Sentinel railcar interior details

• RMweb Premium

SENTENEL RAILCARS

Extracts from the Manufactures Brochure, November 1929

Of course the Sentinel railcars were driven from both ends. This is the rear drivers compartment.

post-6751-127644008196_thumb.jpg

post-6751-127644007624_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

SENTENEL RAILCARS

That lump of metal under the floor at the front. This is quite complex and is the six cylinder engine. Does the newcast one look anything like this?

post-6751-127678752866_thumb.jpg

post-6751-12767875309_thumb.jpg

post-6751-127678752615_thumb.jpg

I am not sure about the buffer beam. All my research, including talking to Doncaster paint shop staff in the 60's, reveals black buffer beams and buffer stocks. It would be logical for them to be red, but did the artist who coloured the illustration of TIMES think that way as well? We shall probably never know, but my bet is on black.

• RMweb Premium

I am not sure about the buffer beam. All my research, including talking to Doncaster paint shop staff in the 60's, reveals black buffer beams and buffer stocks. It would be logical for them to be red, but did the artist who coloured the illustration of TIMES think that way as well? We shall probably never know, but my bet is on black.

A brief look at all the photos that I have seen of Railcars in clean condition there is no obvious difference in colour (B&W photos) between the buffer stocks and the buffer beam. My interpretion is that both were black, I have one (ColourRail) slide of a green railcar. I must dig it out and see if it sheds any light on this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

SENTENEL RAILCARS

This shows the underfloor structral members.

post-6751-127776211399_thumb.jpg

Next the leading (driving) bogie showing the drive to the leading axle.

Super detail modellers would do well to study this closely.

post-6751-127776211163_thumb.jpg

A similar photo of the trailing bogie.

post-6751-127776210645_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to enter my query or if I should start a new thread.

I am researching the Southern Railway Sentinel Railcar for information to build a 4mm scale model to run on OO track. I started looking through the RMweb pages and found this thread.

I have got a copy of David Gould's book by the Oakwood Press and it has one side view drawing and a photograph. I have also got a couple of photographs of it on the Westerham Valley Branch and a couple on the Devil's Dyke line.

Is anybody aware of any proper drawings for it or any further information on it.

In the David Gould book it shows that it had completely different bogies, streamlined curved ends and lighter construction than the other versions.

I intend using a OO tram motor to power it as I think I can hide it reasonably well. If anyone has any further suggestions I would be very grateful.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to enter my query or if I should start a new thread.

I am researching the Southern Railway Sentinel Railcar for information to build a 4mm scale model to run on OO track. I started looking through the RMweb pages and found this thread.

I have got a copy of David Gould's book by the Oakwood Press and it has one side view drawing and a photograph. I have also got a couple of photographs of it on the Westerham Valley Branch and a couple on the Devil's Dyke line.

Is anybody aware of any proper drawings for it or any further information on it.

In the David Gould book it shows that it had completely different bogies, streamlined curved ends and lighter construction than the other versions.

I intend using a OO tram motor to power it as I think I can hide it reasonably well. If anyone has any further suggestions I would be very grateful.

Find yourself a copy of 'British Railcars 1900 to 1950' published by Atlantic in 1996 (ISBN 0-906899-64- 8). This contains a 4mm scale drawing including interior details.

• 1 month later...

Find yourself a copy of 'British Railcars 1900 to 1950' published by Atlantic in 1996 (ISBN 0-906899-64- 8). This contains a 4mm scale drawing including interior details.

I was lucky enough to get a copy of this book for Christmas and A Pictorial Record of Southern Steam Locomotives, both of which have good drawings of the railcar however there appears to be some differences in the drawings.

One drawing in the second book shows the rear (guards) compartment to have double opening doors and cosequently smaller windows in the doors. It is feasible that the guards doors were split to allow faster loading of large luggage or parcels. Can anyone verify this. Also does anybody know what livery would have been applied to this railcar.

• RMweb Premium

The photographs clearly show a single door, but these were taken when the vehicle was new. It is possible that the double doors where a later modification. As for livery the photograph showing the luggage compartment door open and clearly marked 'luggage' in the Southern 'sunshine' style might be a clue. It is also possible if the vehicle was modified it may well have carried more than one livery.

• 2 years later...

Dear Members, to clarify few points about sentinel :

CGR (Ceylon Government Railways) Had 2 type of NG Sentinels. One as above in 1st page which I have my profile picture. This is V2 class. we had another earlier version of NG sentinel called V1 class. Specs are like this :

V1- Wheel arrangement - A1-2
Type- Chain Driven steam rail car.
Builders- Sentinel.
Tractive Effort- 100hp at 450 rpm.

Unfortunately, these were scrapped in 1940s. I heard it had a flexible frame (Engine compartment and passenger compartment separately)

Do you have any detail of this? thanks.

Archived