New Quay was Fenland Yard/Bow Lock Wharf and S7 quicky

MarcD

I saw this 4mm layout in a box from Scalescenes and thought what a good idea for a small micro S7 layout. 
I have most of the stock required to run it a a Great Eastern industrial branch and I saw a narrow Boat with "Bow Locks" on it and thought its a great name. Not sure what the product being made will be yet i'm toying with a Brewery or a fire works factory.

Tasks to start with

1. scale everything up, time consuming as its a case if printing each piece out at 176% which doesn't fit that well on an A3 printer.
  2. work out how I'm going to build it. I was thinking either 3mm ply or 3mm foam board covered in DAS or plastikard. 6mm play for the base board.
  3. hand built in-laid track mounted on copper clad and then covered with DAS and the cobbles engraved in.

Should have a bit of time on my hands shortly as No.1 child is going back to school and there doesn't look like we shall be see any exhibitions this side of Christmas.

Marc

Bow Locks brewery wharf.jpg

Edited by MarcD
Name change
  • Like 6

Progress so far all parts have been scaled up. I'm know trying to put all the structural parts on to sheets to work out the number of sheets needed.

There is a no points option with a small traverser which is very tempting. 

Marc

• 2 years later...

Progress on this project has been very slow. And until about a week ago nothing had really been done. However in the last week things have moved very quickly. The baseboard is 50% build, as is the track. I'm hoping to have finished phase 1 by the end of the week. Time is now of the essence as it is going to at least one show before the end of the year. Having put the track plan on to a piece of 4ft by 2ft ply I have realised I have more room than I thought so I have gone for a more rural scene. So the layout will be relocated to somewhere in the fens. And the name will be changed.

Marc

• Like 1

• MarcD changed the title to Fenland Yard was Bow Lock Wharf and S7 quicky
37 minutes ago, MarcD said:

As soon as I have finished the baseboard I will post some pictures of the progress.

Marc

Marc, I have just seen the piccies over on the other channel 👌

Thank you

Craig.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

A bit of progress this week. As I try to recover from Scalefourum. I have ordered some buildings. One of which is a pub. So that will be the "Lock Inn". It's going in to block any view of the scenic brake. I have also got a book on modelling docks and inland waterways which has got lots of ideas. 

I'm hoping to have the majority of the track down tomorrow.  So hopefully I will be able to test roll a wagon over everything by this time tomorrow. 

• MarcD changed the title to New Quay was Fenland Yard/Bow Lock Wharf and S7 quicky

Foam is now down (but not glued) it needs the basin cutting out. 

All the rivets are now fixed in place so track laying can now start as all the rail is cut to length. 

I placed two GER van bodies on the track bed last night so see if the rail spacing is ok. 

IMG_20231006_140515.jpg.2bdf483a1a038cb024ccd6ce5013f4ad.jpg

What do people think? To close?

• Like 1

Well, this is very interesting.  I had the same notion for 0 gauge and made a start by constructing the buildings.  See the link below.  I used 5mm foam core for the building structure, because I couldn't get 3.5mm (I have subsequently got hold of some).

Everything has been on hold for a very long time as I progress my main 0 gauge layout.

I shall monitor this for ideas for my version.

John

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MarcD said:

Foam is now down (but not glued) it needs the basin cutting out. 

All the rivets are now fixed in place so track laying can now start as all the rail is cut to length. 

I placed two GER van bodies on the track bed last night so see if the rail spacing is ok. 

IMG_20231006_140515.jpg.2bdf483a1a038cb024ccd6ce5013f4ad.jpg

What do people think? To close?

What width are the wagons? They look very narrow given the rails are 4’ 8.5” apart?