The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Pay pal security measures

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Just tried to log on to Paypal and they wont let me without a SMS pass code message to my mobile.

Sorry don't use the mobile, so I tried to contact them by their e-mail contact details

Contact e-mail not in use during Covid-19

What a shambles

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Maybe I’m reading too much into the wording, but you imply that you have a mobile but you don’t use it. It’s only a text message with a code to type into the PayPal site 

I was concerned that they might want the mobile number so they can bombard me with unwanted rubbish.

I do not give out the mobile number to anyone whose motives are unknown.

Since I had the message I wondered if the landline would work as it can receive SMS.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I was concerned that they might want the mobile number so they can bombard me with unwanted rubbish

I've never had anything but they send plenty of emails, that's their favoured method of bombardment.

I think you'll be quite safe.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I have every sympathy M.  Here we don't have a mobile signal.  So we don't have mobile phones.

This performance which is about as secure as using wire mesh to hold back water is becoming a right pain in the proverbial.  I have just emailed my French bank who are going to insist on sending an SMS code every quarter so we can access out account via the internet.  They no longer send paper statements, so in 3 months time we will be running our account blind - or rather if they insist, we won't.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I was concerned that they might want the mobile number so they can bombard me with unwanted rubbish.

I do not give out the mobile number to anyone whose motives are unknown.

Since I had the message I wondered if the landline would work as it can receive SMS.

THe GDPR rules are very strict so a big company like PayPal cannot do this without your permission. It looks like they are trying to apply a process known as 'two-factor authentication' to your account which to be fair is a very secure way to ensure that some lowlife doesn't try and walk off with your money. So in this case if you do have a mobile it is a good use for it!

• Agree 6

It's not much use if you don't have mobile coverage! Many of the online banks/credit card companies are now operating this system. Visa seem to have abandoned it. I don't have any trouble using Paypal for online purchases but the problem does crop up when I want to transfer money. I have found a way around it but it's probably not best to post it here. 

• RMweb Premium

I've had the bank offer to send a code or call the landline with a code - it shouldn't rely on mobile alone. Some landline providers will accept texts (it'll read them out using text to speech software).

• RMweb Gold

We did have a nightmare with this a while back, had entered the office landline for the work account a few years back, last year we relocated and re-routed the phones to head office....with a dial 1 for x, dial 2 for y....

Almost all finance institutions are implementing this, and you will commonly come across it during online shopping At checkout in the coming months with your bank texting you instead of the “verified by visa” password screen.  No more discrete ordering on the iPad whilst the wife is at the other end of the sofa for me.....

As a aside the original verified by visa seemed to lock into the MAC address of your devices processor,  don’t know if this will do the same.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Reorte said:

I've had the bank offer to send a code or call the landline with a code - it shouldn't rely on mobile alone. Some landline providers will accept texts (it'll read them out using text to speech software).

My bank sends a voice "passcode" to my landline whenever I make an unusual transaction e.g. a new payee for a DD or large transfer of funds.

The landline phone system should be able to display SMS text directly (according to the instructions) but what texts do arrive are converted to speech by BT's system.

Edited by melmerby

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

My bank sends a voice "passcode" to my landline whenever I make an unusual transaction e.g. a new payee for a DD or large transfer of funds.

The landline phone system should be able to display SMS text directly (according to the instructions) but what texts do arrive are converted to speech by BT's system.

I use Paypal here in Australia, and for over two years they have at times sent passcodes to my mobile via SMS to confirm my payment request.  As another has mentioned it is part of a Two-Factor Authentication process to make sure your Paypal isn't being used fraudulently.   As we are increasingly being pushed online for banking, my banking service providers also use Two-Factor Authentication via SMS occasionally.  With less and less people having landline telephones be aware that your telecommunications company may stop SMS services to landline, as they (Telstra) did here in Australia about two years ago. 

Why not just by a cheap Pay As You Go phone, such as this one I found at random? (I have no connection with Tesco, and I don't shop there). 

https://www.tescomobile.com/shop/pay-as-you-go/alcatel/2038x

Keep that number private and only use it for two-stage Paypal/bank security services. Never use it for outgoing purposes, and keep the phone in a safe place where it will not be found easily by third parties. 

If you do get any incomings, other than text messages with bank codes, you will know they are spam/phishing attempts and can block the numbers. 

Somebody managed to gain access to my ebay account a few weeks ago by apparently guessing my email password on Plusnet and temporarily changing my ebay password. They bought a cheap tricycle in Florida which flagged Paypal, however it's advisable to set text alerts and one time PIN on all payments.

I've always done that on Amazon purchases and it works fine with a cheap pay as you go mobile at no cost.

Same with my online bank account.

Edited by maico

53 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

Still doesn't solve the problem of having no mobile coverage.

Sorry no, I was really replying to Melmerby's original problem. 

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I wonder how the OP has go before he gets coverage

My phone does work sometimes where I live but the coverage is flaky

Doesn't work downstairs in the lounge but is better upstairs.

Never get a full signal, we live in a dip so at the top of the road is 100%

Where we are it's very variable depending on where you stand.

When we have had tradesmen in they usually end up somewhere in the road if they need to use the phone.

EDIT Hence why I don't use a mobile at home.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

If it's any consolation, I have the same problem with Barclaycard, where I've held a card for more than 30 years. I moved abroad in 2004, but now if I want to make an online purchase I can't. They want my mobile number, which I am happy to provide - but it has to be a UK number! So they don't get the sales they might.

Incidentally, although most of my ebay purchases are on ebay UK, my PayPal account has to be in France (currency laundering regs, thanks to 9/11) so I transfer my pension from UK to France, and then pay again for exchanging it back to Sterling to pay for UK goods!

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

Isn't it a bit like being a member of say RMweb though? Their house, their rules? if you don't like it don't use PayPal.

Personally I like it as it would seem to be another layer of protection against some low life getting hold of the last 50p in my account. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

RMweb does not command a semi-monopoly

Edit to add: I too like Paypal but actions that they are forced to enact by governmental requirements can alienate customers through no fault of either party.

Edited by Andy Hayter

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

My phone does work sometimes where I live but the coverage is flaky

Doesn't work downstairs in the lounge but is better upstairs.

Never get a full signal, we live in a dip so at the top of the road is 100%

Where we are it's very variable depending on where you stand.

When we have had tradesmen in they usually end up somewhere in the road if they need to use the phone.

EDIT Hence why I don't use a mobile at home.

Does your mobile service provider not offer wi-fi calling? Mine will but refuses to do so on a PAYG contract ....

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, RFS said:

Does your mobile service provider not offer wi-fi calling? Mine will but refuses to do so on a PAYG contract ....

I'm on PAYG because the limited amount of use makes a contract pointless.

I did used to have a contract but went over to PAYG becuse it was cheaper overall.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1