Evening everyone, I have tried and failed to get anything of decent size up and running for a number of years and decided that after accepting a new job that will required a relocation north to the Bristol area and the associated house move that will follow in the next 6 to 15 months, that I would do something much smaller, so that I can spend lockdown (what is left) building a layout, that I can learn from and hopefully port into a much bigger layout – or not, at a later stage. The only real space I have available is a corner of the spare bedroom that had been used for the larger layout and now as an home office for me during my work from home stint, so I can only really use part of this. 

I have an interest in the SW and have a number of 800’s and HST for FGW/GWR.  However, I come from the north and spent many years commuting on many Northern Rail/ East Coast and TPE trains into and out of Bingley/Leeds/Huddersfield/Wakefield/York and London, also working all over the network, so have a found memory of this area and the DMU’s that operated in this area.  So, I have shelved the SW stock that I have, shifting a few items and started to purchase some northern area stock from the past 10 years.  The aim is to build a small station for operating typically 1/2/3 car DMU’s (but can facilitate a XC 220 just) with the occasional other visitor. 

The collection will comprise Northern 153/156/158’s (I likely won’t get a 144 at a decent price – but can hope!), while also running a few EMT DMU’s such as a 158 and possibly a 156.  I need to try and limit the extent of the time period, as I like Central Trains as well…  This will give the layout some operational variety and much needed colour, which the GWR lacks these days, while allowing me to remember the days I spent working on and around the network. I also have a fond interest of northern transport. 

Basically, the aim of this layout is to give me a manageable target to build a layout, while we are in the process of switching areas. 

The inspiration for the start of this layout and the possible track layout came from ‘The BRM Guide to Trackplans & Layout Design Volume 3’ with a number of end to end layouts shown in this issue, but the one that impressed me and fitted with my thoughts was Peter Harvey’s St Peter’s Street.  I was taken with the ability to showcase 2 car DMU’s on this layout and was a key aspect of what I wanted in mine.  The orientation has been dictated by having only Peco Large Radius right hand points to hand as well, during the Covid-19 shut down.  The biggest thing I liked with the angled station area, something I have adapted in my layout, to try and break up the linear affect of the straight boards and room corner I have.

The workable area is 3m (9ft 8in) x 1.2m (4ft), with the boards being 0.6m (2ft) wide.  The small dogleg at the end, will likely be for a scenic area, once I have determined how much of width the storage area will take.  Track is Peco Code 75, with electrofrog points being used and I am using a NCE Powercab controller.  Where possible, the units will all be sound fitted, as cost and time permits.  While not neat, I have added foam board as backing to the layout, just to give me a defined working area while constructing and not damaging the walls any further!  All boards are made of 9mm ply, glued and battened together to create 1.2m x 0.6m boxes, bolted together and supported on timber legs.

The layout is nameless at this moment but will give it a suitable name I am sure as it continues to develop. This is always something I struggle with.

A few pictures of where I am to date.

General view of constructed board area - ignore the cork track bed, this has been removed, as i had considered a sectional layout, but gave up on that.  

49934412167_417d58255b_k.jpg20200524_073128 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

The station area will be a two-line centre platform set up, with the Bachmann Great Central buildings providing the station access and egress - via a small elevated scenic area located to the end of the layout.  There is also at this stage, an additional siding to stable DMU's when not in use, providing some additional capacity when moving units between the scenic and siding area. 

View looking from end of platform towards pointed area and what will lead into hidden storage area. 

49941527413_adb40c9804_k.jpg20200527_164345 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

I haven’t decided what to do with the area to the left in this picture yet – either it will be a number of old cottages, some industrial buildings or a couple of diesel sidings for freightliner etc… I will consider this as I concentrate on the station and fiddle yard area.

