The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Pay pal security measures

melmerby

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

But the point was, do you have the wifi calling option on your mobile. It uses your internet wifi to boost the mobile signal.

No

Vodafone only do it for certain "upper level" contracts and certain handsets sold by them. Not PAYG.

Other handsets may work but not guaranteed

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

No

Vodafone only do it for certain "upper level" contracts and certain handsets sold by them. Not PAYG.

OK

• RMweb Premium

Following from all the previous faffing about I was having with Paypal, I have just made a purchase from a company I where I use this method and it went through straight away without any extra level of authentication than normal.

• RMweb Gold

I just made an online purchase from Herefordshire models who I've used before.  During the checkout I got one of the occasional messages from Paypal asking me to add my mobile number which comes up from time to time and I've declined in the past.  I live in an area with poor/no mobile coverage but have BT landline.

I'm sure I've tried in the past to add my landline (as BT are perfectly able to convert text to speech) but got rejected by Paypal who want a mobile number. 

I thought I'd try again so typed in +44 1559 ****** (ie dropping the lead zero from my area code) and this time it was accepted.  A slight word of warning if anyone else tries, they send a 6 digit number and instead of BT converting it  to say 5 3 6 5 5 2 the voice recognition thingy said five hundred and thirty six thousand etc so I had to replay the message as my brain wasn't ready for that format.

I've just had a confirmation email from Paypal saying 'You've updated your mobile number' 

• Informative/Useful 4

On 01/06/2020 at 21:01, melmerby said:

No

Does it have to be Vodafone?  

I've got HiFi connections from a GiffGaff six quid PAYG, but it may depend on what your handset is capable of. 

Edited by billbedford

On 01/06/2020 at 21:01, melmerby said:

No

If your provider is being difficult, change to one who will provide the service you need. I have to say that the longer this thread gets the less sympathy I have for your situation.

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

If your provider is being difficult, change to one who will provide the service you need. I have to say that the longer this thread gets the less sympathy I have for your situation.

Thanks for no thanks. That's rather a nasty attitude to take.

I don't want to use a mobile for anything and everything, can't you understand that?

It's a phone. I use it as a phone, everything else is set up online on a landline.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Guest Half-full
11 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Thanks for no thanks. That's rather a nasty attitude to take.

I don't want to use a mobile for anything and everything, can't you understand that?

It's a phone. I use it as a phone, everything else is set up online on a landline.

Times are changing though and unfortunately we'll all have to adapt if we want an easy life, there are ways around all problems, thought its up to the individual if they want to adapt

I've found I've had to change my ways on technology over the past few years to save stressing myself out at what should be simple proceedures!  I updated all my online/digital/mobile ways of communitcation/entertainment to the then current standards a couple of years ago (cable internet/smart phone/full internet banking/no landline etc) and I've not had any real problems since.

Sometimes, we just have to bite the bullet

36 minutes ago, melmerby said:

But if you have to jump through a whole bunch of hoops to get minimum use from it there is no point in keeping the present arrangement. I'm sure Vodaphone won't be a sentimental about keeping your business as you seem to be about giving them your money for a p*ss poor service. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Half-full said:

Times are changing though and unfortunately we'll all have to adapt if we want an easy life, there are ways around all problems, thought its up to the individual if they want to adapt

I've found I've had to change my ways on technology over the past few years to save stressing myself out at what should be simple proceedures!  I updated all my online/digital/mobile ways of communitcation/entertainment to the then current standards a couple of years ago (cable internet/smart phone/full internet banking/no landline etc) and I've not had any real problems since.

Sometimes, we just have to bite the bullet

That sums up some of why I'm getting more and more disillusioned with technology and modernity in general. It's not what would be simple procedures, it's what always were simple procedures anyway but now require more high tech stuff just to do the basics. People who have a go at others for being annoyed with that just reinforce my view. And if something irritates something they should say so without being criticised for it, just as much as they should be able to say they like something. We might be forced to bit the bullet but that doesn't mean we should like it, doesn't mean we shouldn't say we should like it, and doesn't mean we should pretend we prefer the changed world.

