30368's Workbench SR Loco's with a bit of LNER

• RMweb Premium
On 10/06/2021 at 15:44, Jack Benson said:

An album of images of the S11

Thanks Jack, much appreciated.

Chassis now fitted to running plate. This very old LSWR kit has some very good features and some of the castings are very good.

2089996473_IMG_6554(2).JPG.c7d92ccb59e9fe4cbf8f55c67661e076.JPG

461094980_IMG_6555(2).JPG.c0057e070e5381a9b27e8255da22513f.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 3

Guest Jack Benson

Despite making utterances about no more locos, the S11 is a particular favourite and many years ago  I acquired an wide cab T9 from SEF together with a tatty BEC 6w tender with an intention to have a go. I will be following this with interest.

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

Despite making utterances about no more locos, the S11 is a particular favourite and many years ago  I acquired an wide cab T9 from SEF together with a tatty BEC 6w tender with an intention to have a go. I will be following this with interest.

StaySafe

PDK have indicated they are going to do both an S11 and L12. 

• Informative/Useful 2

Guest Jack Benson
9 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

PDK have indicated they are going to do both an S11 and L12. 

Duncan,

That is very good news indeed. Thank you.

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Duncan,

That is very good news indeed. Thank you.

StaySafe

And there is me having already stripped a T9, removed the boiler to use on an L11, cut out the cab / splasher sides, cut out the splasher tops / cab front, a set of frames and got a friend to 3d print the chimney as it has to be one of the original ones to do 404. Lol. 

Guest Jack Benson

Taking a lead from Richard, four 24mm Romfords are inbound, the rest of the wheels will appear as and when but the motordrive components will have to wait until HighLevel return to the fray.

If it is of any use, the S11 online gallery will receive updates when I can find new images, unfortunately no cab views but things might improve.

This is going to be an adventure with Richard leading the charge.

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Taking a lead from Richard, four 24mm Romfords are inbound, the rest of the wheels will appear as and when but the motordrive components will have to wait until HighLevel return to the fray.

If it is of any use, the S11 online gallery will receive updates when I can find new images, unfortunately no cab views but things might improve.

This is going to be an adventure with Richard leading the charge.

StaySafe

I think the cab layout  would have been very similar to a T9 (or that's my assumption anyway based on the side on GA) 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Markits wheels and gearbox/motor have arrived from Branchlines. After some additioanl clearance filing of running plate wheeled chassis fits running plate nicely with the correct ride height for the buffers etc. I agree with Blandford, the cab layout would be very similar to the T9, Drummond like many CM&EEs in the early 20th Century adopted standardisation and the LSWR was not an exception. Urie continued the theme.

1074374787_IMG_6556(2).JPG.1d17ede8770d7db952dfe1b45b0f1a71.JPG

645789582_IMG_6557(2).JPG.cf4a699b2bb1831611300a0b28e1c320.JPG

PDK D15 kit and SEFT9/Scratchbuilt L12 at my earlier incarnation of 70D. All built by me a good few years ago now.

2037025282_D15andL12at70D.jpg.aeec3f1283895a36ee05fd6e55759765.jpg

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Started work on the scratch built parts - cab and splasher sides from 10 thou brass sheet. A bit thin but closer to prototype and will be strong enough once assembled with specticle plate and roof. Its always satisfying to mark out, cut out (with my fathers large shears - he was a master tailor) and then file to profile. I will use one side as a template for the other side.

I am using  JH Russell's " A Pictorial Record of Southern Locomotives" needs to be treated with care but a valuable source of line drawings in 4mm scale.

Almost finished

1490579473_IMG_6560(2).JPG.3185aa43934071689e68459833cd7227.JPG

Very temp fit with blutack

2034296786_IMG_6558(2).JPG.69c9239bf9bfa6a8ad2b1b61d2aa2be6.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

The loco I am modelling 30398 seems to have had the lipped chimney fitted until the end so the attractive one.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368

• RMweb Premium

A bit of an update - I have now completed the second cabside/spasher section. They both look pretty good.

On another matter my "goody bag" arrived from Markits today which included spot on wheels for the E4 0-6-2T that I am building and some of Mark's really wonderful brass Westinghouse air pumps but the star is an absolutely perfect chimney for the v.old Wills E5 kit that I will eventually complete. Thanks Mark, really good work.

Cab sides looking good.

919835295_IMG_6561(2).JPG.7067e167e2998fb74520fd9a12f38f66.JPG

I don't usually take pictures of parts sealed in bags but these Markets parts deserve it. If only my pictures were as good!

1291929569_IMG_6562(2).JPG.af7f03555db93115215f07b85493be72.JPG

I would also like to "plug" Markits solderless return cranks. I used them on the A2/3 and A1/1 that I built a while back. They are, as expected, of the highest quality and work so much better than a soldered on return crank.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Further to your comment on Russel's diagram I have compared it to the GA in Bradleys book on LSWR engines and it seems like a fairly good match. 

Whilst it is a side on GA it does look very similar to that for other engines at the time. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Phoenix offer a suitable lipped chimney and the earlier lipped version.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the tip - do you have contact details? I can only find a model aircraft supplier with that name.

Kind regards,

Richard B

38 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the tip - do you have contact details? I can only find a model aircraft supplier with that name.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard,

Great work as always. I believe he is speaking of Phoenix Precision Paints. Perhaps one of these?

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/chimneys

Regards,

Matti

Guest Jack Benson

In anticipation of Paul Hill’s S11, I have managed to track down both 24mm drivers AND axles/ old style crankpins. The motordrive will have to wait until High Level returns to the fray in September.

For a few people’s delight, Paul also plans to release a T14…….a real loco with wow factor..

StaySafe

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Matti8 said:

Great work as always. I believe he is speaking of Phoenix Precision Paints. Perhaps one of these?

Many thanks Matti. Yes that is correct.

How are you getting on with this site? Lots of useful tips I hope?

Kind regards,

Richard B

43 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Many thanks Matti. Yes that is correct.

How are you getting on with this site? Lots of useful tips I hope?

Kind regards,

Richard B

I am getting along just fine Richard, thank you. I have learned quite a bit in my short time on here.

Regards,

Matti

• RMweb Premium

I shall be following with interest!  For boiler fittings, the S11, L12 and D15 all were similar, so a good "mix and match"

One difference with the S11 is that the frames step up at the smokebox saddle, similar to the D15 (but without the front extensions) whereas the T9 and L12 don't

I've just about got my head around all the Drummond 440 differences, but I still have to look closely at photos when trying to decide which is which.  Jack Benson's galleries are a great help!

As for cab interiors, you would be on pretty safe ground to assume that they are all similar to the T9

Cheers, Dave.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DLT said:

One difference with the S11 is that the frames step up at the smokebox saddle, similar to the D15

HI Dave,

Yes all noted thanks. I also have Bradley's book which has reproductions of many LSWR GAs. One point of interest is that the S11 cylinders were inclined wereas all other Drummond 4-4-0's were parallel with the frames. The GAs also show that S11 and L12 have 8ft 6in boiler pitch and D15 at 8ft 9in. I have suitable boiler fittings having collected over the years a good selection of Drummond bits. Thanks to Jack (and Matti) I have located a suitable chimney from Phoenix Precision Paints.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 3

Guest Jack Benson

Beware of assumptions, the interior of the T9 cab differed from the D15, it should not assumed that all Drummond cabs were identical in their layout.

However, who has the ability to prove you wrong?

spacer.png

spacer.png

StaySafe

Edited by Jack Benson