototypical, once the train gets to London it splits in to 2 or 3 bits, the smallest portion being 10 wagons. Equally, the Fareham, Botley and Woking are all smaller trains.

MendipJumboFormations.jpg.36b7c0bb9bbf3a23ad74189c56aa477b.jpg

Jo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Aaah right has that changed since the Revolution N gauge info came out as it doesn't mention that?

https://www.revolutiontrains.com/hoa-aggregates-hopper-wagon/

Hi there,

Yes, modern freight contracts and operations are switching all the time.  I find a flickr search is often a good way of seeing what’s running with what.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ben A said:

Hi there,

Yes, modern freight contracts and operations are switching all the time.  I find a flickr search is often a good way of seeing what’s running with what.

cheers

Ben A.

I tend to do that, but FL 66 pics are uncommon as it's almost always 59s or DB. But I did find some!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

So we have wagons to suit the Cemex 66 Hattons are releasing,will look good,

the mendip ones will be good as anything goes in the rakes on the stone now,most are a jumble.

Suit in colour scheme but not in prototype train terms unfortunately. I have Cemex express in order and I was disappointed to learn they don't run with it.

The Cemex branded wagons GBRF pull are HYAs which to me look of a very similar construction but the ends are more upright like a HTA.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The HYAs on aggregates that look similar are often cut down coal wagons (former HYA or IIA).

The Cemex liveried 66 is owned by GBRf (rather than Cemex) so will pull whatever GBRf need it to - there are quite a few pictures of it pulling our EALNOS wagons eg:

Or even better DB EALNOS wagons! 

GBRF CEMEX 66780

Or for even the Greenergy TEA tanks that we did: 

For the HOAs there is plenty of alternatives for traction as long as you like 59/60/66s! Some ideas here (though out of date with the changes to Mendip Rail): http://www.revolutiontrains.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/HOA-sample-consists.pdf

Cheers Mike

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, red death said:

our EALNOS wagons

Greenergy TEA

I have a rake of Greenergy TEAs I use with one of my GBRF 66s. Also some Dapol MJAs with one of your JNA-Ts on the end.

HYAs on aggregates

Yeah they are chopped down coal hoppers, but I don't think they have been reclassified other than been nicknamed "shorty" HYAs I don't think? A contrast to the chopped down HTAs which are called HRAs.

12 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Something that may be of interest to others, I've knocked together a small table giving some sample formations of Mendip workings that mix boxes and hoppers. By no means is this conclusive, but it gives a taste of how you can mix boxes and hoppers. It also shows that we really need some other wagon types to run mixed with the Revolution HOA and JNAs :D I've included the portion sizes, as it shows that you don't need a massive 40 wagon train to be prototypical, once the train gets to London it splits in to 2 or 3 bits, the smallest portion being 10 wagons. Equally, the Fareham, Botley and Woking are all smaller trains.

MendipJumboFormations.jpg.36b7c0bb9bbf3a23ad74189c56aa477b.jpg

Jo

Thanks for doing that table Jo, very useful!

I can't say I've seen either the Woking and Fareham trains have anything other than box wagons, as I believe they're unloaded by mechanical grab.

The Botley and Eastleigh workings seem to have had the HOA's on though. The trains always seem to be mainly O&K JHA's, with both HOA & IIA mixed in in recent years.

(Not mine)

[7O40] 59205

59205 - Mottisfont & Dunbridge

Searching for the headcodes (7O40 for Eastleigh & 7O44 for Botley) on Flickr yield results that show mixed trains.

Andy.

Edited by SWT442
Add extra info
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SWT442 said:

I can't say I've seen either the Woking and Fareham trains have anything other than box wagons, as I believe they're unloaded by mechanical grab.

Yep that's correct, boxes to both.

Another headcode for Eastleigh is 7O43. O43 and O44 alternate as required (both 21.12 off Westbury, 7V98 and V97 return respectively ), 7O40 and 7V33 return empties is an additional afternoon run, usually runs Fridays 

Jo

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, red death said:

Not too long - the CAD is in progress to make it work for OO.

my bank card is waiting for the order books to open. will suplement my Revolution MRL JNA's, modified s-kits MRL JNAS, s-kits JYAs and Dapol FY JHA's. Just need someone to make the MRL IIA's/HOA's.

3 minutes ago, daz9284 said:

my bank card is waiting for the order books to open. will suplement my Revolution MRL JNA's, modified s-kits MRL JNAS, s-kits JYAs and Dapol FY JHA's. Just need someone to make the MRL IIA's/HOA's.

In fairness I still don't know which ones to get. Mendip or Ermewa/Tarmac. I have a FL 66 and I intend on getting a DB 60. Both feasible if not the norm for these wagons.

4 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

In fairness I still don't know which ones to get. Mendip or Ermewa/Tarmac. I have a FL 66 and I intend on getting a DB 60. Both feasible if not the norm for these wagons.

I maybe wrong, but i don't think FL have hauled any Tarmac HOAs, and I can't remember seeing any pictures of DB 60 on the Mendip ones. but at the end of the day it's your layout :-)

18 minutes ago, daz9284 said:

I can't remember seeing any pictures of DB 60 on the Mendip ones.

Morning!

60s have worked with the Mendip ones, right up the end of DB having the contract. Usually mixed in with other types, but there were some block sets in the early days of them (2016 ish). Here's a post I made in the N scale thread, from 2016 so "current" is 4 years ago.

Heres a pic of a 60 in 2016 on 19 hoppers (12 HOA, 7 IIA) going to Bassett from that post, 2 weeks later a 59 took 19 HOAs.

20161007-IMG_7296-60091-6B12.jpg

Hope this helps

Jo

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, daz9284 said:

I maybe wrong, but i don't think FL have hauled any Tarmac HOAs, and I can't remember seeing any pictures of DB 60 on the Mendip ones. but at the end of the day it's your layout :-)

Other way round I meant. FL currently haul Mendip, DB currently haul Tarmac AFAIK. So I am wondering whether to do FL66 on Mendip (usually 59s) or DB 60 on Tarmac (usually 66).

I'd rather have a 60 for DB duties since I do not currently have one. Otherwise it would be a Hattons 66 and I already have 4 of them. The FL option would be then in hope of Dapol doing an appropriate 59 too.

Edited by TomScrut

@TomScrut

Mendip Rail traffic sees lots of 66s, every subclass and every colour have worked Mendip services since the takeover in November. We've even had the pink one on it for a bit. Just put Whatley Freightliner or Merehead Freightliner into Flickr, loads of pics on there.

Jo

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1