Anyone who's happy with it all - good for you. But all too often it sounds like "I like this and I don't like other people not being pleased with it, so shut up!"

So far I'm managing fine without a mobile of any sort.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, billbedford said:

But if you have to jump through a whole bunch of hoops to get minimum use from it there is no point in keeping the present arrangement. I'm sure Vodaphone won't be a sentimental about keeping your business as you seem to be about giving them your money for a p*ss poor service. 

I 'm only giving them money when I use the phone and that is when I am away from the house, where it works perfectly.

The phone has two sim slots, I have thought of having a second sim for a different network to get the best out of them.

What I object to is this idea that you must have a mobile number for companies to contact you on.

Why? It makes no difference to them whether they are calling a landline or a mobile, in fact a landline is more secure. Many organisations don't mind what you use but some insist on a mobile.

However it seems that Paypal will accept a landline if you put the number in the right form.

Edit

Just needed to enter a "passcode" into my Paypal account so I used the landline number and it worked.

So thanks for the heads up Metr0land.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

I thought I'd try again so typed in +44 1559 ****** (ie dropping the lead zero from my area code) and this time it was accepted. 

That isn't surprising, since that ought to be the correct format. It's precisely what is required when calling from outside the UK - in your case.

Guest Half-full
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

That sums up some of why I'm getting more and more disillusioned with technology and modernity in general. It's not what would be simple procedures, it's what always were simple procedures anyway but now require more high tech stuff just to do the basics. People who have a go at others for being annoyed with that just reinforce my view. And if something irritates something they should say so without being criticised for it, just as much as they should be able to say they like something. We might be forced to bit the bullet but that doesn't mean we should like it, doesn't mean we shouldn't say we should like it, and doesn't mean we should pretend we prefer the changed world.

Anyone who's happy with it all - good for you. But all too often it sounds like "I like this and I don't like other people not being pleased with it, so shut up!"

So far I'm managing fine without a mobile of any sort.

I certainly wasnt having a go at the OP, or anyone, but its the way of the world now.  I would be perfectly happy if I could continue in the way I used to, letters, sae, cheque, land line phone calls.  It worked, but companies face increasing costs to run - a large amount of that cost is in staff welfare, and cant afford to be left behind in technology stakes while others who are more advanced romp away.

I've worked for the same company (a utility) for almost 35 years, in that time costs have risen horrendously just to keep the doors open, and if we had to pass those costs on to the customer - ie all of us, we wouldnt have any disposable income to spend on our hobbies, so the company has to adapt to lower running costs, which results in changes to the way things work, to keep the majority of customers happy and to attract new customers from rival companies who are used to such things.

I could manage without a mobile quite easily, I choose not to but I dont deride you for not having one.  Its your choice.  

Your comment from above could easily be on the other foot

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

instead of BT converting it  to say 5 3 6 5 5 2 the voice recognition thingy said five hundred and thirty six thousand etc so I had to replay the message as my brain wasn't ready for that format.

I had one that was a free call number, which in Australia is 1800 ### ###. Yep, that got read out as in many trillions/millions! Try making sense of that the first time around.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Half-full said:

Your comment from above could easily be on the other foot

Fair enough, although I don't think I've ever said "shut up" or words to that effect (and apologies if I have!) I've strongly disagreed often enough with people portraying things negatively that I like but better they do that than keep quiet IMO (as long as it doesn't get personal, although when you get contrasts in values the line at which it is personal is rather fuzzy).

I've worked for the same company (a utility) for almost 35 years, in that time costs have risen horrendously just to keep the doors open, and if we had to pass those costs on to the customer - ie all of us, we wouldnt have any disposable income to spend on our hobbies, so the company has to adapt to lower running costs, which results in changes to the way things work, to keep the majority of customers happy and to attract new customers from rival companies who are used to such things.

I can see why all these changes happen - it's not a case of not understanding them, just finding that the result of them is a world I like living in less and less, with no sign of that changing. To a degree what you say I see as a viscious circle, albeit one some people are keen to accelerate.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I had one that was a free call number, which in Australia is 1800 ### ###. Yep, that got read out as in many trillions/millions! Try making sense of that the first time around.

