PayPal payments with Rails of Sheffield

MGR Hooper!

Anyone know how to change the PayPal ID for payment on the Rails of Sheffield website? I was trying to order one of Hornby's Terriers today and I wanted to pay via PayPal, however the PayPal ID there is a really old one of mine that is not in use anymore. I'd like to update it to my new PayPal ID but cannot seem to find any option to do that. Neither in the payment page when placing an order or under the payment page where you control all your methods of payment.

Any help will be useful. I have tried contacting Rails of Sheffield but had no response in over a week and a half, understandable due to the current situation. However it is a bit urgent because I do have a couple of orders due this week and need to change the payment method for those as well.

Regards,

Hayley.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

I assume you are talking about a pre-order here.  If you have renamed an existing account, then PayPal may automatically update it or if the account is still in existence then it may still be active, even though you may not have used it for a while.  The issue may be what bank account the old PayPal account is linked to and if there are funds in it to meet the payment.

I wouldn't worry too much, I am sure Rails will be in touch if the payment request to PayPal is rejected.  I am sure that this will not be a problem for them, it happens all the time with debit/credit cards which have expired whilst waiting for a pre-order.

Best wishes and I hope you get a speedy solution.

Roddy

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Have you tried signing out of paypal - perhaps using an incognito/private browsing window?

Old PayPal account is closed. But the email ID I used for that is still showing up under the PayPal selection during checkout.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

I assume you are talking about a pre-order here.  If you have renamed an existing account, then PayPal may automatically update it or if the account is still in existence then it may still be active, even though you may not have used it for a while.  The issue may be what bank account the old PayPal account is linked to and if there are funds in it to meet the payment.

I wouldn't worry too much, I am sure Rails will be in touch if the payment request to PayPal is rejected.  I am sure that this will not be a problem for them, it happens all the time with debit/credit cards which have expired whilst waiting for a pre-order.

Best wishes and I hope you get a speedy solution.

Roddy

Hey, no it's not a renamed PayPal account. It's a brand new one. The older one has been closed. I made a new one. I had an issue when I had to get my Hornby Rocket in Feb, I didn't want RoS to waste time in trying to contact me like last time where the order was then delayed by a week. I only have 3 existing pre-orders and thought I'd change them all to PayPal to quicken the process. That's when I saw the older PayPal ID there and then discovered I couldn't change it anywhere, not even in the checkout page nor elsewhere under my account details.

I hope to hear from them soon, one of the pre-ordered items is due this week.

1 hour ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Hey, no it's not a renamed PayPal account. It's a brand new one. The older one has been closed. I made a new one. I had an issue when I had to get my Hornby Rocket in Feb, I didn't want RoS to waste time in trying to contact me like last time where the order was then delayed by a week. I only have 3 existing pre-orders and thought I'd change them all to PayPal to quicken the process. That's when I saw the older PayPal ID there and then discovered I couldn't change it anywhere, not even in the checkout page nor elsewhere under my account details.

I hope to hear from them soon, one of the pre-ordered items is due this week.

I think you will hear from them when they try to take payment. They are usually very good. I had a pre-order made a couple of years earlier (on Christmas Day = equals drunken alarm bells)  which I had no recollection of making. However they phoned me when the stock arrived as my card had expired. 

The chap on the phone was very understanding when I said I couldn't remember, and even gave me the chance to cancel my entire order there and then with no further questions, but I did want some of the locos and so they sent me a reduced number. 

I tend to do this now, if something changes - just wait until I get a phone call, or email from retailers, and update them that way. Trying online is so much hassle sometimes; so much so that I often end up with two accounts, or even more. 

• Informative/Useful 1

I think you can change the PayPal details through PayPal and not through the dealer options. I believe it's updated automatically. I had similar when my Debit/Credit card details changed - but it was a little while ago.

Cheers,

Philip

25 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I had a similar problem needing to change a postal address for a partly paid order (the Terriers), I just phoned them up and it was sorted in less than 5 minutes.

I would've phoned if only international calling was cheaper.

6 minutes ago, Philou said:

I think you can change the PayPal details through PayPal and not through the dealer options. I believe it's updated automatically. I had similar when my Debit/Credit card details changed - but it was a little while ago.

Cheers,

Philip

I believe that only holds true if you've updated or made changes to an existing account with PayPal. In my case I used to have a PayPal account about 3-4 years ago. I closed that around that time. I have since created a new one a few months ago and I wanted to have this new one listed as a payment option on my RoS account.

• RMweb Gold

Can you add a NEW payment option ? If so add the new Paypal to your account then make it your current payment option. You may find that trying to add a new Paypal may trigger updating the existing one. Just a thought :pardon_mini:

4 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

Can you add a NEW payment option ? If so add the new Paypal to your account then make it your current payment option. You may find that trying to add a new Paypal may trigger updating the existing one. Just a thought :pardon_mini:

Nope, the only option I get is to "ADD NEW CARD", under the whole payment details page of my account, there's only credit.debit cards. Nothing regarding PayPal.

Prior to RoS updating their website, under "Payments and Cards" page, there was a PayPal tab where you could update your PayPal details. I have circled it in red in the image below. Post the website upgrade, it seems to have disappeared.

1252263124_bandicam2020-05-2816-02-00-445.jpg.38d04a926f32d89528f76a2d9d5094b1.jpg