Some general station pictures

49941526413_207bd0d551_k.jpg20200527_164329 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

49942342722_32f3cda54f_k.jpg20200527_164352 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

I was lucky enough to get hold of a Rainbow Railways Respray Norther Class 156 and I am very impressed with the quality of the reprint and how far it has come.  These units will form the backbone of the layout as I continue to develop it and this has to be as good as what comes out of the factory for resprays and I will endeavour to get more from them.

49941528308_8820c3c8f6_k.jpg20200527_164355 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

That’s the update from the past few days and I am doing bits as when time permits.  The good thing about the layout is that if I am having a few minutes from work, it is just there and allows a break for 5minutes.

Edited by GEOEng03
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

There has been some intermittent work on the layout due to personal circumstances, but the biggest job undertaken was the wiring underneath, which always takes hours to sort.  I have used several units on the track and test points etc… and all works fine, which is great. 

Part of the initial decision was to use concrete sleeper track, but the points I wanted were all wooden sleeper, so there is a mixture of both.  I had placed a concrete section in initially, but felt this looked odd, so this has been changed for wooden sleeper for now.  So have used wooden for the entire entrance to the sidings – not fully correct for a modern image layout.  

49942516671_e161fcc34a_k.jpg20200527_191909 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

Area now I have replaced with wooden sleeper.  This also shows the point work that will lead into the hidden storage yard.  The bridge has been placed there for an idea of what will act as the scenic break.

49973419137_506c52ca52_k.jpg20200605_112300 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

I will construct some form of wall or scenic picture to hide the storage yard.  Haven’t decided what to do to the front of this yet but have a two road engine shed on order and to be delivered, plan on a small Diesel/electric area for additional playability.

49972645658_9f2437197c_k.jpg20200605_112250 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

I have one eye on the move and taking this with me, so I have made attempts to make this portable.  Some sleepers have been fixed to the board and will act as the join when I later come to cut these – they have not yet been soldered.  This is my first attempt at this and while not neat, they are not interfering early on with the track – I may have to revisit this mind.  As it stands, there is at the moment a further one in the visible track area and then five joins within the storage yard.

49942813317_6f9494d78e_k.jpg20200527_191903 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

49942002863_1d3dddf0c9_k.jpg20200527_191859 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

Look back at the station area and points that will lead into the two main platform lines and then DMU stable I have at the moment.

49973159291_52b8c81b21_k.jpg20200605_112303 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

This gives a general and unfixed view of the storage sidings and pointed area I have planned.  It gives me a good amount of flexibility and playability to shift stock between the two platforms.  Appreciate that it is not perfect, but I feel it works well with the space I have available.

49973158866_5bdbd0ff31_k.jpg20200605_112246 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

I have done some more work since these and will capture later, but I need to solder a few additional points and drill holes for droppers and point motors.  The track is currently wired and working with no faults (I remember to break the brass sleepers).

Finally, a new purchase is this East Midland Trains Class 158.  I could only find this DCC Ready, but at an excellent price from Derails. I have pinched the sound trip from my GWR 158 and will use this way for now, given the location of this layout.  I must admit, the changing of chip for the Bachmann model is superb and really should be how all manufacturers allow access to change chips in units.

49972642103_c33323edfe_k.jpg20200605_112312 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

Plan on doing plenty more over the weekend and have a few new purchases on the way, including a couple from Rainbow Railways…

A couple of new purchases arrived today, both Realtrack Class 156 and resparys from Rainbow Railways.  First is a Latest Northern by Arriva white and blue, this will

Compliment the earlier purple livery I ordered.  

49977654421_fdbc2d3a82_k.jpg20200606_163124 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

49977918187_d7304a500f_k.jpg20200606_163131 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

Second is the latest EMR livery applied to the 156 and I am blown away by how good this is.  Printing is crisp and clean and the colours are brilliant. 

49977138783_16dd9b44d2_k.jpg20200606_163144 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

49977917612_47314ec593_k.jpg20200606_163156 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

Just need to source a set of sound chips for the EMR Set, may just standard chip the Northern one until funds provide.  Looking forward to testing both units. 

Cheers

• Like 1