With the Paypal passcode call I got the originating number was read out as 0-3-3-3-3-4-4-0-0-0-0 but the passcode was 5 hundred and 65 thousand ... etc.:scratchhead:

:jester:

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Half-full said:

I could manage without a mobile quite easily, I choose not to but I dont deride you for not having one.  Its your choice.  

Yes, I get annoyed at people that say 'the landline is obsolete and a mobile can be cheaper'.

Maybe so, but I was under the impression that in most of the western world at least, people have the right to chose. Their choice might end up costing them more, but it's their decision.

I must admit, I don't quite get where people make life difficult for themselves, if they already have both a landline and mobile, with reasonable signal.

I wonder how the people who insist on paying for everything with cash/cheques are getting on, where many businesses are reluctant (not refusing to accept), anything except contactless transactions, under the Coronavirus?

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, melmerby said:

With the Paypal passcode call I got the originating number was read out as 0-3-3-3-3-4-4-0-0-0-0 but the passcode was 5 hundred and 65 thousand ... etc.:scratchhead:

:jester:

For a short while, I had my mobile set up to read out text messages. That stopped when I was at a customers premises and the mobile started to read out a message reminding me, that the car registration was due soon! It wasn't overdue, but not something anyone else, needs to know!

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I wonder how the people who insist on paying for everything with cash/cheques are getting on, where many businesses are reluctant (not refusing to accept), anything except contactless transactions, under the Coronavirus?

I'm paying by card (including contactless where it's under the limit) at the moment because these are very unusual, exceptional circumstances. I'll be going back to cash once things are eventually back to normal.

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Yes, I get annoyed at people that say 'the landline is obsolete and a mobile can be cheaper'.

Maybe so, but I was under the impression that in most of the western world at least, people have the right to chose. Their choice might end up costing them more, but it's their decision.

I must admit, I don't quite get where people make life difficult for themselves, if they already have both a landline and mobile, with reasonable signal.

People also still have the right to choose a horse and carriage rather than a car, but if they then complain about the lack of hay at service stations...  If one wants use the internet to buy things, and the companies wish to use technology to protect themselves against fraud, then that is part of the price for using their services.  Here in Denmark, during the Corona crisis most shops have stopped accepting cash, and Danish banks stop cashing cheques three year ago, and now even credit cards are on the way out. https://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/news-insights/insight/danish-payment-landscape-when-instant-becomes-new-normal.  We use instant payment systems. Some of the less obvious benefits: school ground bullies can no longer pinch lunch money, the homeless can receive help that can not be later taken in a mugging. P.Y.O. honesty boxes that can not be emptied. Group restaurant bills that ca be spilt easily as people instantly transfer funds to the person who foot the bill.  

image.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Vistisen said:

.  If one wants use the internet to buy things, and the companies wish to use technology to protect themselves against fraud, then that is part of the price for using their services. 

Fair enough, but Mobiles are no more secure than landlines (in fact less so) when used for passcodes etc.

It is just laziness when companies try to force one mode only (for reasons of security) when the alternative is equally valid and secure.

It is after all an automated arrangement where a passcode is randomly generated, a phone is called to relay that information to the user to enter on a website.

It doesn't matter what number the system calls as long as the customer answers and enters the code they hear/see

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Fair enough, but Mobiles are no more secure than landlines (in fact less so) when used for passcodes etc.

It is just laziness when companies try to force one mode only (for reasons of security) when the alternative is equally valid and secure.

It is after all an automated arrangement where a passcode is randomly generated, a phone is called to relay that information to the user to enter on a website.

It doesn't matter what number the system calls as long as the customer answers and enters the code they hear/see

I wonder if it's simply that they don't realise that those messages can be sent to landlines.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

That isn't surprising, since that ought to be the correct format. It's precisely what is required when calling from outside the UK - in your case.

Yes but it wouldn't take it in the past because it doesn't start with 7 (all mobiles in UK start 07)

Guest Half-full
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I can assure you its not!!!!  Its cheaper to have the software developed for a certain number format, than it is for multiple and quite significantly!