looking for signal information

Hello.  This is a first post.  I was referred to RMWEB by Hornby as they suggested this could be a good source of information.  I am from Canada.

This current global health situation has given me an opportunity to start something that I have thought about for years. I had my uncle’s model train set when I was a kid and now that I have grown children of my own, I have finally decided it is time to get into model railroading.

I still have a few pieces from Uncle John’s set, but I don’t have any details about them and I don’t want to fry anything!

Can anyone supply me with any information about the dual signal unit that I have? There are 3 wiring points on the base on side and 2 on the other. I am “guessing” that the middle of the 3 could be a ground line and the connections on each side are to change the signals. I don’t want to start “trying” anything for fear of wrecking the unit.  The first and in my opinion, most important, would be voltage required to throw the signal.

I've attached some photos in the event that they would be helpful.

Thank you!

Michael.

On top of my Audio Visual profession, I am also a licenced Pryo Technician and do professional fireworks displays - hence the Pyroguy nick name!

Signal 1-1.jpg

Signal 1-2.jpg

Signal 1-3.jpg

Signal 1-4.jpg

Signal 1-5.jpg

• RMweb Gold

You are going to need a large layout to be able to place a splitting distant signal.

I think that you are right about the wiring of these. Max current probably 12vDC and they should also work OK on 16vAC. If they are solenoid operated (someone will confirm), you will need passing contact switches or push-to-make push buttons.

The four windings inside, two (>off, >on) for each signal, are rectangular with steel slides. Each slide contains a slot that interacts with the downward arm of the Y-shaped balance weight/operating arm angle. It is quite an elegant and robust design but the slides can get dirty/rusty and jam within the windings. It is quite easy to dismantle the base to clean them up and it is also relatively easy to rewind the windings if you can find suitable wire (which needs to approximately match the ohm rating of its predecessor - all the windings are the same).

They were designed to work on momentary bursts of 16V AC and they will quickly burn out if any significant voltage is applied to them for more than a few seconds.

Your particular signal could be a splitting distant - where there is a facing junction after the home with both routes having a relatively high permitted speed - or it could be a pair of distants on a stretch of line that has parallel main and relief/local tracks with one signal applying to each track. Either way you will need a large layout to accommodate it and they were relatively rare beasts on the real railway.