The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Pay pal security measures

melmerby

12 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

If it's any consolation, I have the same problem with Barclaycard, where I've held a card for more than 30 years. I moved abroad in 2004, but now if I want to make an online purchase I can't. They want my mobile number, which I am happy to provide - but it has to be a UK number! So they don't get the sales they might.

Incidentally, although most of my ebay purchases are on ebay UK, my PayPal account has to be in France (currency laundering regs, thanks to 9/11) so I transfer my pension from UK to France, and then pay again for exchanging it back to Sterling to pay for UK goods!

My PayPal account is in Ireland but I have two cards registered, one on my Irish account and one with my UK account. If its a Pound Sterling purchase PayPal take it off my UK account (giving me the opportunity to check that's what I want) if it's in Euros it comes off my Irish account.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

If it's any consolation, I have the same problem with Barclaycard, where I've held a card for more than 30 years. I moved abroad in 2004, but now if I want to make an online purchase I can't. They want my mobile number, which I am happy to provide - but it has to be a UK number! So they don't get the sales they might.

Not sure why that is, I've had a Barclaycard for years but never once had any sort of call or message when making an online purchase. Not even sure I have given them my mobile number!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

"The customer is King" saying is no longer relevant it seems.

Rob

Was it ever?

I always thought it was the banks.

They never lose, if they do they are not being run properly.

• RMweb Premium
On 30/05/2020 at 02:14, Killybegs said:

Still doesn't solve the problem of having no mobile coverage.

Or forgetting to charge it, if it's sole purpose in life...

Edited by kevinlms
Spelling

54 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

"The customer is King" saying is no longer relevant it seems.

More "The King is dead. Long live the King".

Rob

Exactly. In my experience over the last 25-30 years, it is the companies who make such a fuss of making customers their number one priority who do the precise opposite. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Not sure why that is, I've had a Barclaycard for years but never once had any sort of call or message when making an online purchase. Not even sure I have given them my mobile number!

It’s a new security protocol mandated by the FCA, all banks/payment service providers are rolling it out at the moment. I think they are doing it gradually rather than upset all customers at once...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Was it ever?

I always thought it was the banks.

They never lose, if they do they are not being run properly.

A bit like bookmakers.

But I did vaguely know an inept bookie who inherited a few shops from his dad. He didn't have a clue and was losing money by the bucket load, then sold them to Fred Done some point in the 1990s for a pittance.

No sympathy as he isn't a very nice person. Spent it all on alcohol and drugs.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some form of security is necessary but annoying when the set up process is done badly, as this whole SMS system is proving to be. I can’t access my HSBC account on the laptop, reason there is never enough time from getting the SMS code on my phone to reaching the point in the lap top screen inputs where the code is to be input/accepted. (The code is very short time limited.) and some functions are not available to change in the phone app. I don’t want to use the phone for e-banking due to the small screen but to use the laptop requires getting a one-use access code first via the app on the phone! 

Once normality resumes and getting over to bank in person is perceived as safe I will be asking the bank to cancel my internet banking option, it is not user friendly.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, john new said:

Some form of security is necessary but annoying when the set up process is done badly, as this whole SMS system is proving to be. I can’t access my HSBC account on the laptop, reason there is never enough time from getting the SMS code on my phone to reaching the point in the lap top screen inputs where the code is to be input/accepted. (The code is very short time limited.) and some functions are not available to change in the phone app. I don’t want to use the phone for e-banking due to the small screen but to use the laptop requires getting a one-use access code first via the app on the phone! 

Once normality resumes and getting over to bank in person is perceived as safe I will be asking the bank to cancel my internet banking option, it is not user friendly.

I have no problem using Internet Banking with Lloyds bank.

For most transactions the two part logging in on the PC is sufficient but unusual transactions mean getting a 4 digit passcode which is sent in vocal form (machine generated) to my landline, a phone of which sits next to the PC.

Whilst carrying out one of these unusual transactions I get a box pop up on screen in which the code needs to be entered and the phone rings at the same time, I pick up phone and enter code as spoken to me.

It's easy.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

HSBC do a stand-alone offline code generator device for online  business banking (I use their hsbcnet system), I wonder if they can provide them to private customers who have reception issues.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

HSBC do a stand-alone offline code generator device for online  business banking (I use their hsbcnet system), I wonder if they can provide them to private customers who have reception issues.

I've had one for years for home banking with HSBC.  A few months ago the battery finally ran down.  I was worried they were going to push me towards their app (no (reliable) mobile signal here).  Not a problem.  I had an online chat with someone in the cloud, and started by saying app no use to me, I need a new code generator, and one arrived in a week or so.  Only minor hiccup is that once they've ordered a new one, the old one can't be used as the system seems to think the old one is lost or stolen.

My late wife used to have something similar for Barclays.  Barclaycard have sent me something similar for use with the new measures but I've not had to use it yet.

Edited by Metr0Land

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Killybegs said:

Nice to know that Lloyds sometimes get something right.

Never been the same since I left . . . . in 1997 after 25 years. I was never going to be an insurance salesman (with apologies to those who are but things were different then !)

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, melmerby said:

I have no problem using Internet Banking with Lloyds bank.

For most transactions the two part logging in on the PC is sufficient but unusual transactions mean getting a 4 digit passcode which is sent in vocal form (machine generated) to my landline, a phone of which sits next to the PC.

Whilst carrying out one of these unusual transactions I get a box pop up on screen in which the code needs to be entered and the phone rings at the same time, I pick up phone and enter code as spoken to me.

It's easy.

Lloyds have also been pushing messages about requiring further measures soon, which AFAICT will involve doing something similar when you log in unless you've said a particular device is trusted.

On 29/05/2020 at 19:20, melmerby said:

My phone does work sometimes where I live but the coverage is flaky

Doesn't work downstairs in the lounge but is better upstairs.

Never get a full signal, we live in a dip so at the top of the road is 100%

Where we are it's very variable depending on where you stand.

When we have had tradesmen in they usually end up somewhere in the road if they need to use the phone.

EDIT Hence why I don't use a mobile at home.

OK so you have to go upstairs to get a signal, would something like this help, or perhaps this .

There are lots of potential solutions, have you spoken to your provider?

Edited by PenrithBeacon
more words

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

OK so you have to go upstairs to get a signal, would something like this help, or perhaps this .

There are lots of potential solutions, have you spoken to your provider?

Why?

I don't want to. It's all extra cost for no benefit to me.

I have a landline that does the job just fine.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Ok that's fine but why the OP?

Because Paypal, unlike some other banking type organisations now want a mobile number (only) to complete transactions.

If others can use a landline as an option why not Paypal?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 30/05/2020 at 07:59, melmerby said:

I'm on PAYG because the limited amount of use makes a contract pointless.

I did used to have a contract but went over to PAYG becuse it was cheaper overall.

But the point was, do you have the wifi calling option on your mobile. It uses your internet wifi to boost the mobile signal.